Medal Mounting

I have the following medals awarded in this order:

Bosnia
LSGC
NI
Jubilee
Afghanistan (Herrick)

I know, I know - war dodger blah blah blah..... Did nothing for years. REMF etc. That aside, what order should they be mounted..??. I believe it should be NI, Herrick, Bosnia, Jubilee, LSGC.

Is that right fellow ARRSERS...........??

Santa_Sunday said:

Bosnia
LSGC
NI
Jubilee
Afghanistan (Herrick)

I know, I know - war dodger blah blah blah..... Did nothing for years. REMF etc. That aside, what order should they be mounted..??. I believe it should be NI, Herrick, Bosnia, Jubilee, LSGC.

Bosnia, NI, Afgan, LSGC, Jubilee (I'm unsure about the last 2 though)

Campaign tours are always issued in order of service, I know almost every man and his dog has NI (GSM) first but that was till recently the de facto place to tour as a youngster

I had a lad in my team on my third NI tour who did Op Granby and UNPROFOR before NI, his medals were in that order but didn't 'alf look daft

wellyhead said:
Santa_Sunday said:

Bosnia
LSGC
NI
Jubilee
Afghanistan (Herrick)

Bosnia, NI, Afgan, LSGC, Jubilee (I'm unsure about the last 2 though)

Campaign tours are always issued in order of service, I know almost every man and his dog has NI (GSM) first but that was till recently the de facto place to tour as a youngster

I had a lad in my team on my third NI tour who did Op Granby and UNPROFOR before NI, his medals were in that order but didn't 'alf look daft
That order is correct except the LS and GC is worn after QJM.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Santa_Sunday said:
I thought that NI and Herrick took precedence over Bos as they are UK medals and Bos is NATO.............??
This has been done to death countless times and the answer is found in the multiple threads on the subject.
I really can't be arsed to look them up again but for some political reason UN then Nato campaign gongs take precedence over national ones.

Personally I'd prefer our own ones first, & while I've seen them mounted that way Dress Regs state otherwise.

Perhaps PG can do a sticky quoting the relevant paragraphs from Regs.

OOOOOhhh bugger
Ive got mine wrong
they were mounted in order of earning
oh crap more money down the swanney then
it goes now
osm sierra leone
boz former yugo
telic
ni
qjm
ls&gc
so is that the wrong order
sorry if its been done before

Isn't it operational in order awarded, not NATO/UN/UK, then freebies like QGJM/QSJM then LSGCetc, MID ofr UN/NATO tour on dark green ribbon next to medal?

Santa_Sunday said:

Bosnia
LSGC
NI
Jubilee
Afghanistan (Herrick)

Santa

This may be useful and if my understanding of it is correct. The order would be

Bos, NI, Herrick, jubilee & LS & GC.

Hope this helps :D :D

CAARPS………. Cheers for that. It would appear that the census is that Bosnia comes first, followed by NI and HERRICK. If I wasn’t such a war-dodger, it would be a lot harder….

BTW the link wouldn't play.......

HEART_STOPPER is right Campain Medails in Order of Tours. No differance if they are UK,UN or NATO

6. British Operational Service Medals, United Nations Medal and Medals of other recognised international organisations (eg NATO):

In order of date of qualification

Followed by

7. Coronation and Jubilee Medals

Followed by

8. Long Service and Efficiency Awards:
Meritorious Service Medal
Accumulated Campaign Service Medal

So if you did Bosnia first followed by NI then Herrick. then that is the order you wear them.

Jubillee comes next, and LSGC last.

CAARPS said:
...Santa

This may be useful and if my understanding of it is correct. The order would be

Bos, NI, Herrick, jubilee & LS & GC.

Hope this helps :D :D
Looks correct in Santa's case.

ORDER OF WEARING
2. The Victoria Cross and The George Cross:
VC, GC
3. British Orders - Notes 1 and 2:
KG, KT, GCB, OM, GCMG, GCVO, GBE, CH, KCB/DCB, KCMG/DCMG,
KCVO/DCVO, KBE/DBE, CB, CMG, CVO, CBE, DSO, LVO, OBE, MVO, MBE
4. British Decorations - Note 1:
CGC, RRC, DSC, MC, DFC, AFC, ARRC, Order of St John
5. British Medals for Gallantry and Distinguished Service - Note 1:
[DCM, CGM, CGM(F)] - Note 3, GM [DSM, MM, DFM, AFM] - Note 3, QGM, QVRM,
RVM [BEM] - Note 4
6. British Operational Service Medals, United Nations Medal and Medals of other
recognised international organisations (eg NATO):

7. Coronation and Jubilee Medals:
8. Long Service and Efficiency Awards:
Meritorious Service Medal
Accumulated Campaign Service Medal
Regular Forces LS & GC Medals (Army, RN, RAF, UDR/R IRISH (Home Service)...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I stand corrected.
Pissed off as the tailor had a copy of the relevant Pam 10 page without the line 'in order of date of qualification.'
Doubt I'll lose much sleep over it now though.

6. British Operational Service Medals, United Nations Medal and Medals of other recognised international organisations (eg NATO):
Does this mean that the Non-Article 5 NATO medal which is issued to ISAF troops in Afghanistan can actually be worn?
The word on the street here is that it can't.

In addition to my previous post. Do I obtain a medal ribbon bar to be permanently affixed to mess dress, with medals pinned on when required?

Also, as I am still waiting for my tour medal, do I put the medal ribbon bar onto my N.o 1s/2s now, or do I wait several years for the medal to appear?

Never seen a ribbon bar on mess dress, if you've been part one'd the award then you can wear the ribbon.

The stumbling point is " in order of date of qualifiaction ", got a right bollocking off a Brig once for not having my NI medal first, apparently it was issued in 1972 by ER II and not when it was issued to the individual, therefore should always be first.............???????????????

This is a genuine serious question and I appreciate I am letting myself in for a lot of flak due to the amount of foreign gongs but they were all awarded for service.

I completed 23 yrs of military service in 1996 and the medals that I had awarded were fully mounted at that time. But in the last 13 years I have been awarded several more and I wish to have all mounted together rather than leave them at the bottom of a drawer, but I do want to ensure the correct order.

Awarded while serving and mounted in this order:

GSM 1962 with NI bar – date of award 1974
Accumulated Service Medal – date of award 1994
LSCG (Army) Medal – date of award 1989
Omani - Peace Medal – date of award 1985
Omani -15th Anniversary Medal – date of award, 1987

Since leaving the services I received a medal I had been awarded while still serving on the BMATT team but only received after my completion of service – not mounted:

South African - UNITAS Medal – date of award 1996

The three foreign medals listed above have been gazetted and permission to wear unrestricted while serving was granted.

The mounting order for the above is fairly simple, UK first then foreign decorations.
However, I have also been awarded additional medals when serving with other foreign organisations as a civilian and then to compound matters I have also been awarded a medal from the UK government for reconstruction work in Iraq.

UN Angola (UNAVEM) – date of award 1997
NATO ISAF Medal – Afghanistan – date of award 2003
Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal - date of award 2007.

My question is where in the order does the IRSM go?
Should it be after the UK service awarded medals but before the foreign decorations or at the end as awarded as a civilian?

I stand by for some serious replies and of course a vast amount of flak.

Boxy said:
Never seen a ribbon bar on mess dress, if you've been part one'd the award then you can wear the ribbon.
The RN wear them as one of the differences between "Mess Undress" and "Mess Dress" - it's not part of Army dress regs.