Meatloaf has left the building

I always thought he would be epic to go out drinking with.
RIP

Marvelous Marvin is no more it seems.

I had a trawl through the Meatloaf CD collection only a month ago, most of it is still top-notch and hasn't aged at all.

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
A fantastic technician of music, re-introducing the world to the orchestral story and possessing an emotion filled voice. His loss to the music industry will be felt for a long while. I was fortunate to see Meatloaf on two separate tours and on both occasions came away with the feeling of "wow". There are very few singers to carry a complete range of notes; Roy Orbison was one, Meatloaf was another. A man who lead quite a troubled life, may be rest in peace.

My old man loved his music.

I have fond childhood memories of him bringing his bezzies round the house in the early hours after the boozer, and blasting Meatloaf songs out.

Copied from the Dead Pool 2022 thread.
Sad to hear of the passing of Meat Loaf. Yes, his style was way over the top and the music is definitely of it’s time, but for those of us in our youth back then, it really was a force of nature.
I was already into heavy rock and watched the Old Grey Whistle Test religiously back then - a real antidote to the pish on TOTP! When Meat Loaf and his band played live on that show, accompanied by Karla Devito, it was a truly awesome performance.
I bought the album within a week. Shortly afterwards, I saw him live on Rockpalast on German TV. The sound was amazing and the whole band looked so cool and on top of their game. The album was a constant in my life for that year - I had just met my wife to be, so there are some great memories associated with that album.
It’s fair to say it hasn’t aged well and I can’t remember the last time I played it. His output after that album was mediocre to say the least.
Still, thanks for the memories Mr Aday. RIP.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, he's ended his time with us now!

Amazing singer.

Oh, baby you're the only thing in this whole world
That's pure and good and right.
And wherever you are and wherever you go
There's always gonna be some light

I quite like that bit.
RIP

His music wasn't my thing, but fully respect his output. Good actor too. Great in fight club.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Ach, sad news. Always came across as quite self-effacing on interview. Compare with many now who take themselves far too seriously.

Bat Out of Hell is iconic. There's just no arguing with that. Reading of his death, it was amazing how much of the album I could recount immediately in my head. It wouldn't have been on my play list today but it is now.

RIP to someone who was over the years a spot of colour in life. Full tank, dry skies, straight roads.

Realised over the last hour or so that I’m gutted. I’d say he is one of my favourite musical acts, and am glad to have seen him a couple of times.
I’ve often wondered why a 10 year old boy would be listening to songs like ‘bat out of hell’, ‘for crying out loud’ and ‘Paradise BtDL’ and feeling some kind of connection. Still do.

To Marvin and Jim. I salute you both. Gone but never to be forgotten.

Bat Out of Hell was an instantly and permanently memorable album and I think just about everyone back in BAOR at the time bought it. He always came over as a very nice bloke too. RIP big man and thanks for everything.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Realised over the last hour or so that I’m gutted. I’d say he is one of my favourite musical acts, and am glad to have seen him a couple of times.
I’ve often wondered why a 10 year old boy would be listening to songs like ‘bat out of hell’, ‘for crying out loud’ and ‘Paradise BtDL’ and feeling some kind of connection. Still do.

To Marvin and Jim. I salute you both. Gone but never to be forgotten.
Sudden ear worm. Rock and roll dreams come through, Steinman's version.

...not sure whether to thank you or not. :-D

Got the line "**** You!" in as a lyric during Paradise By The Dashboard Light on the Old Grey Whistle Test, long before the Sex Pistols swore on BBC in the 70's.

See the OGWT version, all the way through.

Most outrageous performance had to be as Eddie in Rocky Horror though, great tune too.

A fantastic technician of music, re-introducing the world to the orchestral story and possessing an emotion filled voice. His loss to the music industry will be felt for a long while. I was fortunate to see Meatloaf on two separate tours and on both occasions came away with the feeling of "wow". There are very few singers to carry a complete range of notes; Roy Orbison was one, Meatloaf was another. A man who lead quite a troubled life, may be rest in peace.

And who fell off a motorbike on stage, pissed.

Old school.

Latest Threads