Medal Identification

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by broken_man, Oct 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chaps,

Saw this ribbon on a serving senior Brit officer last night and (despite being a spotter) can't identify it. It was pretty much bang in the middle of a substantial rack, and in amongst his op tour medals, not at either the left or right (UK or foreign honours) ends.

No help found at my usual source (here).

This (from memory, I had been drinking) is what it looked like:

Attached Files:

2. Could be an Ausie or NZ gong from an exchange post
  3. If it wasn't the UNAVEM (Angola), and I don't any brits served there, I think you can rule out any UN Peacekeeping awards.

Bit hard to tell from the colours in your illustration. Could be the AUS Iraq Medal, but would it be given brits, and if so would he be allowed to wear it on top of (assuming he also held) the UK medal?

Attached Files:

4. Didn't you think to ask him?
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You should know by now it is a sign of weakness for a bloke to ask directions/where something is in shop/what that medal is for...... :roll:
  6. I've never seen a medal ribbon like that before. Maybe we should ask Gym Shortt(s) what it is. He's a real expert on exotic medals. He's probably got one just like it somewhere.

7. I do............ but I don't understand why. It just 1 little question :D
  8. Just to make this more complicated, I do believe that i have seen that medal before on a painting in Former Army Staff College at the RMAS. I will take a picture next time i am there as there was another medal with a solid yellow ribbon i could not identify.
  9. Solid yellow - (EIIR) Royal Family Orders. Gold with a thin grey bar at the extremity - Baronet's Badge. Not that that helps here ...
  10. Good idea, ask someone there aswell and/or get the artist's name and contact him/her.

Better still find out who the painting was of and contact them and ask them to tell you :D

Then again if you are male that would cause some serious problems!
  11. I've met several Loggie officers with the UN Angola medal - worked in the Force HQ apparently.
  12. Hmm, I think memory is letting me down and that might be it. He was a loggie I think so that would work.

I didn't ask as he was sat to far away to shout the question and I didn't see him after the meal. My peers near me didn't recognise it either.

Cheers for the help though.