Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Measuring Distance Walked.

Ex_crab

Old-Salt
I do a fair bit of walking over open country, even more now we have a dog, and I want a cheap way of measuring distance walked. Without going into details, my phone won't do it, so I'm looking for an alternative.

97-090719195401-1.jpg

Decathlon (if there is one near you) do an old fashioned pedometer for a couple of quid. Pretty sure most sports shops could get one. Failing that, that there interweb thingy has shops on. Could be here in time for Christmas!

I do a fair bit of walking over open country, even more now we have a dog, and I want a cheap way of measuring distance walked. Without going into details, my phone won't do it, so I'm looking for an alternative.

Mapmyrun is pretty good for that. Even if your phone can't do GPS you can create the routes and log how long it took etc.

I use their route creator function quite often for planning runs or hikes. One point to note though is that the croute creator is only available on PC, and not the mobile version.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Unless you're a retired officer, in which case you'll need a chap to read it for you :)

Don’t do five miles.

You’ll die.

I use this, contributed the £8 per year which opens up extra features, which includes a satellite image overlay, handy for crosscountry. I have saved over a dozen different routes I use which is handy for helping me keep a daily record.

Why can't you download the Strava app and use it on your phone?

Cheap basic fitbit
Mine cost £49 from Asda.
This kind of thing. I got given for free a Huawei Band 4 Pro type fitness tracker thing. About £30; has GPS, can receive text messages / whatsapp, does step count. Linked up to the phone app it shows you the route where you've walked / run etc, heart rate, speed / splits etc etc. For the price, really really good.

As a bonus, when the Chinese assimilate the west, they'll already have so much data on me that they may well accept me as one of their own.

Latest Threads