Medal Numerals

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by R173, Nov 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could anyone give me the heads up in relation to numerals mounted on medals, ribbons and minatures? And how does it effect it when there is a rosette?

2. They only go on the shite NATO ones.

3. Don't do it,it looks shite

4. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

As far as I can recall, the only medal ribbon to have numerals mounted on it is the Africa Star, which had either an 8 or a 1, for service in the Eighth Army or First Army, respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Star

5. Yes but you're a creepy military obsessive with no recent experience of UK ops, so that's not really relevant.

6. :D

7. As Spaz says, it is just the NATO/UN types that have numerals so should be no problems with rosettes..............
    unless you becoming a bit of a Walt?

8. As far as I am aware, no numerals have been issued to MoD awarded medals since the Africa Star in WWII. The ones with numerals since have been for the NATO campaigns, with a numeral representing the number of tours.

The rosette is used to represent being in actual theatre of war as it were - rather than just supporting the campaign from a desk somewhere.

Roughly....

9. Silver on UN medals, bronze on NATO medals, nothing on anything else. You are apparently meant to wear the same size numeral on the relevant ribbon and / or miniature but it looks pump and I can't recall many people doing it.

Edit to add: What medal is it you are talking about in regard to a numeral AND rosette? Can't think of any...

10. There isn't any that I can think of either.....

11. I have seen a mong wearing a "2" on an Afghanistan OSM before now.

12. Not quite accurate,the rosettes are currently used to denote when a "period of war" was enforce ie: the inital invasion of iraq and does not denote the role carried out. So you could have been behind a desk whilst in theatre during the appropriate dates and you would be awarded a rosette.

13. That's nothing. Tropper swore blind he saw someone with a number 3 on their medal. :)

14. £3 on an ebay price tag is not the same though :oops:

15. Which is why I put "Roughly".

When talking of sat behind a desk, I was talking about in the UK or cyprus - somewhere out of theatre.

Edited as I had hold of the wrong end of the stick.