Medal Criteria

Can anyone tell if any forces personell received the UNPROFOR & NATO FYR medals in respect of the same period of service in 1995? ie. OP Deliberate Force _Mount Igman :?: :?: :?:

kodfc01 said:
Can anyone tell if any forces personell received the UNPROFOR & NATO FYR medals in respect of the same period of service in 1995? :?: :?: :?:
I deployed as UN in Sep 95, re named NATO in Dec 95, returned to the UK Jan 96.

I received fack all in the way of shiney things for that tour.

I believe (the then known as) 19/5 Bty RA got both gongs, this was in their AMF(L) days but I think 19 Regt RA lost out on the NATO one even though they straddled both tours, I think it was down to who you were under command with

Geordie_Blerk said:
kodfc01 said:
Can anyone tell if any forces personell received the UNPROFOR & NATO FYR medals in respect of the same period of service in 1995? :?: :?: :?:
I deployed as UN in Sep 95, re named NATO in Dec 95, returned to the UK Jan 96.

I received fack all in the way of shiney things for that tour.
That was probably because, even though it changed, you were considered UN throughout and the qualifing period for a UN gong is 3 months

Some twerps tried to get both by saying pompously that they had served "in post" so they qualified and even blagged a gong, which was rescinded sharply indeed. I was with 1 Div

There is a DCI produced. Ask your RAOWO to have a look for you. Alternativley, you could always engage with the MoDMO (MoD Medal Office) as they should be able to help.

quote Medal news[ UK sevice personnel cannot qualify for the NATO Medal and the UNPROFOR Medal in respect of the same period of sevice]

It is possible to qualify for both the UNPROFOR and NATO medals. The qualifying criteria for the UNPROFOR medal is 90 days service in Yugoslavia under UN control between 1 March 1992 and 20 December 1995. Most UK Army units do not qualify for both awards. However, if an individual’s service in Yugoslavia extended beyond 20 January 1996 then they would also be eligible for the NATO medal.

I hope that this information is helpful. If you wish to find out if you are eligible for these medals then you should contact the following:

The NATO desk

Ministry of Defence Medal Office

Building 250

RAF Innsworth

Gloucester

GL3 1HW

kodfc01 said:
Can you tell me what unit(s) received both medals
1RRF - if not the whole unit, they were certainly handed out to blokes i know

That is correct, all of 1RRF got both medals for the tour of Bosnia between 1995-96, my platoon the Mortar Platoon deployed in November 95 and we still got both medals, we held back in the UK due to some mad UN troop mandate.

I spoke to Lieutenant General (retd) Applegate (CO during Op Grapple 6) recently who was awarded both, he sent a letter to the Regiment after he had moved on saying we had the qualifying criteria but it didnt seem to have filtered downwards, hence I leave the Army soon having had 17 years of seeing 5 Bty with 2 for the price of 1 after they cleaned up our brass (and they like to remind me).
Im positive he said this but I cant verify the conversation- I was ratassed on good whisky and a fair bit of Mess wine.