Medal Myths, and other misconceptions.....

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bigjarofwasps, Oct 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

I thought it might be interesting to start a medal myths and misconceptions thread.
    Feel free to post any that you`ve come across.
    I`ll start the ball following.....

No matter how many NATO or UN tours you`ve done, not one day of them counts towards the ACSM.

Another that I`ve notice recently is soldiers, wearing numerals on there Iraq Medals, sorry guys one tour one medal 5 tours one medal, just like the old GSM and the endless tours of Ireland.

Any more anyone?
  2. i have a NATO medal with ISAF clasp, it is blue with a white stripe on either side. the question is can i wear it, as i also have the brit medal for afghanistan with clasp.
  3. No. Next question.
  4. Would be interested to know if theres a NATO or UN version of the ACSM.
    Also does service resulting in the OSM go towards the ACSM, or will there thus be a new gong?
  5. I am pretty sure the UN have such a thing which may be wearable, but when it comes to NATO, even their MSM is not an option.

As to the OSM service, in a word, yes it does. If you're very keen I will get the DIN number if I really have to, but I'm not that bored ;)
  6. How about something like this?
    "I got discharged (3 years in)after a botched Armed robbery with guns from the Armskote and once they had my DNA they tagged the rape and kiddie fiddling charges on too.
    My questions is how do i go about getting my LSGC and can it get sent to Broadmoor in time for Rememberance?"
    Smasher Smiff 867543
  7. I served twenty six days in 1984 in the Ballybollocks ASU of the IRA before enlisting in the Royal Corps of Transport. I served a further five days in Lisburn with the Close support tp before deserting with the boot of my car filled with 9mm ammo and Sterlings. My question is, do I still qualify for the NI GSM or does this broken service disqualify?
    • Like Like x 1

8. Here`s another, medals are worn in the order there issued/awarded, not all the shiney ones first then the NATO,etc,etc.
  9. No
  10. Can I wear a "2" on my Cyprus UN medal as I have done two tours?
  11. can i wear a 3 on my Queens Jubillee medal as i'd done equivalent to 3 lots of 5 years service before the qualifying date?
  12. What a sad thread.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. i was given an american good conduct medal by a visiting yank general-the first thing the rsm said was dont even think of putting that on your no2s...yet now there are guys with silver-bronze us medals have the rules changed and have i got time to get it court mounted next to my reenactors.walt. iron cross....
  14. You have to get permission from the chancery unless of course there is a DIN relating to the class of award you have received...or at least that was the case in the olden days.

15. YES!!!!! :D