McKinsey&Company appointed to advise the Army WEF Jan 16

So, I've just read that McKinsey's will working with us from Jan 16. This is part of CGS's plan to maximise talent, by including private sector SME's. Apparently, they are to be welcomed with open arms and treated as any other member of the organisation.

I can't help but be a little sceptical about this, as it smacks of feathering ones nest before retiring, but you never know...... A little bit like clutching at straws

I'm sure we could all learn something from the private sector and big business, but do you think this will be the catalyst we need to turn it around? Your thoughts please.

Paragraph 2, definitely yes. The Army isn't a business for most except the Brass who are engineering their own exit strategy

Paragraph 2, definitely yes. The Army isn't a business for most except the Brass who are engineering their own exit strategy
That's the difficulty with trying to mirror business practices and aligning your organisational structures in the same manner. Our organisation's effects are somewhat more nuanced and complex. Nothing wrong with being leaner as long as you look at your essential outputs and eliminate nugatory work etc

That's the difficulty with trying to mirror business practices and aligning your organisational structures in the same manner. Our organisation's effects are somewhat more nuanced and complex. Nothing wrong with being leaner as long as you look at your essential outputs and eliminate nugatory work etc
If you're doing stuff well there's nothing to be worried about is there? Do you know the aim of the attachment or what they'll be reviewing?

They could be there to advise on something as simple as contract negotiation and requirements definition in respect of commercial outsourcing, something the MoD and services don't always get right.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
They could be there to advise on something as simple as contract negotiation and requirements definition in respect of commercial outsourcing, something the MoD and services don't always get right.
Quite. There are certain areas that are ripe for external expertise and assessment, many of which already have that input. The DE&S restructure, for example, was heavily advised by LEK.

That is not the same as business practices being applicable to all aspects of what we do, however, so I'll be very interested to see what they've be asked to advise on. The 'how can the army develop a learning culture' thread is discussing exactly this issue at the moment.

If you're doing stuff well there's nothing to be worried about is there? Do you know the aim of the attachment or what they'll be reviewing?

I don't know enough of the detail, but I think it's intended to be access almost all areas and fact finding initially, with presentations from core capabilities to get them up to speed first. Hopefully it isn't a "House of Lies" style management consultancy just looking to bleed us dry....

I don't know enough of the detail, but I think it's intended to be access almost all areas and fact finding initially, with presentations from core capabilities to get them up to speed first. Hopefully it isn't a "House of Lies" style management consultancy just looking to bleed us dry....
The question is, who ordered an external review?

Consultancy is highly paid for good reasons, I've experienced the reengineering process in business and it works. I've also seen how resistant to change the services can be. Saying "But we're not a business" will not cut it with the Tories, they want VFM all the way.

Then Lean will be ideal. Although we have been using Lean principles for years, except the Army called it "The QM told me to fu ck off" principle

They could be there to advise on something as simple as contract negotiation and requirements definition in respect of commercial outsourcing, something the MoD and services don't ever get right.
Fixed FoC, etc

E

EScotia

Then Lean will be ideal. Although we have been using Lean principles for years, except the Army called it "The QM told me to fu ck off" principle
Lean may well be ideal but not if the Army follow the REME interpretation of it. There's already enough on arrse describing just how far from Lean Principles and implementation the REME version is without me expanding.

The cynic in me has just been disappointed.

I searched "current McKinsey/past British Army" in LinkedIn and only found 1 x ex 1* and above that fitted the bill

"Jobs for the Boy" just doesn't sound quite right in this post Savile age

Mind you - quite a few punchy exLtCols on their books

Nice contract.

Someone up top obviously has no faith in their own decision making and management ability and needs a "Staff Officer Whisperer".

I doubt if anyone below Colonel will see one of them.

Nice contract.

Someone up top obviously has no faith in their own decision making and management ability and needs a "Staff Officer Whisperer".

They tend to know who to talk to. We come back to who has asked for this review and does it have specific aim.

Nice contract.

I think you hit the nail on the head Effendi. The proverbial self-licking lollipop strikes again....

The cynic in me has just been disappointed.

I searched "current McKinsey/past British Army" in LinkedIn and only found 1 x ex 1* and above that fitted the bill

"Jobs for the Boy" just doesn't sound quite right in this post Savile age

Mind you - quite a few punchy exLtCols on their books
The 21-person McKinsey & Co Team which deployed to Iraq in 2006 was quite a remarkable outfit in all honesty. I can't recall the exact talent configuration but it was something like: 4 x Doctors (all business and military studies qualified), 3 or 4 professors, a few Col's from different branches, 2 x F16 Pilots, an Airforce 1* and a 2* Marine Corps fellow as the Project Director; all US for vetting reasons. Together they made a formidable team and ran circles around a very confused US Mil in Baghdad.

The 21-person McKinsey & Co Team which deployed to Iraq in 2006 was quite a remarkable outfit in all honesty. I can't recall the exact talent configuration but it was something like: 4 x Doctors (all business and military studies qualified), 3 or 4 professors, a few Col's from different branches, 2 x F16 Pilots, an Airforce 1* and a 2* Marine Corps fellow as the Project Director; all US for vetting reasons. Together they made a formidable team and ran circles around a very confused US Mil in Baghdad.
So by comparison then, the U.K. will send 1 ex 1*, 2 from Tesco, 1 from Sainsbury, 2 from ASDA and 4 from Sodexo. The only one with any knowledge of the military being the ex 1*. But not too much because they would have retired in 96 and have zero current knowledge of anything military

So by comparison then, the U.K. will send 1 ex 1*, 2 from Tesco, 1 from Sainsbury, 2 from ASDA and 4 from Sodexo. The only one with any knowledge of the military being the ex 1*. But not too much because they would have retired in 96 and have zero current knowledge of anything military
@John G, by any chance?

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The sad thing is that the problems I expect they have been hired to resolve have already been addressed, a solution proposed, the solution tested (on the military), and has demonstrated remarkable success. It has also been explained in a book, by a 4-star general for additional credibility, and for extra super helpfulness comes complete with an accompanying consultancy company who now advise on change management in large organisations. It's almost as if someone had made a bespoke consultancy for exactly the problem we face, headed by the only people to have successfully implemented a solution for said problem in recent military experience.

I know! Let's hire McKinsey!!

The sad thing is that the problems I expect they have been hired to resolve have already been addressed, a solution proposed, the solution tested (on the military), and has demonstrated remarkable success. It has also been explained in a book, by a 4-star general for additional credibility, and for extra super helpfulness comes complete with an accompanying consultancy company who now advise on change management in large organisations. It's almost as if someone had made a bespoke consultancy for exactly the problem we face, headed by the only people to have successfully implemented a solution for said problem in recent military experience.

I know! Let's hire McKinsey!!
Why not, bloody expensive but hey ho it covers my arse!

Latest Threads