Medal Etiquette

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Japster1965, Oct 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gents,

Best man at a wedding next week, so busy prepping my no 1 dress. The question I have is;

what is the form for removing full size medals whilst inside? I have been told this is the done thing, but not come across it before. (Its only because I`m a lazy toad and do not want to have to remove the ribbons from my brown hoover bag)!

Thanks in advance

The Japster
  2. sirbhp

sirbhp LE Book Reviewer

you won 'em you wear 'em . I had not heard that they are to be removed whilst 'inside' and couldn't find anything on the web . Saying that unless you wanna cover them in Soup take em off before you dine .
  3. Thye 'custom' is that the Army remove medals when entering the Mess, but the Navy and the RAF don't. If you are at a civvy wedding I'd keep them on and wear them with pride.
  4. Depends on your Regt or Corps and whether it's a civvie venue or a Mess (Officers or Sgts). I know certain Messes have 'thing' about shiny half-crowns being removed once the event has finished and you enter the Mess.

If it's a civvie venue then it does'nt really matter: just make sure that they are not found in one of the linen cupboards, a result of you having engaged in CQB with one of the better looking bridesmaids. Your wife may ask probing questions.