Me water tastes funny...

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Unknown_Quantity, Nov 25, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

I just had to bin a platypus tube cos it was minging and no amount of steriliser tabs or hot water would clear the howling brown gop that has grown there in the past 6 months. :oops:

Does anyone have any good ways of clearing and cleaning the tubes? appart from sterilizing regularly and allowing the tube to dry completely before storing?

2. Have you tried a rifle pull-through? Sounds stupid I know, but I reckon it would work!

3. Try a SIGG bottle cleaning brush (much like a pull-through but not actually toxic). Or just fork out the £9 for a replacement Platy tube...

4. I have read elsewhere that Steradent, the tablets for cleaning false teeth, does the trick.

Makes sense, really ( and no, I dont have false teeth...)

5. knowq this sounds stupid.but the slide cleaning thing for a trombone works great...like a long pipe with brushes on the end.dip brushes in soap.and bob is indeed ur uncle :)

6. Captain_Crusty

Captain_Crusty War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

You can get Camelbak tube pull-throughs. I've seen them in HM Supplies but they are much cheaper in American PXs (I got mine in Kuwait for about $4).

7. can you boil/microwave the platypus bag and tube...iv got one which you supposedly can but not tried yet. And also freezable. its a thermal seam jobby cant remember name though.

mini funnel, jab it into end that attaches to bladder, pour boiling water down?

but if theres actually brown gunk growing in it, id rather spend a tenner for a new one than risk a serious dose of the Sh1ts or worse.

8. As Captain_Crusty said, Camelbak do a pull through - a flexible wire jobby with a brush at the end. I can highly recommend it. Look at eBay, or go down to your local outdoors/bicycle shop.

9. Cotton buds, dipped in sterilising stuff/hot water first. Push 'em into one end of the tube and blow till they pop out the other end. Guaranteed to shift all the brown gunk as well as being amusing.

10. I used to do that trick on my ex wife!

11. sterident does work quite well, and doesnt leave a funny taste like milton does.

best thing is to give it a clean out, then chuck it in the freezer til you need it next. as bacteria cant survive in low temps, the brown gunk wont develop.

12. Bacteria can survive in the freezer, they just breed really really really slowly, which is why you land up with odd black bits at the back if yu don't clean/defrost it after a while. If you want to kill the bacteria you have to either you disinfectant, or heat them to over 60 degrees for a few minutes, a well known procedure developed by the eminent scientist Pasteur.

13. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

Having started this topic on 25 Nov 2003, I decided to bin the gopping platypus on about the 27 Nov 2003. Lessons learnt: 1) Clean the straw properly and not just by putting more and more sterilisers into the bag, 2) Don't replace it with cheaper Platypus imitations because they're crap, 3) Just because the water tastes fine doesn't mean the kit is clean, 4) leave at least a small area of the straw visible and not covered in electrical tape so you can see when the muck appears.

Cheers to those who gave advice.