Medal Engraving

Clearly not the same for everyone then.

I'm fairly confident most attached arms are with an infantry unit for less than 3 years. No one was impolite or against us, but they had been mates for years, we didn't know them, no point in pretending otherwise.

Infantry and RM OR7 rank is called CSgt. Certain appointments have other names, eg drum major or CQMS. These are appointments, not ranks like OC/CO. This has certainly been the case for 30 years.

DITA

MIA
We were very inclusive towards our AGC clerks. The Team Sergeant Major would welcome them with "Here's a capbadge and you can borrow my spare stable belt. You can keep the badge but I want the belt back when you leave".

"Oh, and here's a shovel. I want 200 sandbags filled by midnight".

We're only approved to wear up to three of the Units uniform accompaniments these days, normally beret/TOS, rank slide. We dont change capbadge or stable belt anymore... Nothing that would dilute our Corps identity.

DITA

MIA
I'm fairly confident most attached arms are with an infantry unit for less than 3 years. No one was impolite or against us, but they had been mates for years, we didn't know them, no point in pretending otherwise.

No I get that, but I was commenting on my experience with particular units, which was echoed by those 'attached arms' I served with (certainly in their respective Units/experiences also).

The comment I heard most was ' you are wearing our headdress/hackle, you are one of us'.

No I get that, but I was commenting on my experience with particular units, which was echoed by those 'attached arms' I served with (certainly in their respective Units/experiences also).

The comment I heard most was ' you are wearing our headdress/hackle, you are one of us'.
I wore a guard beret in Afghanistan and everyone thought I was a ******* chef.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Infantry and RM OR7 rank is called CSgt. Certain appointments have other names, eg drum major or CQMS. These are appointments, not ranks like OC/CO. This has certainly been the case for 30 years.
It is only the Royal Marines that have the rank of Colour Sergeant, I think. My chum, mentioned at head of the thread, contacted the Medal Office to ask why he’d been ‘demoted’ - the answer was, ‘the rank is Staff Sergeant, regardless’. Further research does rather point to only holders of the post of CQMS being CSgts. All that being said, in my experience and certainly in my Battalion/Regiment, ALL Infantry OR7s were/are referred to as ‘Colour’ etc.

Attachments

• FCB6EB82-D07B-4A79-AA98-74102D13FC1E.jpeg
    FCB6EB82-D07B-4A79-AA98-74102D13FC1E.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 14
It is only the Royal Marines that have the rank of Colour Sergeant, I think. My chum, mentioned at head of the thread, contacted the Medal Office to ask why he’d been ‘demoted’ - the answer was, ‘the rank is Staff Sergeant, regardless’. Further research does rather point to only holders of the post of CQMS being CSgts. All that being said, in my experience and certainly in my Battalion/Regiment, ALL Infantry OR7s were/are referred to as ‘Colour’ etc.

JPA has the rank for infantry OR7s as CSgt, as does MODNet, as does their MOD90s. I wonder what rfn, gdsmn, fus, tpr, spr et all get engraved on their medals. I doubt it is pte.

Either way, the rank for Inf OR7s now is called colour sergeant and has been for at least 30 years.

ETA, wiki thinks it’s been CSgt since WWI

Last edited:
wonder what rfn, gdsmn, fus, tpr, spr et all get engraved on their medals. I doubt it is pte.
Can't confirm about medals as I have none but I know for a fact when we had the green MOD90s fusiliers had pte on it, only rectified when we moved to the new white ones

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
You would still find them in the Regt/Bn though, no?
I'd find a padre within any Inf Bn or Cav Regt, but they'd neither be Inf nor Cav.

FEASG

LE
A bit of a random one, but bear with me…..

I’ve been doing a bit of work for/giving assistance to some of our Old & Bold in applying for their Accumulated Service Medals. One of my most recent ‘clients’ got his through the post the other day after a fairly long wait and right pleased he is with it too. However, he did wonder why, as an Infantryman, he is referred to as Staff Sergeant ‘Bloggs’ in the engraving on the rim and not Colour Sergeant?

Question: Are there any Infantry Arrsers out there who were awarded a gong as a C/Sgt, and if so, how is your rank engraved upon it?

Grateful for your thoughts….. Thanks.
I got my ACSM-94, in 2008 and it has my rank as SSgt rather than CSgt but has my regiment at the time (LONDONS) correct. I assumed it was a mistake by the unit I was with at the time (Joint Cimic group) but was also told it could have been something to do with the way JPA dealt with ranks. It sits down at the flank of my bling between the QGJM and VRSM, but I'm still quite chuffed with it. Because as far as I'm aware, I am the only person to have one marked LONDONS, although there are many from the regiment to have the ACSM-11.

conjurer

Old-Salt
Neither OC or CO is a rank - they are appointments. The ranks would be major and lieutenant colonel respectively. This certainly been the case for many years!

Neither OC or CO is a rank - they are appointments. The ranks would be major and lieutenant colonel respectively. This certainly been the case for many years!
There could have been better grammar there.

However, the sentence still reads true.

Latest Threads