Medal Enquiery

Discussion in 'Medals' started by dance_with_the_devil, Mar 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking for information, Or an answer to my Medal Conundrum?

Some of my serving comrades were given the "Gulf War" medal, for serving in Cyprus, on a UN peacekeeping tour in 92.
    As it was deemed that they were in a so called Scud Missile hit range.

I have also served in Cyprus on a UN Tour in 2002 and 2003, when it was all kicking off again in Baghdad.
    Again within this so called Scud Missile Range.

Question..Were the guys from 92 eligable for this medal and do i and my fellow comrades fall into the same category?

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated....DWTD
  2. Qualifying Criteria For Op Telic Medal

From -

Qualifying Criteria For Gulf Medal

From -

I suppose it's the qualifying areas/Area of Operations that differs in that Cyprus may well not been included in the AOO for Op TELIC. You'll need to get hold of the DCI's /DIN on the Intranet to get the full details.
  3. (Clenches fists, tries not to scream) ...why would you want an Iraq Medal for serving in Cyprus? Most of the people I've met who got one in 91 for being on the p*ss in Ayia Napa have the good grace to be embarrassed about it. What did you do in 02-03 on the Green Line that actually had any effect on matters in Iraq?

I don't have a 91 Gulf Medal, I have a "Kuwait" bar to my GSM. I wasn't there for the war, and I would feel a fraud if I wore a medal purporting to have been. I was however in Kuwait for 4 months following Granby, during which we buried corpses by the hundred on the Basra road, then spent two months tooling up and down the Kuwait / Iraq border where we got shot at by Americans (bless em), Iraqis and assorted locals, before having the yanks set off the biggest fireworks display I've ever seen virtually in my doss bag (St Georges Lines explosion).

I feel I've earned my strip of tin for having been there and done that; if you were given a Telic medal for sitting in Cyprus, would you feel the same? I would hope not.
  4. Im only trying to quantify the reasoning behind the medals given to the guys in 92 to present day.
    Far be it from me to try and wear a medal not properly earned.
    I know some of the guys in my Regt wear the medal, without I SUPPOSE EARNING IT!!
  5. Seems to me you're wanting a tad more than to "Quantify the reasoning", my jolly Dancer.

But then again maybe I'm just being uncharitable. After all I wasn't at the Battle of Jubilee, but I've got the gong...
  6. Thanks for the INFORMATIVE input!! :tp:
  7. Maybe I'm being a little too subtle. If you wish me to be more "informative", so be it.

I've been inferring that you are a tin hunting saddo who wants to wear a medal without doing anything for it. When you denied this with a desire to "Quantify the reasoning" (whatever that means), I displayed a quote from your first post, where you were clearly fishing for a chance to do a Muttley (If you're too young to remember "Catch The Pigeon", that won't mean much to you). What's the matter, the UN Cyprus medal not cool enough for you?

If you want an Iraq Medal, volunteer for a tour in Iraq.
  8. By the way, a quick search of the tinternet reveal the following options for Churchill's famous quote:

Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
    Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly".

Bessie Braddock: "Winston, you're drunk"!
    Churchill: "Bessie, you're ugly, and tomorrow morning I shall be sober."

Please feel free to use any of them so as not to mangle the English language any more than necessary. And please stop SHOUTING.

Personally, I prefer:

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
    Churchill: “Madam, if you were my wife I would take it.”

I hope that's informative enough for you, Dancer.
  9. He.He,
    Me a saddo, methinks not.
    If i truly want a medal, theres plenty on e-bay. :sleepy: Zzzzzzzz
  10. Dance, you're a tw@t.

How could you be so naive to post your original question and not expect the derision it deserved.

The Man Who is quite right - why would you want an Iraq medal for serving in Cyprus? Have you no shame? Do you like your Jubilee medal when most cringed with embarrassment when we received them?

If you want medal go and do the business in Iraq or the 'Stan like everybody else.

I guess you are either Crabfat or All Girls Corps. Either way, you have a small penis.

Besides, it's spelt 'enquiry'.
  11. Different thread but when is the next possible 'medal for nothing' going to occur! I refer of course to medals such as the Queens Golden June Jamboree Medal which we all wear with pride.

Will it be a Charles coronation medal? Oh and will he be called King Charles or has he decided on another name as per other royals?
  12. No doubt there will be a coronation medal when The Prince of Wales is crowned King George VII (so I've been told).

In 1953 the criteria for the award of the coronation medal was very tight. Those on parade for the Queen got one but those who were route lining were only issued 2 medals per 10 men on duty. It meant a detachment of 28 received 4 medals whereas a detachment of 30 received 6. My father was one of the 28 to get one. He felt this was unjust and never wore it or the ribbon despite having 6 other medals at the time.

VC and GC holders received it as did Yeoman Warders at HM Tower of London.
  13. Surely the next coronation is later this year when a certain G Brown takes on the mantle of Dear Leader. Off to the tailors to get your GBCM court mounted, then Dancer, and you won't have to buy it on ebay...
  14. I think Dancer has been unfairly shredded here. It was an honest question - whatever the motives. I too have heard that 'some' blokes on Op Tosca got the Gulf Medal in 91- though quite why is beyond me, as the 'Scud range' argument seems rather tenuous. I'd like to have it cleared up too - and I was not there, and neither do have I any pretensions for being a big timing walty cnut and applying for one.

As for the next free-for-all. I've heard it mooted there's going to be Diamond Jubilee medal in 2012. This is not without precedent, as Queen Vic had one knocked up for the boys back in 1897 for her 60th.

They have five years to get it right anyway - providing of course that they can find the funding to pay for its striking, what with other (more) pressing issues at stake that same year.
  15. Nah, fcuk him.