Meanwhile, in the VIP lounge at the airport...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22989-1710199,00.html

...Our Home Secretary, Mr Clarke, cracks open his holiday reading (probably Das Kapital), takes another early-morning sip of Veuve Cliquot and crams a custard danish into his trap.

Yes, he's off to sunny spamland for his hols, because there's nothing much happening at home to worry about, is there?

Seeya, Charlie, have a nice time. Can you grab us a carton of Marlboro Lights in duty free?

V!

p.s. and we thought TCH was the ultimate in inappropriate holiday-making?

Clarke is showing how finely tuned his self preservation skills are along with any other labour tosser thats going abroad, they know the sh*t is about to hit the fan but if they aren't here it aint their fault.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Mr Clarke’s advisers said that he would return immediately if circumstances called for his presence.
While I can envisage all sorts of situations that might require the Home Secretary's presence in the UK, I can't think of a single one that requires Charles Clarke's

You have a way with words, but I totally agree with you, but extend that comment to ALL politicians (except Michael Portaloo as I've had a cup of tea with him, charming bloke).

Radical, it's Current Affairs, not the Naafi Bar.

I heard a Met police chief commenting on the fact that many forces have been stretched by G8 and the tube bombings in the last 3 weeks....he said that while many officers had their leave cancelled, those who had actuall spent money on booked holidays would be allowed to continue on them.

I wonder if Charlie ordered that to happen so that he didn't look like a complete d.ick when he jetted off for his own hols.

Oh, I don't know, does the country really need them to be present? Most of the work is done by unseen secretaries, who have got a considerably higher IQ than the 600 or so pot plants in parliament.
Let em go, just hope they seek political asylum when they get there.

Of course you could take the view that he is carrying on with his normal life and not letting the situation stop his pre-planned holiday. A point that is made frequently at the moment is how stoical we are and that we shouldn't let these b*ggers change our way of life. I am also sure that, with today's comms systems, he can be kept up to date with developments and, if necessary, be back here within a few hours.

Vegetius said:
Home Secretary, Mr Clarke, cracks open his holiday reading (probably Das Kapital)

Yes, he's off to sunny spamland for his hols, because there's nothing much happening at home to worry about, is there?
/quote]

Pity the merkins don't arrest him for anti-american activities like being a card carrying commie. *rsehole.

He should be back here supervising the issue of tickets to failed asylum seekers - something his useless f*cking department seems incapable of. See here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/4720085.stm

Or maybe he should running the creche here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4717891.stm

Either way, he shouldn't be enjoying his useless lardarse self.

Clarke is a c0ck, plain and simple. Apparently he is nicknamed "the Chief Super" . I think he should be nicknamed "the Inspector" and put onto the case of the Pink Panther...

Bliar is only covering for him because he is p!ssing off on holiday with the Wicked Witch (Malaysia isn't enough for her) and wants to avoid the flak. Apparently, newspapers have been "requested" not to reveal the destination of the Dear Leader and the First Lady. Why? Everyone knows the Queen goes to Balmoral. I reckon its to spare their freeloading blushes.

Answers as to their destination (on a postcard :twisted:) to this thread please! Please - no cozzie-and-cellulite shots of the Wicked Witch!

The ego of Bliar clearly knows no bounds. Say what you like about Charles Kennedy (ginger etc) but at least he took the Tube the other day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4721403.stm

Blair defends Clarke's holidays

Tony Blair has defended Home Secretary Charles Clarke's decision to go on holiday while the hunt for those behind the London bombings continues.
Mr Clarke delayed the start of his overseas holiday but has faced media criticism for leaving the UK this week.

The prime minister said Mr Clarke was not leading the manhunt himself and would return home if he was needed.

"I personally think it's sensible for people to take the holiday they should have," Mr Blair told reporters.

At a news conference with Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, Mr Blair argued that in the modern world nobody was more than a few hours from returning home.

Rebutting criticism of his minister, he said: "He's been working flat out, he's going to take a break and then he's going to be back. He can come back at any time.

"I will be on holiday at some point next week. I will be back at any point as necessary."

Mr Blair jokingly asked reporters if they were staying in the country.

The prime minister also backed Spanish plans for an "alliance of civilisations" to bring people of different religions together to fight terrorism

Mr Zapatero has suggested Muslim and non-Muslim countries should work together.

Welcoming the idea, Mr Blair said: "I should think everyone can see the common sense of having a coming together of civilised people from whatever religion and that's the importance of it.

"And I think that, as I understand it, the term the alliance of civilisations is in direct contrast to the idea that we are in a clash of civilisations.

"It's the terrorists who want to stir up these differences between Islam and the rest of the world.

"And I think the idea of Spain and Turkey and other countries coming together to give a clear statement of solidarity across the religious divide I think is very, very important."

The two leaders also discussed improving the exchange of information between the UK and Spain to help tackle terrorism.

Mr Zapatero was elected soon after the bombings on Madrid's train network having promised to withdraw Spanish troops from Iraq.

He was asked whether he believed the withdrawal of other troops from Iraq would make all countries safer.

But he said the risk of terrorism was "global" and said his country had been on its highest state of alert ever since pulling its troops out.

America's top military commander in Iraq, General George Casey, has said a substantial number of US troops could be withdrawn from the country next year.

Mr Blair said nothing new was being announced - the US and UK's political strategy had always been to withdraw troops as Iraqi forces built up their security capability.

Latest Threads