medal mounting

#1
Hi guys, dont know if this is the right place to post this, but I need some help on medal mounting. I have recently left the service and need to get my medals cleaned and remounted, anybody with any information on reputable companies to give me a pointer?
 
#2
try mess dress.comm, iv'e never had a problem with them
 
#4
I have used messdress.com in the past, good company, very quick service, reasonable price.
 
#5
I court mount medals, £6 per medal, I'm in the Hampshire, Surrey, Berkshire, Borders.Maybe able to arrange by mail?
Anyone interested please let me know.
Don't get conned by these big companies, charging upto £12 per medal!!!
Cheers
 
#6
You can actually get your Medals cleaned and then silver dipped, this prevents the need to polish them again. This is what the Guards do B4 court mounting them.
 
#7
Messdress.co.uk in Bournemouth.

Courtmounted, new ribbons, cleanned and lacquered. For about £4 or £5 and P&P.

VAT off for BFPO too!!!!

Can't fault Antoine, been to him for all my sartorial requirements.
 
#8
chocolate_frog said:
Messdress.co.uk in Bournemouth.

Courtmounted, new ribbons, cleanned and lacquered. For about £4 or £5 and P&P.

VAT off for BFPO too!!!!

Can't fault Antoine, been to him for all my sartorial requirements.
Likewise, never had any problem using this company over the years.
 
T

the_mentalist

Guest
#10
I concur, messdress.com. Outstanding service, cheap and quick turn-around.

As for the silver dipping thing, how does that work with cheapo non-shiny Balkans medals?
 
#13
For GSM/CSM , OSM , ACSM, GULF ect. Goddards Silver dip £2.70 Tesco this brings a really good shine in seconds,The Iraq medal use a metal polish which isn't abrasive- DIY.
Don't do your NATO medals they'll not last long, Don't use Brasso on your medals either!
 
#14
Anyone in the Portsmouth Area, the tailoress in HMS Nelson will mount full size medals for free. For some reason the Navy have to pay, but the Army doesn't.
 
#15
The only thing I will say is that I have had to mount medals for people who had previously sent theirs to mess dress and from what i recall they had either glue or double sided sticky tape on the back of the ribbon. I can't re-use the ribbons after that. Plus sometimes the glue shows through lighter coloured ribbons.

£4 or £5 pounds sounds very reasonable, but, I suppose you get what you pay for.

I sew all mine, no glue needed.
 
#16
IrishDoris said:
The only thing I will say is that I have had to mount medals for people who had previously sent theirs to mess dress and from what i recall they had either glue or double sided sticky tape on the back of the ribbon. I can't re-use the ribbons after that. Plus sometimes the glue shows through lighter coloured ribbons.

£4 or £5 pounds sounds very reasonable, but, I suppose you get what you pay for.

I sew all mine, no glue needed.
I'm with you on that one Irish , I sew my medals not superglue/ tape. i've seen some nasty mounted medals rivetted brooch bars, superglued on too from these big companies!
I always try to recycle my ribbon and brooches
 
T

the_mentalist

Guest
#17
The13thDukeOfWybourne said:
Anyone in the Portsmouth Area, the tailoress in HMS Nelson will mount full size medals for free. For some reason the Navy have to pay, but the Army doesn't.
Bloody 'ell, is this true?

Does she use glue or tape! Seriously though; if this is true, it was the best kept secret.
:D
 
#18
the_mentalist said:
The13thDukeOfWybourne said:
Anyone in the Portsmouth Area, the tailoress in HMS Nelson will mount full size medals for free. For some reason the Navy have to pay, but the Army doesn't.
Bloody 'ell, is this true?

Does she use glue or tape! Seriously though; if this is true, it was the best kept secret.
:D
I think we can guess why she likes the Army , the Navy boys do spend a long time a sea and need i say more....
:D
 
T

the_mentalist

Guest
#19
REstitcher said:
I think we can guess why she likes the Army , the Navy boys do spend a long time a sea and need i say more....
:D
Oh I get it now.......you mean that because they are away for so long, she needs the custom. WHAAAAAAAAAA! :twisted:
 
#20
The13thDukeOfWybourne said:
Anyone in the Portsmouth Area, the tailoress in HMS Nelson will mount full size medals for free. For some reason the Navy have to pay, but the Army doesn't.
Actually, according to the JSPs, court mounting must be done at private expense. The only thing that you are entitled to is the brooch bar that they attach to. When you are awarded a new medal, you can exchange your single brooch for a double brooch bar and so on

( Re: JSP 336, 3rd Ed, Vol 12, Pt 3, Pamphlet 10 - Just for all you spotters out there)

COURT MOUNTING OF MEDALS
10. Policy. Medals may be court mounted at private expense. In the interest of
uniformity, the policy for court mounting in units will be left at the discretion of regiments
and corps. Medals are court mounted at public expense for members of the Household
Division, and Public Duties battalions at Hounslow and Edinburgh and the Bands and
Pipes and Drums of the Scottish Division, engaged in ceremonial duties.

7. Issue of Brooches to Soldiers. Soldiers may be issued with a brooch of sufficient
size to carry the authorised Medal or Medals in accordance with Volume 12, Part 3,
Pamphlets 4, 7 and 13 of these regulations. Additionally:
a. Brooches are issued in sizes 1 to 6. Size 1 is equal to the width of one Medal
riband with each subsequent size being the width of an additional riband.
b. When a new Decoration or Medal is awarded, the brooches in possession are
to be replaced, as necessary, with the correct size brooch or brooches sufficient to
carry the additional Medal or ribbon in the manner prescribed in this pamphlet.
Brooches, which are so replaced, are to be withdrawn and held for re-issue to other
soldiers as necessary.
c. Initial issues and maintenance of brooches is to be made at public expense.
Free replacement issues are only to be made when brooches in use become
unserviceable through fair wear and tear and in place of one of insufficient size for
subsequent awards.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads