McGuinness condemns murder of Andrew Burns in Donegal

#1
McGuinness condemns murder of Andrew Burns in Donegal
Thursday February 14 2008

The people who murdered Andrew Burns are criminals hell bent on damaging society, Martin McGuinness said today.

The Stormont Deputy First Minister, speaking at the end of the British-Irish Council summit in Dublin, strongly rebuked those responsible for the brutal killing.

Mr Burns, 27 from Strabane, Co Tyrone, was shot twice in a church car park in Doneyloop on Tuesday night and his body was later dumped on a roadside close to the Border.

Gardai are investigating a possible link to dissident Republicans as well as other lines of inquiry.

Mr McGuinness said today: ``We face a real threat from the activities of some people within our society.

``It was a dastardly deed. Absolutely despicable. It was carried out by people who have no regard for the community, for the government or law and order.

``That presents a real challenge to all of us.

``We have to give our wholehearted support to the Gardai and the PSNI. These people are criminals and are trying to damage our society in a way that is totally unacceptable to us as political leaders.''
 
#3
The hypocricy leaves me stupified!
 
#5
politicians are the same hypocrites where ever you look, Tony Blair was once a member of CND!
 
#7
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
MADPIERRE16 said:
politicians are the same hypocrites where ever you look, Tony Blair was once a member of CND!

But Bliar only became a terrorist after he became a politician.
a terrorist and a war criminal!
 
#8
MADPIERRE16 said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
MADPIERRE16 said:
politicians are the same hypocrites where ever you look, Tony Blair was once a member of CND!

But Bliar only became a terrorist after he became a politician.
a terrorist and a war criminal!
Many Americans say the same of Bush - but there is not the political will to impeach him, unfortunately.
 
#9
The fact that a man worth twenty Jeffrey Dahmers in vileness could utter such surreal platitudes is really only surmounted by the fact that the population in Northern Ireland is willing to allow him to, and to give him the power he's always yearned for. Laugh, puke or cry. Or leave, I suppose.
 
#10
Yes McGuinness, dispicable, just like the killings you were behind, and the lies / lack of truth you told the Bloody Sunday Enquiry.
2-faced little sh*t. Most decent law-abiding citizens on both sides of the border are happy that it is one less terrorist.
 
#11
Whiskybreath said:
The fact that a man worth twenty Jeffrey Dahmers in vileness could utter such surreal platitudes is really only surmounted by the fact that the population in Northern Ireland is willing to allow him to, and to give him the power he's always yearned for. Laugh, puke or cry. Or leave, I suppose.
In fairness to Martin (can't believe I am writing this!) I don't think he ate or had sex with his victims, mate! I hear he is very straightlaced... :lol:

Edited to add: After they were dead!
 
#12
I would like to thank Mr McGuinness for his words, proving beyond doubt that throughout his long and distinguished political career, he has shown tollerance and restraint.
He did not fire any weapons on Bloody Sunday and was not a senior member of the Derry PIRA and he was certainly not responsible, directly or otherwise for a series of murders and explosions in the Londonderry area throughout the 70's and 80's.
I would also like to add........no nurse....not now........yes I have taken them.....sorry got to go now.
 
#13
where mcguinness is undoubtly a murderer of some experience

and an all round disgusting person

we should at least take some comfort in the fact hat this murdering swine

is encouraging people to go to the PSNI

on this side of the pond

small steps are massive steps
 
#14
The PSF calls for people to report crime to the Police are as routine as their denunciations of the Police, and their insistence that no 'republican' is guilty of any crime, ever.
 
#15
Whiskybreath said:
The PSF calls for people to report crime to the Police are as routine as their denunciations of the Police, and their insistence that no 'republican' is guilty of any crime, ever.
Right, is all a tactic and a game.
 
#16
I imagine he felt the need to rebuke the killers as they didnt torture the guy for days and then summarily execute him with a bag over his head in the manner that he would have personally approved when he was on the Provisional Army Council......
 
#17
KevinB said:
Whiskybreath said:
The fact that a man worth twenty Jeffrey Dahmers in vileness could utter such surreal platitudes is really only surmounted by the fact that the population in Northern Ireland is willing to allow him to, and to give him the power he's always yearned for. Laugh, puke or cry. Or leave, I suppose.
In fairness to Martin (can't believe I am writing this!) I don't think he ate or had sex with his victims, mate! I hear he is very straightlaced... :lol:

Edited to add: After they were dead!
He usually liked his orange juice 'straightlaced' with vodka, but hey if you have to sell an image........
 
#18
Alec_Lomas said:
KevinB said:
Whiskybreath said:
The fact that a man worth twenty Jeffrey Dahmers in vileness could utter such surreal platitudes is really only surmounted by the fact that the population in Northern Ireland is willing to allow him to, and to give him the power he's always yearned for. Laugh, puke or cry. Or leave, I suppose.
In fairness to Martin (can't believe I am writing this!) I don't think he ate or had sex with his victims, mate! I hear he is very straightlaced... :lol:

Edited to add: After they were dead!
He usually liked his orange juice 'straightlaced' with vodka, but hey if you have to sell an image........
It's well known Wee Marty is a Jesuitical teetotaler. He's even distressed by the drunken antics on Eastenders. Another thing he has in common with Big Ian.

He's being entirely consistent in his views on that murder. A sense of their own ridiculous hypocrisy was never a PIRA attribute.
 
#19
chimera said:
I imagine he felt the need to rebuke the killers as they didnt torture the guy for days and then summarily execute him with a bag over his head in the manner that he would have personally approved when he was on the Provisional Army Council......
Marty didn't get too directly involved as he had family members do the business for PIRA. With one notable exception, it was usually over a long week end i.e. collect person on a Friday via the Buncrana route, while personally visiting relatives to give them assurances that all was well and that he/she would be home in a day or so. Have scarf wearing around the face 'volunteer' bang on door during the hours of darkness to leave with said family a voice recording tape of 'interview' justifying why his / her body was to be found on lonely road / forest trail, usually with the head shot away so that the family could not hold an 'open' coffin wake.
 
#20
KevinB said:
Mr McGuinness said today: ``We face a real threat from the activities of some people within our society.

``It was a dastardly deed. Absolutely despicable. It was carried out by people who have no regard for the community, for the government or law and order.
When on trail Martin McGuinness said the following: On trial in the Republic in 1973, he said: "We have fought against the killing of our people. I am a member of Oglaigh na Eireann (IRA) and very, very proud of it."

Here is his cv

1971-73 Officer - Commanding Derry Brigade PIRA. As the commanding officer of the IRA's Derry Brigade in the early 70's he personally fought countless gun battles with British soldiers and organised the destruction of the commercial centre of his native city. Of the city's 150 shops only 20 were left trading. One third of the 320 killed in Londonderry attributed to the troubles died in street clashes and gun battles during this period (54 of them members of HM Security Forces).

1972 One of 7 IRA Delegation invited to London for "Peace Talks" with William Whitelaw. "All of them (including McGuinness and Adams) were IRA, not Sinn Fein" Sean MacStiofain (former IRA Chief of Staff).

1973 Arrested, Donegal close to car filled with 2501b of explosives and 5000 rounds of ammunition, sentenced to 6 month imprisonment. McGuinness refused to recognise the Republic's court and stated only "I am a member of the Derry Brigade of Oglaigh na hEireann (gaelic for IRA) and am very, very proud of it".

1974 Arrested and jailed in Republic for membership of PIRA.

1975 Director of Operations, Northern Command PIRA. 1976 Jailed, Crumlin Road, Belfast. Charged with membership PIRA, later dropped.

1982 Ceased to be Chief of Staff PIRA, to perform political role. Although he, it is believed, is no longer involved in the IRA's administration on a day-to-day basis and holds no formal title on the Army Council, he remains the most important Republican leader and a most influential figure.

1983-2000 Negotiator for Sinn Fein Source: Kevin Toolis's book on the IRA, Rebel Hearts published by Picador 1995



Leopard and spots springs to mind
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top