Medal help wanted

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by brettarider, Nov 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Does anyone who can read the Gazateer or have access to the national archive have a look for a Sgt Duncan MacLean 7th Bn Seaforths. He was awarded the DCM in WW1 trying to piece my dad's family war role together have already found in print the action were his grandfather was captured in 1918.

2. Do you know his regi number?

3. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Sadly not, Although I did have a look via ancestery website and it does list a few Duncan MacLean's on the medal cards

4. He won the DCM for trying to piece your grandad's war role together? How awfully brave.

5. Ok, where was it awarded?

6. I loved him when he did American Pie.
    Sorry mate, I know I'm not helping! I have got a mate seriously into military archiving/research, I could put you onto him if you draw a blank. Good luck!!

7. SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS.
    S/8731 S./S.M. (Q.M.Sjt.) MacLean, J. S.,
    Depot (Perth).

Awarded Meritorious Service Medal

London Gazette, 21 Feb 1919

I know. Wrong initials. Wrong medal. But I'm not always the one who's got the details wrong.

Or there's two Private Duncan MacLeans:

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

Or Private MacLean, D.:

Or Serjeant MacLean, D.:

Can't find a MacLean DCM. Maybe somebody else has better luck.

8. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Cheers I'll see what I can find out from my dad

9. Try to lay hands on

[TABLE="class: TitleInformationTable"]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]ISBN: 1851540644[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]The Distinguished Conduct Medal, 1914-20 : citations[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Seaforth Highlanders[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][London] : [London Stamp Exchange], [1985][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

Local library should be able to get it on inter-library loan. Failing that give the museum at Fort George a ring.

C_C

10. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Cheers Charm, I'll try the museum

11. 11024 Corporal R. MacLean, 2nd Battalion, Scots Guards. appears here Viewing Page 960 of Issue 29447.

If you go back to page 950 of that edition, it says
    "His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Distinguished Conduct Medal to the undermentioned Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men for acts of gallantry and devotion to duty whilst serving with the Expeditionary Forces in France and Flanders, the Dardanelles, Mesopotamia, and East Africa: —"

PS Another one for Hector!

12. Ancestry carries the DCM roll for WWI: can't find any mention of a D Maclean, Duncan MacLean or Mclean as having been awarded the DCM.

9 x 'Macleans' are recorded as having won the decoration but none, with that spelling, from the Seaforths.

However. Ancestry are notorious for interpreting names and units incorrectly: if you can provide more detail (service number, full name, etc), he may well be there somewhere.

13. Post the details you have for those 9, and I'll run them through the LG.