Meanwhile, in Afghanistan.....

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goatman, Oct 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Where ?

from S of S' speech to the Indian Head-shed, 5 Oct 05
    full text at: http://news.mod.uk/news/press/news_speech.asp?newsItem_id=3603

Be interesting to see if Angela Merkel changes the German stance towards troops for ISAF.

Le Chevre

2. In what way?

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Just that....

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L16595105.htm

If Afghanistan is the forgotten theatre, the contribution of non US/UK forces to the headcount is practically unrecorded here.

Le Chevre

4. Like to see them cut more units when we are now putting in a whole Div, in there
    Like to be a fly on the wall of the spin meeting between BLIAR and Reichsminister Straw

5. They'll have to form a government to decide first....and that may take some time.

6. 307

307 War Hero

A whole div? Where did that one come from, I thought it was gonna be brigade level deployment? I knew what brigade was supposedly going, but what div? Anyway, didn't you all listen to the nice MOD press secretary, nothings been decided yet........honest.

7. Ok stand corrected , it's a brigade.
    Not a lot of difference these days, certainly not in the British Army

8. 307

307 War Hero

I wasn't correcting you, I thought it was bde that's all if you've been told div. then wait out I guess.

9. Difficult to state precisely what's going to Afghanistan, bde or div, since it's all so messy - not to mention changing almost by the minute. In terms of total numbers, it'll be along the lines of a brigade strength, but it will be excrutiatingly top heavy. ARRC (corps level HQ) is to deploy as the overall HQ ISAF - so that'll be 1,000 UK troops and not a single one of them a 'teeth' arm; and supposedly 16 AA Bde as a sub-HQ. Within 16 Bde there will be 3 'battle groups': 2 inf and one apache. All in all, we'll have 5,000+ troops in theatre of which just 700ish will be 'fighting' troops.