MDHUs-no lessons learnt!

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by dui-lai, Mar 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having just spoken to people now starting to work at the "lovely" MDHU Portsmouth, it seems the old lessons are not being learnt!

All the Nursing staff have been sent to various wards at the QA and are being given the shiit shifts for the ward they are on!

So how long before the PVR rate becomes as bad as Frimleys in those dark miserable days? :x

Does anybody above the rank of capt have a brain cell that functions correctly? :roll:

Any spare 9mm rounds as I have had enough! :cry:

2. The answer to that question is a resounding no!

When Portsmouth first took over at Haslar a mate of mine signed off and started applying for new jobs. Most other trusts wanted him to undergo retraining due to Portsmouths fantastic record!

What the hell were the MOD doing putting us to work in a trust that's failing. I thought they wanted professional, highly trained, competent soldiers not people who's abilities were dragged down to the level of those they were working with? :oops:

3. P.S. You don't have to be working in an MDHU for things to be crap.

I work at a completely military unit where the shifts are crap and the boss is not paying attention.

We have a 12yr selected Sgt nurse who is just the sort we desperately need.

Guess what? She just signed off and not a dicky bird from anyone! :eek:
    Why is the boss not running around trying to get her to change her mind? Why have M & R not called the unit to find out what they can do? Why when we are so desperately undermanned does noone want to know why they are losing such a person?

Or have I missed something and suddenly due to some fancy maths we're not undermanned and we can afford to lose all our experienced personel?

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Selling out to the lowest bidder, as usual. What matters to them is saving money and helping to prop up the NHS.

They couldn't care less about the quality of care provided to the military, or the careers of military medical staff.

5. Selected Sgt?? Is she a Cpl selected for Sgt or a Sgt selected for SSgt?

Ask for a visit to MCM Div, your unit has to let you go no matter where you are (except on op deployment oviously!!), and they will explain manning figures and other wonderful out of date things that are used to you.

6. exactly, its all about budget.

7. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I am sure the Corps can't wait to get newly qualified QA Cpls in charge of armoured sections.

8. only a matter of time you gooner.

9. Just heard about a junior Nurse here who works over at the QA. :wink:

Been qualified for less than 12 months,turned up there for a night shift and found she was in charge of the whole bloody ward of 30 odd acutely ill patients! 8O

She has been signed off due to the stress, and you may say well she ficking deserves it bloody QA. But to be so junior and dumped in charge where you can lose your number for any cock-up says how shiit the bloody Portsmouth NHS trust and their nursing staff are! :evil:

Don't know what the QA hierarchy are doing about it, probably naff all knowing them!

10. the big wig QAs probably dont know anything about it and the Haslar superiors probably dont want to upset their NHS masters

11. I cant believe you are all surprised! the army has been doing it for years, get rid of all the army hospitals which actually provided an excellent standard of care, due to the staff. Then put all the well trained army personnel into the NHS to look after the crusties whilst the soldiers have to sit on the bloody waiting list's with the rest of the populas. Its true there now seems nothing wrong in making a soldier wait up to 6 months for an appointment and they wonder why we can no longer deploy FE troops, cheers Tony!

12. its all a bag of shite and its too far down the slippery slope for it ever to return to the way it was and should be now.

13. Well said that TURP!

14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The sooner the AMS becomes 100% TA the better!

15. Doesn't surprise me in the slightest. When I was newly qualified I was once rung at home and told you are working at St Mary's tonight not Haslar.

When I got there I discovered that I was opening a new ward for step-down patients. They were wheeling them in from the rest of the trust. I was in charge didn't know the ward, patients, hospital even.

No proper hand over just here they are get on with it. Three of the most junior staff they could drag over from Haslar and they just left us to it without any kit. Not even cups to give the patients a drink.

During the night I found that one patient was straight from A & E suspected MI, one had had a stroke two days previously and one was virtually unconcious and had regular siezures. So much for the social cases we told we were getting.

I made a formal complaint and guess what ******* ignored!!