Medal Identification

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by h301593, Feb 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, does anyone know what these medals are? (not a very good pic). particulary interested in the end medal which looks like some kind of cross. I think the first is a south atlantic medal?

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Any hints as to what uniform that is?
  3. Uniform is a Green Jacket Bugler from the Band and Bugles of the Light Division in the hot weather whites
  4. It looks like some sort of RGJ rig from the insignia and headdress.

The first is definitely the S. Atlantic Medal with Rosette.

I think that "cross" medal is one of those commemorative bits of bling available for purchase and not an official gong.

Some fantasy name like the volunteer cross of general service cross. It a milk bottle top thing I think you'll find...
  5. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

And a chap who forgot to straighten his bugle on his headress. Jail the inspecting officer...
  6. Medals in order are:

The South Atlantic Medal (Awarded for the Falklands War 1982)

Cadet Forces Medal (CFM)

General Service Cross (Commemorative Medal - Should not be worn alongside the other two medals)

Hope this helps

Regards Sully
  7. [​IMG]

For £58.50 plus postage you can look like you liberated France on your own.
  8. also a chap who became one of the best bugle majors in the band and bugles, also nearly all the badges are like that (and still, we cant get any of the new RIFLES wings or back badges!)
  9. Yes that helps alot, now to convince him that he should still wear his South Atlantic medal alongside his Herrick one
  10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It's No.3 Dress; 'Warm Weather Ceremonial Uniform' with Bugler variations.

It's not really a matter of choice if he is serving as it is part of his uniform and to not wear it (if he has it) is to be incorrectly dressed.
  11. Not sure that is the CFM, my next door neighbour has one and about 3 bars, it's got a broad yellow stripe on each edge of the ribbon, can't see the edge very clearly in the shot but don't see any yellow. The end one is definately The General Service Cross, self awarded to those who didn't get anything to polish in their Service. Shouldn't be with the others, South Atlantic itself is enough to get a hat doffed by me, the last one just makes him look like a throbber.
  12. he dosent wear the last one anymore, bearing in mind this pic was taken 10/15 years ago
  13. What Bn did he serve with? Glad to hear he's got rid of the last one, they look silly.
  14. [​IMG]

cadet force medal
  15. I still can't see the yellow in the main pic, mind you, I've been up since 2am with a teething toddler and I'm ******* cross eyed just now.