• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Medal Office Moans-Soldier Mag

Read this in this months Soldier Mag.
Going, going, gong

BOSSES at the Defence Medal Office have voiced their dismay after newly-issued Operation Telic decorations were placed under the hammer on an online auction.

It emerged that the campaign awards, which were first issued in 2004, had been up for sale for hundreds of pounds on the internet site eBay.
The revelations saddened senior officials, who were disappointed that the individually engraved awards were being offloaded to the highest bidder.

A spokesman for the Armed Forces Personnel and Administration Agency, the organisation behind the medal office at RAF Innsworth, Gloucester, said just a handful of thousands of Op Telic decorations handed out had been put up for auction on eBay.

As of the end of November, applications for some 94,486 awards had been approved, leaving a backlog of just over 1,000 to be assessed.But the spokesman admitted that the eBay vendors were commanding significant sums for their decorations, starting at around £150 and rising to £400 or more. He told Soldier: “After all the hard work of the Medal Office staff, it is disappointing to see awards up for auction. In my view those selling their decorations will regret it in the long term. As demonstrated with the ongoing demand for Second World War and the Canal Zone medals, decorations mean something more to veterans as they get older.”

The spokesman said selling a medal to a private bidder meant the award lost its integrity and would probably never be displayed for future generations.
The sales might be isolated incidents but it does hurt us enormously when we see Op Telic medals being auctioned on eBay – the majority of Servicemen and women prize their decorations and work hard to get them,” he added.
Medal Office feature coming soon.
1,000 medals left to be assessed. LIES!!! This annoyed me as what I think they are trying to say is "we've done our job and now you are selling your medals" When really they haven't done their job otherwise this:
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=25437.html
Wouldn't be going on

Saw this article as well. What really fukcing turned me over was this little quote:

forniup said:
“After all the hard work of the Medal Office staff, it is disappointing to see awards up for auction.
Hard work? HARD WORK? Clearly they need to learn a little more about the hard work involved in earning the medal in the first place!

Maybe those that have sold their medals have come on very hard time, there no good if you are on streets sleeping rough???

All they have to do is check the name on the side of the medal to find out who has had to sell theirs!

Regards
Hitback

As of the end of November, applications for some 94,486 awards had been approved, leaving a backlog of just over 1,000 to be assessed.
94486 may have been approved but they havent all been issued.

Would they be even more p1ssed off if we just gave them away instead. What would i want with a medal covered in some shitty brown stains???

Joee said:
Did Op TELIC 1 and still nothing. Was it made of chocolate and melted away?!
There is hope, I got my Telic 1 medal 5 weeks ago. Yes it was stained and it didn't have my Regt number on it.

floppyjocky said:
Joee said:
Did Op TELIC 1 and still nothing. Was it made of chocolate and melted away?!
There is hope, I got my Telic 1 medal 5 weeks ago. Yes it was stained and it didn't have my Regt number on it.
Get a better one off Ebay?

Sorry, I know it just stinks. May I suggest that your RAO writes a letter of complaint signed by your CO, to the Defence Medal Office?

:cry:

The length of time it’s taken to issue, most have most likely left the services. When I finally get mine the plan is to mount it with the others then stick a group of 8 recent issue on eBay. I’m hoping for around £1000 & going on single medal sales I think it may be quite achievable for a group.

hitback said:
Maybe those that have sold their medals have come on very hard time, there no good if you are on streets sleeping rough???

All they have to do is check the name on the side of the medal to find out who has had to sell theirs!

Regards
Hitback
Not always possible; they issued quite a few out with no engraving. My boss has one.