Medal at last

X59

LE
Should make for some interesting exchanges between the founder members and new SAMA members.

Last edited:

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Should make for some interesting exchanges between the founder members and new SAMA members.

Why should it, when it is ohne Rosette? Chuffed to NAAFI breaks for them :)

A proper medal, correctly earned. I hope the likes of Cameron realise this and are never swayed by the notion of a NDM.

NDM the gift that keeps on giving.......

The bloke on the right looks like Karl Pilkington, the miserable get.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Can I have one?

I 'deployed' to the Falklands in 2002 and it was a shit hole back then too.

According to the Daily Mail, other claims-, Aden, Suez and Korea were rejected.

The Aden claims, by those who missed the GSM criteria by up to three years are pretty frivolous but does anyone know the details of the claims for Suez (Canal Zone or Suez Operation?) and Korea?

Right to award something but wrong medal.

I have family who will now fit the criteria for this who want nothing to do with it and understandably so.

If I'm honest I don't really get the fascination with medals once one signs off.

Joe public couldn't give a shit except for one day a year when you could tell then your UN Cyprus medal was for that time you para dropped into the battle of Episkopi in '98.

i know of one raf lad that missed out on the medal at the time as he was on the uganda at deaths door,but the rust bucket had crossed the line so to speak.
he was not bitter and twisted about it at all

Well I am 'entitled 'to one.
My friends who have one would probobly smile and think me a bit senile if I put in for it.
And I hate dusting anyway.
Unless of course they are worth a few hundred quid them I could pop it on ebay and buy them a drink.

chimera

LE
The article has two conflicting bits of info. It says (correctly) that the qualifying period now extends to 21 Oct 82, but the next paragraph (wrongly) states "..It now covers veterans who served up to when an airfield at what is now RAF Mount Pleasant, opened in 1985, was completed as part of Britain's efforts to strengthen the islands against future attacks.." .

There certainly won't be too many people still serving who fit into the first category. Since this was 33 years ago even the most junior rank will either be at the back end of an LE commission or a very crusty Long Service List (or whatever we call it these days).

X59

LE
Can I have one?

I 'deployed' to the Falklands in 2002 and it was a shit hole back then too.

Your gong would have as much significance as these latest qualifiers.

X59

LE
Right to award something but wrong medal.

I have family who will now fit the criteria for this who want nothing to do with it and understandably so.

If I'm honest I don't really get the fascination with medals once one signs off.

Joe public couldn't give a shit except for one day a year when you could tell then your UN Cyprus medal was for that time you para dropped into the battle of Episkopi in '98.

Surprised so many want to use that one day a year to have everyone remember their own service, rather than remember the fallen.

If Joe public really gives a shit at all, it is usually limited to bravery awards.

Latest Threads