Medal ID please...

DITA

MIA
ImageUploadedByARRSE1407958701.490948.jpg

This is a picture of my Grandad, post WW1, I recognise three of his medals, but I'm struggling with the oval one on the end, can anyone help with an ID.

He served with the 4th Bn Gordon Highlanders (I think), and then went on to serve in WW2, after he lied about his age. Unfortunately he had to sell all his medals in later life to pay their rent. I'm trying to get a picture of him with all his medals, if I can get one, I'll try and upload it.

Cheers!!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

George V Territorial Efficiency Medal. Green ribbon with yellow edges. Named on rim.

WC

Cancel, not the Efficiency Medal. The gong loop is wrong. I'm with Roussillon

DITA

MIA
He definitely wasn't Engineers.

I've seen some medal cards for him but only with the WW1 medals on.

He definitely wasn't Engineers.

In that case, either the photo isn't of your granddad or he's walting in somebody else's uniform.

I struggled to count the number of flames on the grenade but the buttons definitely don't depict a gun.

slick

LE
As with others I reckon the medal is a George V territorial efficiency medal (the medal hanging ring is correct), but the collar dogs are RA.

I suspect that you're both right: post-WWI service with a RA TA unit would have qualified for the TEM.

Plus, you can narrow the phot down by the award dates of the TEM: it was active between 1921 and 1930.

DITA

MIA
I don't deny it, but I know his WW1 service was with the Gordon's and his WW2 service with the RAF.

He died when my mum was 9, she wasn't old enough to understand or ask the questions I'm asking her.

Could be the Efficiency medal, and he could have done TA service post WW1, hence the pic?

Hexi Block

Old-Salt
Gordon highlander
images (2).jpg

R E.
images (1).jpg

Looks like RE to me but RA is so similar.

I don't deny it, but I know his WW1 service was with the Gordon's and his WW2 service with the RAF.

He died when my mum was 9, she wasn't old enough to understand or ask the questions I'm asking her.

Could be the Efficiency medal, and he could have done TA service post WW1, hence the pic?

Well, if have his details from his MIC, you can do worse than googling them (No, Rank and name). If they have ever appeared at one of the larger auction houses (Spink, Dix Noonan and Webb, etc), then those archives may give you a hit.

Failing that, you can always create an account at British Medal Forum http://www.britishmedalforum.com/ and ask there. If you get a hit-particularly with BMF-you might be able to buy them back.

If funds don't allow, at least you will know where they are.

Latest Threads