Med Discharge Pension question

Good morning,

I have a question regarding my pension (75/15)...

I am due to hit my 22 year point in Sept 2021 and recently became downgraded due to a "S" grade issue. My Dr has been very helpful about the whole thing and was concerned about a diagnosis (parasomnia, sleep walking, night terrors etc etc) in 2012 that was overlooked. The short version is that I have been made MND (temp) with a view to go MND (perm). The main sticking point being that I am no longer allowed any access to weapons and it doesn't look like this will change (I think it falls under P8 from what I have been reading). For the last few years I have also been suffering with anger problems, anxiety and all that sort of shite. So they have got me in with a sleep expert (great news and cant wait to start figuring out what is going on) in the next month or so to see if they can figure out what is going on.

I am terrified I am going to get MD'd prior to my 22 year point as I am unsure what will happen pension wise. Can someone please shed some light to put my mind to rest please?

I am an Aircraft Engineer by trade and as a result a pinch point trade too.

I have scoured the threads and gained a lot of useful information but I cant quite find the information that I am after as it is quite confusing.

Thanks in advance.

From what you have said, I am assuming that you were an AFPS 75 member and were transferred to AFPS 15 on 1 April 2015.

If you are medically discharged from AFPS 75 you will get a pension worked out as if you had left normally and then enhanced by a proportion of the difference between the rate of pension for your rank and length of service and the invaliding rate. The lump sum is three times the pension. From AFPS 15, your benefits will depend upon the Tier they put your condition in. Most conditions are put in Tier 1 so the link is to an article on combination ill health benefits in Tier 1. If you reach the EDP point (20 yrs service and age 40) before you are discharged, you will get your EDP benefits instead of the Tier 1 lump sum.

Pathfinder International magazine

If you need all this personalising, join the Forces Pension Society and one of my colleagues will do the number crunching for you.

From what you have said, I am assuming that you were an AFPS 75 member and were transferred to AFPS 15 on 1 April 2015.

If you are medically discharged from AFPS 75 you will get a pension worked out as if you had left normally and then enhanced by a proportion of the difference between the rate of pension for your rank and length of service and the invaliding rate. The lump sum is three times the pension. From AFPS 15, your benefits will depend upon the Tier they put your condition in. Most conditions are put in Tier 1 so the link is to an article on combination ill health benefits in Tier 1. If you reach the EDP point (20 yrs service and age 40) before you are discharged, you will get your EDP benefits instead of the Tier 1 lump sum.

Pathfinder International magazine

If you need all this personalising, join the Forces Pension Society and one of my colleagues will do the number crunching for you.

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

That is correct regarding the transfer from 75 to 15.

I will read into these now and join the Forces Pension Society.

Thanks again

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.

That is correct regarding the transfer from 75 to 15.

I will read into these now and join the Forces Pension Society.

Thanks again
I know nothing but if MD route is taken your pension is free

ExREME..TECH

On ROPS
On ROPs
Pension is free? What do you mean?

Thanks
If MD your pension is tax free, ie my pension means I pay tax on it, go for the MD

To clear up potential confusion: when MD’d under AFPS75 (no clue about 15, sorry) your specific case goes to Veterans UK and attribution is assessed. If Veterans UK decide the invaliding condition is due to your service, your AFPS75 enhanced pension (as described by FPS above) will be paid tax free for life and a further assessment would be decided on whether and how much of a War Disablement Pension would be paid in addition. This too is tax free.

If Veterans UK decided that your condition was not attributable to your service (eg a car crash on holiday) then the enhanced AFPS75 pension would be taxable and no War Disablement Pension would be paid.

You expressed interest in the lump sum. If memory serves, it is 3 times the AFPS75 enhanced pension and is tax free. It cannot be commuted.

To clear up potential confusion: when MD’d under AFPS75 (no clue about 15, sorry) your specific case goes to Veterans UK and attribution is assessed. If Veterans UK decide the invaliding condition is due to your service, your AFPS75 enhanced pension (as described by FPS above) will be paid tax free for life and a further assessment would be decided on whether and how much of a War Disablement Pension would be paid in addition. This too is tax free.

If Veterans UK decided that your condition was not attributable to your service (eg a car crash on holiday) then the enhanced AFPS75 pension would be taxable and no War Disablement Pension would be paid.

You expressed interest in the lump sum. If memory serves, it is 3 times the AFPS75 enhanced pension and is tax free. It cannot be commuted.

Again thank you for your advice, it is starting to help build up a picture.

As you said - "If memory serves, it is 3 times the AFPS75 enhanced pension and is tax free". Where do I find out where that figure is, is it on the calculator?

Thanks again

Again thank you for your advice, it is starting to help build up a picture.

As you said - "If memory serves, it is 3 times the AFPS75 enhanced pension and is tax free". Where do I find out where that figure is, is it on the calculator?

Thanks again
No worries, I appreciate the stress involved and the difficulty getting good gen.

The lump sum is definitely 3 times the enhanced pension. A reasonable overview of all aspects of the 75 scheme is here.

The calculator is very little use ime, as it cannot take into account Veterans UK’s decision on degree of disability fir attributable War Pension. Also note, I don’t know exactly how the proportions of 75 v 15 would work out for you but at least you have some info on the 75 bit.

Good luck.

Latest Threads