Medal Criteria

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by kodfc01, Sep 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell if any forces personell received the UNPROFOR & NATO FYR medals in respect of the same period of service in 1995? ie. OP Deliberate Force _Mount Igman :?: :?: :?:

2. I deployed as UN in Sep 95, re named NATO in Dec 95, returned to the UK Jan 96.

I received fack all in the way of shiney things for that tour.

3. Can you tell me what unit(s) received both medals

4. I believe (the then known as) 19/5 Bty RA got both gongs, this was in their AMF(L) days but I think 19 Regt RA lost out on the NATO one even though they straddled both tours, I think it was down to who you were under command with

5. That was probably because, even though it changed, you were considered UN throughout and the qualifing period for a UN gong is 3 months

6. Yes they issued both.....I know of RMP, Int Corps and RLC who have both.

7. I heard 19Regt personell who served on Mt Igman & are still serving are now receiving the NATO FYR medal anyone got any info on that??

8. Some members of 7 Sigs got 'em too. (Missed out on the UN myself by a few days whilst serving there)

9. Some twerps tried to get both by saying pompously that they had served "in post" so they qualified and even blagged a gong, which was rescinded sharply indeed. I was with 1 Div

10. Anyone know where I can get more info on this subject??????

11. There is a DCI produced. Ask your RAOWO to have a look for you. Alternativley, you could always engage with the MoDMO (MoD Medal Office) as they should be able to help.

12. The bde HQ at the time was 4 Armd Bde - they all got both.

13. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

A Medic unit got both.

14. quote Medal news[ UK sevice personnel cannot qualify for the NATO Medal and the UNPROFOR Medal in respect of the same period of sevice]