Meaning of "Being Jack"

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by gingerchick, Mar 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know where the phrase "being Jack" comes from?

2. Ask Jack...... (now THATS Jack!)
  3. Buy a book called "Jack Speak" its all in there

4. Don't ask me.
  5. Useful replies, YOU JACK FATHERLESSES!
  6. Jack Jones (alone) on your Jack is by yourself.
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

You don't know Jack sh!t
  8. I'm all right,Jack
  9. Well it beats jacking off
  10. I'm alright, i know what it means.

This is F_G, jumping on the bandwagon!!!
  11. Could always ask a Jolly Jack Tar.
  12. I do!

Jack is the only son of Awe Schitt and O. Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Knee-deep Schitt, Inc.

Jack Schitt married Noe Schitt and they had 6 children: Holie Schitt, The twins; Deep Schitt and Dip Schitt, Fulla Schitt, Giva Schitt and Bull Schitt.

Jack and Noe divorced. Noe later married Mr. Sherlock and because her kids were living with them, she wanted to keep her previous name. She was known as Noe Schitt-Sherlock.

Dip Schitt married Loda Schitt and they had Chicken Schitt. Fulla Schitt and Giva Schitt married the Happens
    brothers in a dual ceremony.

The Schitt-Happens children are Dawg, Byrd and Horse. Bull Schitt left home to tour the world. He recently returned with his new bride, Pisa Schitt.

Now, when someone say's you don't know Jack Schitt, you can correct them. :lol:
  13. I'm guessing there was someone really fcuking lazy at one point called jack, then it just sort of caught on..
  14. I think it came from a story or film or somesuch where the arse being rescued from the sea reaches the deck of the rescue ship and says to the Matelot "I'm alright Jack, pull up the ladder" not worrying about the others left in the water. Hence Jack Man.

In England in the 1950s, the phrase “I’m alright , Jack” referred sarcastically to the attitude of people who believed all was well in the world as long as they got theirs. “As long as I’ve got mine, everything is fine.”

It was the title of a Peter Sellers film
  15. Then there was Kiplings son; of whom he wrote, "My Boy Jack".