Means to decrease falling over at work?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Excognito, May 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently skiving off work at the express insistence of the company doctor for the rather specious reason that my legs have developed a habit of collapsing under me at inopportune moments. Some days, I'm fine, other days I have difficulty walking more than a few yards or have to go up stairs on my hands and knees. The legs will just give way irrespective of how I feel at any given moment, but it does seem to happen more when I'm turning after just having stood up.

My neck can also play up making it difficult to drive (can't keep hands on wheel for long) or, occasionally, pick up cups of coffee single-handedly.

I had been using a single stick at work, not necessarily because I needed it (although there are a few days when I do), but to give something to stop me falling; the stick isn't always successful and can make it worse by jarring my neck and shoulders.

Currently awaiting neurosurgeon appointment.

I would like to return to work, but work are leery about me returning without something being done about it or the cause determined and mitigation effected. In the mean time (or long time, as may be the case) I was wondering what options might be available to reduce the chances of falling over and lessen the impact when I do (I'm not sure my knees are awfully fond of the process). My wife, bless her socks, has suggested that I use a wheelchair or zimmer frame but I'd feel like a complete fraud using a chair (my step father was paraplegic) and I'm not sure my pride would let me use a walking frame whilst I've still got my own teeth.

Are there any "Manly" options that would help me avoid feeling like a total prat (not that I think those who do use them are prats, but they're proper disabled whereas I can walk several hundred yards on good days). Does anybody make SLR-shaped walking sticks or quarter-staffs that turn into light-sabres?
  2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

If you want to return to work, you want to talk to your company about the health and safety aspects of your working. They are responsible for your welfare while on site.

I would enquire if you can work from a wheelchair. That gets you back to work and deals with 'elf and safety' because your legs are no longer a problem. Whether you use the wheelchair or not outside of work is entirely up to you.

It's a question of practicality - if this drags on the company may start considering legal ways of parting company with you. If you're back at work using a wheelchair and no longer causing concern, everyone is happy.

3. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Good luck with that. In the same vein as your suggestions, how about a Naval solution? Put the sticks inside the suit and don't bother wearing the helmet.

4. ^_~
  5. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Get your HR involved so if they try to shaft, sorry medically discharge, you there is a paper trail of the efforts you have made to return to work.

Also ask if there is any chance of you working from home, although they may be reluctant to do that in case you keel over at home while working for them and they are liable. Worth a shot though and may lead to a different way of working for you.

Try to ensure that any instructions your management give you are followed up in writing, again this is a CYA action.
  6. one of these manyly enough for you?

Sword stick

7. You aren't going to be any wiser until you've had your neuro appt
  8. Thanks, AY. I'm keeping my work fully informed of what's going on; my NHS appointment was end of Aug, I've now got it back to beginning of Aug, which is clearly unacceptable, so I went private (non-insured) last week and am now awaiting MRIs.

You are correct that there isn't any opportunity for working from home due to liability issues. :-(
  9. I know. The GP's physiotherapist won't touch me anymore after I fell over leaving her office following very gentle massage, and the local orthopod says he can't do anything for me (too risky given complex nerve involvement and the scar tissue from a previous back operation - wimp).

Although my wife doesn't think I'll be that much wiser after seeing the neuro! :biggrin:
  10. Hmm, maybe ... with an SMLE attached to it. :twisted:

As used in the very appropriately named film Legends of the Fall.
  11. Cool. I think I'd keep the helmet, though, and get one up on those Google Glasses.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Equally cool. I can see Health and Safety having a few issues with that one, though. :-(
  13. Run it off.

In the event of any pain, take two ibuprofen and apply a tubi-grip.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Means to decrease falling over at work?

Go easy on the vodka and cornflakes breakfast and cut out the pint of brandy Naafi breaks?

Might help.
  15. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

how about a dalek suit?