Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Med discharge - calculation

Min77

Crow
Hi,
Could someone please help me work out how much my pension will be for a invaliding medical discharge Tier 1 or point me in the right direction of where to find the info.

Calculation attached for my last forecast which was for me under normal discharge leaving in Oct 20 however I’ve been retained for medical treatment and will be medically discharged instead on May 21. I joined jan 1998, will be discharged May 2021, 75/15 Pension. WO1 since 14 Oct 19. No breaks in service.
How much should I expect in terms of Lump sum and Pension?

Attachments

• 91D741CD-9779-4BC4-9325-202D8BBE4007.jpeg
    91D741CD-9779-4BC4-9325-202D8BBE4007.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 100

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
As you have passed the EDP point, you would (under current arrangements) get your EDP rather than the Tier 1 lump sum. As you know, there a consultation period has just finished in respect to the remedy to the transfer arrangements to AFPS 15 (which were ruled to be discriminatory). The expectation is that members will be offered the choice of benefits under their 'old' scheme as if they had not been transferred or the mix illustrated by your statement above.

I will find you a copy of a Pathfinder article on Tier 1 discharges at link which will explain how the split is calculated but, of course, if you are a member of the Force Pension Society, my colleagues in the Pensions Team will work the figures out for you.

Min77

Crow
If the Tier 1 lump sum equates to more than the EDP lump sum is this taken into consideration and larger figure given?

Min77

Crow
Thank you. I’d already read the article it’s the 75 part that I’m struggling to work out and the article doesn’t help much

I’ve joined the pension society but frustratingly don’t have access yet for help and I need to know quickly what I’m likely to get

Last edited:

Min77

Crow
As you have passed the EDP point, you would (under current arrangements) get your EDP rather than the Tier 1 lump sum. As you know, there a consultation period has just finished in respect to the remedy to the transfer arrangements to AFPS 15 (which were ruled to be discriminatory). The expectation is that members will be offered the choice of benefits under their 'old' scheme as if they had not been transferred or the mix illustrated by your statement above.

I will find you a copy of a Pathfinder article on Tier 1 discharges at link which will explain how the split is calculated but, of course, if you are a member of the Force Pension Society, my colleagues in the Pensions Team will work the figures out for you.

The 15 pension does say EDP or tier 1 whichever gives the greater amount? Does this happen?

Latest Threads