Means Tested For University

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Howay_the_Lads, Jan 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I live with my partner, (not married) and we have a joint mortgage. We have no reason to get married, although we do have a child together. Now, my partner has two older children who are coming up to university age. The question is, when they are means tested for tuition fees, does my income come into it. After all, I am merely their mothers boyfriend. My partner brings in a modest sum each month, however her ex-huspand and the father of her kids is quite well off.

    Anyone like to offer some advice on the matter.

    Kind Regards

  2. Prior to any means testing, I suggest you have a notional bust up and pretend to separate. While this seems on the surface a little dishonest, just think of all those EU students who will be getting their places for free, as well as Scottish students subsidised by YOUR taxes. You do not owe Gordon Brown any favours, do whatever is necessary to get your kids through uni and if that includes playing the game, just remember how much you are paying in Tax and NI contributions anyway.
  3. Mr_Fingerz

    Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

    In a previous life, I assessed parental income for student grant purposes. Then, and I have no reason to believe that this has changed, the income of the natural parent was taken into account, and that of any adoptive parent. However, if you were merely cohabiting, any cohabitees income was not taken into account as there was no direct link to the child seeking the award.

    However, to be on the safe side, you should talk to the student support section of your local education authority, or if you want to be a little bit sneaky just ask for whatever guidance accompanies the application form.
  4. It doesn't apply if you are cohibiting as you have no direct responsibility for the child, nor should you feel obliged to pay for her. Additionally if the parents are seperated then it takes into account of the parent the child is dependant upon unless she is in very close contact with the other and also dependant on them.
  5. This link may help

    In answer to your question you are saying you are the older childrens mother boyfriend and the younger childs dad
    yet you have a home togeather and they all have the same mum , i am not too sure if the older children call you dad or by your first name .
    But my point being is i am not aware of your personal circumstances and whether the older children father pay them allowance every month
    but in my personal opinion if you are living togeather with there mum you must be paying , for gas ,electric,council tax, water rates, mortgage , clothes and food for the children .
    so taking your wages in to account i dont is going to be any difference and less there biological father wants to contribute to there education .
    i have a older brother and we all have the same father but different mums and there is no way on this earth would i want him to treated any different to any of my brothers and sister .the thing is what you really need to think about any one can be a father but to be a dad says it all .
    in my opinion as another person suggested Prior to any means testing, I suggest you have a notional bust up and pretend to separate. this is totally wrong and what example are you showing your family
    about values .
  6. I think this has been pretty comprehensively covered by the above info. But I thought I would just add my 2ps worth.

    A few (many) years ago, I was in the same boat as your partners daughter. My parents split up just as I was going to uni. Fortunately for me, it meant that my grant was based on my mothers income only (yes, those were in the days when you still got a grant and didn't have to pay fees). :roll:

    I have just been through the same thing with my sister. My mother has since re-married. However, the fees are still based on my mothers income soley. Since my step-father has not legally adopted us, then he bears no financial responsibility for us.

    Summary- if you get married or not, the fees should be based on your partners income only. If they spend most of their time dependent on her. If they are mostly dependent on their father, it should be on his income. One or the other.

    I hope that helps!
  7. Move to Scotland, shack up with your Beezer and apply to the local Outreach Officer for a grant to "explore your sexuality".

    Get her children to join you and apply for University through the Outreach Officer.

    If anyone calls your bluff, threaten to sue them personally for discrimination.