mctc Colchester (The prison)- How bad is it?

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by greengoblin, Sep 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wondering if Colchester had changed much in 20 years- My Dad was there in 87 and was telling his horror stories. I can imagine nowadays it would be a lot more touchy feely tree hugging balls?

Am I right?
  2. Try searching for it on google, there are some interesting links. never got there myself although I was sentenced to 4 months in 1980 ( discharged the next day because of mittigating circumstances) long story. What you need to remember is that it is a military corrective training centre, so for those staying in, its about taking them back to basics then building them back up ready for return to unit. For those getting out, its just a matter of doing their time and for those waiting for civie procedings f*ck knows I would have thought they would want rid of them asap. Must be better than the unit knick though?
  3. It was bad back in the 70s I did 94 days there. nice hot chocolat though.
    my thanks to Staff Glencarol for his help at that time.
  4. Colchester hasnt change much, its still as boring as ever.
  5. Boring enough to make me feel glad I live in Basildon
  6. I have to disagree bob! There is no way bas vegas! is better than sunny colchester!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. do you get sent to colchester for Civ offences?
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

No, but you can be sent to Coventry for acting like a twat.
  9. Only ever knew 2 guys who went to MCTC. Just down the road from Roman Barracks. They went in there as scrawny striplings dragging their kitbags. When they emerged 4mths later, they were built like bulldozers & carrying their kit on their shoulders at the double. One of them had heard that if you lost your trigger finger, the army would discharge you. (Yeah, sure - typical old QM storeman's beer-bar bullshyt.) He invited his mate to remove the offending digit with an axe, which his mate did. They both had to serve out their time on return to unit.
  10. .....MCTC Colchester...........Butlins compared to Palace Barracks in Belfast!
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Just as it should be!
  12. sapper 1743
    did you enjoy the pleasure of moving the sand pile from one end of the square to the other in a sand bag in full webbing and tin hat
    much harder than colchester
  13. I wish it had been my dad there in 1980 but it was me. Bed and breakfast so 56 days but out in 38.

There was quite a thread on Aviation about it, I should know, I started it.

14. I was there for 120 days, soldier on in 1985 :D

Then, it was the old nissen huts. The provost staff weren't allowed to double us everywhere, as a previous inmate had had a heart attack. Their answer to this was to speed march :shakefist:

Ah, the memories :meditate:
  15. ...and very funny it is too - well worth the read.

PS; MS, you owe me.....