• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Medal help wanted

Does anyone who can read the Gazateer or have access to the national archive have a look for a Sgt Duncan MacLean 7th Bn Seaforths. He was awarded the DCM in WW1 trying to piece my dad's family war role together have already found in print the action were his grandfather was captured in 1918.

I loved him when he did American Pie.
Sorry mate, I know I'm not helping! I have got a mate seriously into military archiving/research, I could put you onto him if you draw a blank. Good luck!!

SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS.
S/8731 S./S.M. (Q.M.Sjt.) MacLean, J. S.,
Depot (Perth).

Awarded Meritorious Service Medal

London Gazette, 21 Feb 1919

I know. Wrong initials. Wrong medal. But I'm not always the one who's got the details wrong.

Or there's two Private Duncan MacLeans:

The National Archives | DocumentsOnline | Image Details

Or Private MacLean, D.:

Or Serjeant MacLean, D.:

Can't find a MacLean DCM. Maybe somebody else has better luck.

Does anyone who can read the Gazateer or have access to the national archive have a look for a Sgt Duncan MacLean 7th Bn Seaforths. He was awarded the DCM in WW1 trying to piece my dad's family war role together have already found in print the action were his grandfather was captured in 1918.
Try to lay hands on

[TABLE="class: TitleInformationTable"]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]ISBN: 1851540644[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]The Distinguished Conduct Medal, 1914-20 : citations[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Seaforth Highlanders[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][London] : [London Stamp Exchange], [1985][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Local library should be able to get it on inter-library loan. Failing that give the museum at Fort George a ring.

C_C

11024 Corporal R. MacLean, 2nd Battalion, Scots Guards. appears here Viewing Page 960 of Issue 29447.

If you go back to page 950 of that edition, it says
"His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Distinguished Conduct Medal to the undermentioned Warrant Officers, Non-Commissioned Officers and Men for acts of gallantry and devotion to duty whilst serving with the Expeditionary Forces in France and Flanders, the Dardanelles, Mesopotamia, and East Africa: —"

PS Another one for Hector!

Ancestry carries the DCM roll for WWI: can't find any mention of a D Maclean, Duncan MacLean or Mclean as having been awarded the DCM.

9 x 'Macleans' are recorded as having won the decoration but none, with that spelling, from the Seaforths.

However. Ancestry are notorious for interpreting names and units incorrectly: if you can provide more detail (service number, full name, etc), he may well be there somewhere.

Post the details you have for those 9, and I'll run them through the LG.
16247 CSM A Maclean KOSB

20426 Sjt A Maclean Machine Gun Corps

44072 Sjt A Maclean RAMC

1714 Sjt J A Maclean Australian Infantry

24278 Sjt J F Maclean Canadian Infantry

6989 Pte J M Maclean The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

11024 Cpl R Maclean Scots Guards

322100 Cpl R A Maclean Royal Garrison Artillery

76257 Cpl W H Maclean Corps of Royal Engineers

I think that I did that version: I'll have another look.

Edit: Nope-22 'McLean' recorded in the DCM roll. There are 2 D Mclean: 1 is A & SH and the other a Canadian.

Sure you don't have access to his service number?

Is it possible it's spelt McLean?
Often doesn't matter. Scottish-language listings generally lump Mc and Mac together so if you read through them, rather than use a search engine, you can check both spellings at the same time. If using a search engine (depending on how it works), you may get on better searching for "Lean". Similarly, you may get on better or worse in search engines by using or omitting quotation marks. e.g. "Sjt D MacLean" won't return details of Sjt Duncan MacLean but will narrow the number of Google returns from a million entries to just one.

And, curiously, that one is a Seaforth Highlander...: Dix Noonan Webb: Medals: Auction Archive: Search Catalogue Archive: Lot 1068, 2 Apr 04

And note: even there, the page reference is to a Sjt J Maclean - lucky one of the medals is inscribed Sjt D Maclean.

Latest Threads