Medal help please

#1
Can someone help in identifying the red-ribboned medal in this photo?

I have the (?) Malaya Medal on the lapel, Unknown, UN Korea and UK Korea Medals on top, and Pip, Squeak and Wilfred (1914 Star, British War Medal and Victory medals) underneath.

The wearer admitted that the second row were his father's. I didn't question him as to why they weren't on his right breast. I also didn't question him on why he wore ribbons as well as medals, and the miniature (?) Malaya Medal rather than the full-sized one...


** Edit: photo none-too clear. Medal has alternating thin white, broad red, thin blue, thin red, thin blue, broad red, thin white ribbon. **
 

Attachments

#2
Looks like the Coronation medal to me. That would also fit the Korean War time frame.
 
#3
Some kind of ebay commemorative I would imagine but I can't find that design of ribbon. It is telling that his medal ribbons worn above do not have that one in, just 2 x Korea and a GSM as far as I can tell.

QE11 coronation medal did not have the white edges to the ribbon.
 
#4
Tool said:
I didn't question him as to why they weren't on his right breast. I also didn't question him on why he wore ribbons as well as medals, and the miniature (?) Malaya Medal rather than the full-sized one...
How very noble of you not to subject him to further questioning :roll:
 
#5
Furryturd said:
Some kind of ebay commemorative I would imagine but I can't find that design of ribbon. It is telling that his medal ribbons worn above do not have that one in, just 2 x Korea and a GSM as far as I can tell.

QE11 coronation medal did not have the white edges to the ribbon.
Well according the bible that is Wikipedia, it did!
Wiki Linky to Queen Elizabeth II Coronation Medal
Wikipedia said:
Description
A circular, silver medal, 1.25 inches in diameter. The obverse features a crowned effigy of Queen Elizabeth II, in a high-collared ermine cloak and wearing the collar of the Garter and Badge of the Bath, and facing right. There is no raised rim and no legend.
The reverse shows the Royal Cypher EIIR surmounted by a large crown. The legend around the edge reads: QUEEN ELIZABETH II CROWNED 2nd JUNE 1953.
The dark red ribbon is 1.25 inches (32 mm) wide, with two narrow dark blue stripes (0.09375 inches {3/32"} wide) in the centre (0.0625" apart) and narrow white stripes (0.0625") at each edge.
Looks like it is as TT suggested.
 
#6
The Coronation medal would fit in. He did say that he served 1950-1957.

Thanks for the support, K13. Some people just send bristles down one's spine. He seemed genuine, but... he had a pheasant's feather stuck behind the cap badge on his beret. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but something just didn't gel. The ribbons AND the medals. Why? And why wear your father's medals with yours, when you have a perfectly respectable group yourself?
 

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
#7
I would guess the Malayan medal is the GSM (presumably the issue that came before 1962). The colours lok right but I am not going to drag out my own (1962) just to check.

I'd also guess it is a mess-dress miniature.

But what do I know?
 
#8
I too suspect it is the Coronation Medal 1953
 
#9
AlienFTM said:
I would guess the Malayan medal is the GSM (presumably the issue that came before 1962). The colours lok right but I am not going to drag out my own (1962) just to check.

I'd also guess it is a mess-dress miniature.

But what do I know?
That would be the GSM 1918 Alien
 
#10
Sorry, TM - it's Aunty Betty's head on the medal. I'm not really concerned about it, only that he was wearing the ribbon and the miniature. Perhaps he lost the original. Here's an enlargement of the (bad) photo:

**Edited for wrong photo **
 

Attachments

#11
Tool said:
Sorry, TM - it's Aunty Betty's head on the medal. I'm not really concerned about it, only that he was wearing the ribbon and the miniature. Perhaps he lost the original. Here's an enlargement of the (bad) photo:

**Edited for wrong photo **
thats a GSM
 
#12
opps green stripe in wrong place, put finger to forehead and says RED backwards
edited to add: was looking at CSM Borneo, Radfan, Aden, NI
 
#13
#15
Tool said:
Thanks for the support, K13. Some people just send bristles down one's spine. He seemed genuine, but... he had a pheasant's feather stuck behind the cap badge on his beret. He seemed to know what he was talking about, but something just didn't gel. The ribbons AND the medals. Why? And why wear your father's medals with yours, when you have a perfectly respectable group yourself?
Ok so maybe I didn't offer much in the way of support and wrote a flippant comment. But to be fair, and if you have read my posts on the 'Walt' thread, I get a little tired with people questioning veterens regarding medal entitlement, wearing of medals and commemoratives. Remember that if this guy served in Korea he is in his seventies yet he still turns out to remember those that gave for his freedom ... possibly friends and comrades. He might have a pheasant feather in his beret, be wearing his dads medals on the wrong side and mixing full size, miniatures and ribbons but so what? He hasn't served for over 40 years and you would want him to turn out according to Queens Regs? He turns out and be supportive of that.

You know, some of these veterens may be elderly, but they might just be able to use a computer ... my father is in his seventies and logs on everyday and sometimes checks out ARRSE. Why try to alienate them by questioning their entitlement? Is the idea to alienate all but those who have served in recent conflict and ensure that the older guys stay home? I would prefer to see a hundred of the old fellers on parade with commemoratives glistening than one single 'walt hunter' making a fuss at the Cenotaph and trying to embarrass an older guy and demeaning what the whole day is about.

And to finish ... this is a photograph of my grandfather taken in 1928. he is wearing four medals from the 1st war yet never served until the 1920's. The medals are his fathers and it was common practise to wear them on certain occasions. My grandfather later earned five of his own (interestingly he had his LS&GC before his four campaign medals!) and I remember him wearing both his medal bar and his medals on Remembrance Day. Additionally he would proudly wear his medal bar to work as would many veterens ... particularly when seeking employment.

 
#16
K13, I'm not into slanging matches. I have a military background, but not in the British Forces. I found it strange that he wore both the ribbons and the medals and was questioning the reasoning, as I was not aware of any precidence. I also could not find a specific medal in online photo's and asked help in identifying it.

Note, I did NOT say that he was not entitled to wear any of his own medals, nor that he is not entitled to wear his father's (or any immediate family member's) medals, merely asking why he was wearing his father's medals on what I understand to be the "incorrect" side of his blazer.
 
#17
Tool said:
K13, I'm not into slanging matches. I have a military background, but not in the British Forces. I found it strange that he wore both the ribbons and the medals and was questioning the reasoning, as I was not aware of any precidence. I also could not find a specific medal in online photo's and asked help in identifying it.

Note, I did NOT say that he was not entitled to wear any of his own medals, nor that he is not entitled to wear his father's (or any immediate family member's) medals, merely asking why he was wearing his father's medals on what I understand to be the "incorrect" side of his blazer.
And nor am I into slanging matches and nor did I suggest you were inferring he wasn't entitled. But it's the sort of post that attracts the baying walt burners.

Just offering an opinion and then explaining my first post.
 
#18
Furryturd said:
Some kind of ebay commemorative I would imagine but I can't find that design of ribbon. It is telling that his medal ribbons worn above do not have that one in, just 2 x Korea and a GSM as far as I can tell.

QE11 coronation medal did not have the white edges to the ribbon.
My Bold. Yes it does. Just popped upstairs to check as have one in my family collection. Will post photo if I can work out how!
 
#19
Thanks, K13. I did mean to get a smiley into my "Thanks for the support" comment, but butter fingers got in the way. (In fact, they are STILL in the way.)

I appreciate the support people such as yourself give to ex-services, and will never have the guts or wherewithall to challange anyone "waltish" - well, certainly not in the Britfor!

The sordid little war I was a part of doesn't attract walts....
 
#20
i have a cap badge.. it has 3 lions on it..with a kings crown... think its pre ww2... any ideas plz
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vladimir_Ilyich_Crab Medals 8
M Medals 11
Bravo_Bravo Medals 22

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top