Medal Numerals

Could anyone give me the heads up in relation to numerals mounted on medals, ribbons and minatures? And how does it effect it when there is a rosette?

R173 said:
Could anyone give me the heads up in relation to numerals mounted on medals, ribbons and minatures? And how does it effect it when there is a rosette?
They only go on the shite NATO ones.

spaz said:
_Chimurenga_ said:
As far as I can recall, the only medal ribbon to have numerals mounted on it is the Africa Star, which had either an 8 or a 1, for service in the Eighth Army or First Army, respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Star
Yes but you're a creepy military obsessive with no recent experience of UK ops, so that's not really relevant.
:D

As Spaz says, it is just the NATO/UN types that have numerals so should be no problems with rosettes..............
unless you becoming a bit of a Walt?

As far as I am aware, no numerals have been issued to MoD awarded medals since the Africa Star in WWII. The ones with numerals since have been for the NATO campaigns, with a numeral representing the number of tours.

The rosette is used to represent being in actual theatre of war as it were - rather than just supporting the campaign from a desk somewhere.

Roughly....

Silver on UN medals, bronze on NATO medals, nothing on anything else. You are apparently meant to wear the same size numeral on the relevant ribbon and / or miniature but it looks pump and I can't recall many people doing it.

Edit to add: What medal is it you are talking about in regard to a numeral AND rosette? Can't think of any...

wedge35 said:
Edit to add: What medal is it you are talking about in regard to a numeral AND rosette? Can't think of any...
I have seen a mong wearing a "2" on an Afghanistan OSM before now.

Hairy_Fairy said:
The rosette is used to represent being in actual theatre of war as it were - rather than just supporting the campaign from a desk somewhere.

Roughly....
Not quite accurate,the rosettes are currently used to denote when a "period of war" was enforce ie: the inital invasion of iraq and does not denote the role carried out. So you could have been behind a desk whilst in theatre during the appropriate dates and you would be awarded a rosette.

naked_mole_rat said:
Hairy_Fairy said:

Roughly....
Not quite accurate,the rosettes are currently used to denote when a "period of war" was enforce ie: the inital invasion of iraq and does not denote the role carried out. So you could have been behind a desk whilst in theatre during the appropriate dates and you would be awarded a rosette.

Which is why I put "Roughly".

When talking of sat behind a desk, I was talking about in the UK or cyprus - somewhere out of theatre.

Edited as I had hold of the wrong end of the stick.

naked_mole_rat said:
Hairy_Fairy said:

Roughly....
Yes that is what he said, he meant as opposed to being behind a desk in say Kuwait or Cyprus when the Iraq invasion was going on.

JFLogC didn't want to fall foul of this one on Telic 1 so they upped sticks and moved about 3 metres over the border from Kuwait just in time to qualify. They arrived in Um Quasr in coaches with a load of civvie HGVs full of real beds and sprung mattresses the shitcunts.

Fallschirmjager said:
spaz said:
wedge35 said:
I have seen a mong wearing a "2" on an Afghanistan OSM before now.
That's nothing. Tropper swore blind he saw someone with a number 3 on their medal. :)
Well tropper told me he's got more jumps in than you. :wink:

LAIT said:
A rosette is worn when a bar has been awarded to the medal to which it is appended. This seems a little counter-intuitive as I have UK medals with bars (the most common one is the GSM with Bar NI which most of the soldiers on here will also have) but no rosette so this 'rule' is clearly entirely made-up.
Strictly, these are clasps (specific theatre) rather than bars (repeat awards) but it seems to be the recent rule (Gulf Medal onwards), and the South Atlantic medal is very different - no clasp was issued and the rosette alone represents in-theatre service. And is therefore the only medal where a rosette is worn on the full-size medal as opposed to the ribbon.

Incidentally, I used to believe that the size of ones' chest dictated when medals overlapped. I now hear that the 'rule' is for 6 or more regardless of chest size. Anyone else heard this - or is it bollox?
The old version of JSP336 (i.e. 3rd ed): Vol 12, Part 3, Pam 10, Section 2, Para 11 states "up to and including a quantity of 6 Medals". This guide appears to be missing from the current online version of the JSP (as are many of the other useful trivia guides).

Edited to add - the civvy version of the guide - essentially Spink's Manual - says 5 medals and "will depend ... on the individual's physique". Obviously somebody in a chair of power decided to 'harmonise' the MOD rules when the JSP or a previous version was produced.

Idrach said:
LAIT said:
A rosette is worn when a bar has been awarded to the medal to which it is appended. This seems a little counter-intuitive as I have UK medals with bars (the most common one is the GSM with Bar NI which most of the soldiers on here will also have) but no rosette so this 'rule' is clearly entirely made-up.
Strictly, these are clasps (specific theatre) rather than bars (repeat awards) but it seems to be the recent rule (Gulf Medal onwards), and the South Atlantic medal is very different - no clasp was issued and the rosette alone represents in-theatre service. And is therefore the only medal where a rosette is worn on the full-size medal as opposed to the ribbon.
Not strictly true. The OSM Sierra Leonne also has a rosette on the medal itself to indicate service in Op Barras. The Rosettes used were old stock of SAM rosettes, which are different from the Gulf, telic, afghan ribbon bar rosettes.
MM

MittMayo said:
Not strictly true. The OSM Sierra Leonne also has a rosette on the medal itself to indicate service in Op Barras. The Rosettes used were old stock of SAM rosettes, which are different from the Gulf, telic, afghan ribbon bar rosettes.
Thanks for that. Why they didn't just issue a clasp - which was part of the design principles for the OSM ... Oh well. Stock clearance is a sensible part of logistics husbandry, I suppose.