McGuinness calls for Northern Ireland Referendum

Why not have more threads on this?

This thread is all Jarrod's fault. I post it in the NAAFI so that the full spectrum of opinion can be unleashed.

Scottish referendum: Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness calls for Northern Ireland border poll following Scotland result

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...-poll-following-scotland-result-30600629.html

Obviously Marty missed the bit where the Scots ran screaming from the thought of going it alone let alone joining a country whose National Debt currently stands at €180 billion.

To be fair it was always said that things would only changed when the majority decided it. What is the current prod/catholic ratio?

The only difference is that McGuinness et al, having had a taste of power, probably don't want a united ireland any longer.

'Bearing in mind we know where you live, are you keen to keep your kneecaps intact by agreeing to whatever we want?" could be the question.

To be fair it was always said that things would only changed when the majority decided it. What is the current prod/catholic ratio?

The only difference is that McGuinness et al, having had a taste of power, probably don't want a united ireland any longer.

The Protestant/Catholic ratio is irrelevant IMO. On Wednesday Newstalk radio station did a thing in Belfast where this guy goes around and asks people their opinion on some subject. Wednesday they were asking people about such a poll and what way would they vote. He got one person who wanted a United Ireland out of about a dozen.

I must say that I find it unusual for Sinn Fein to do this now. They know it isn't going to happen, and if it did they know that they will lose the referendum. So obviously there's more to this than meets the eye.

Nobody is going to ask us in the south if we actually want these buggers though

homeworker

War Hero

I think that you will find that Eire does not particularly cherish the idea of joining up with their northern cousins. The welfare bill, all of the chaps vying for supremacy within their own turf, etc. would swap the IRA and derivatives for the Unionist swivel eyed loons willing to shoot and bomb their way back to the union

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Just playing it by the book. Keeping the believers happy by possibly giving them something to look forward to.
The Scots nearly got it by whinging, wearing skirts and painting their faces blue. How come lengthy campaigns of murder and bombing by the IRA failed so spectacularly.

I think we should go for it!

We will save a spankingly huge amount of dosh. The economy will turn around with the national debt being paid off and change left to spend a few quid on whatever we like!

In the meantime, Martin and his pals will rapidly find out what it's like to have to run a country with sod all money to pay for it.

Result!!!

Last edited:
The Scots nearly got it by whinging, wearing skirts and painting their faces blue. How come lengthy campaigns of murder and bombing by the IRA failed so spectacularly.

It's strange because terrorists are generally treated more seriously than drunken gobshites in ginger wigs.

Trust me, he does. Financial rationale doesn't come into it. It's a Celtic thing. Our former dear leader Blair was hoping to enter the history books as being the 'One'.

I reckon it might actually be a good thing. When the number of No voters turns out to be massively higher than the number of Catholics in NI maybe people outside NI will finally realise that things are a bit more complicated than just nasty Prods and Brits oppressing poor Catholics.

Trust me, he does. Financial rationale doesn't come into it. It's a Celtic thing. Our former dear leader Blair was hoping to enter the history books as being the 'One'.

A united ireland would leave him out in the cold, no power, no voice and certainly no excuse to return to the Armalite.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The Protestant/Catholic ratio is irrelevant IMO. On Wednesday Newstalk radio station did a thing in Belfast where this guy goes around and asks people their opinion on some subject. Wednesday they were asking people about such a poll and what way would they vote. He got one person who wanted a United Ireland out of about a dozen.

I must say that I find it unusual for Sinn Fein to do this now. They know it isn't going to happen, and if it did they know that they will lose the referendum. So obviously there's more to this than meets the eye.

Nobody is going to ask us in the south if we actually want these buggers though
Maybe St Martin of Pira thinks he has outgrown Sinn Fein and that the world political stage is waiting just for him!

If McGuinness does want a united ireland he must be mad, he might think he would be seen as some sort of irish hero but having lived out there for a while ( county kerry) and having most of the family from just south of the border I think if he manage to unify ireland he would be seen simply as the man who ended cross border shopping opprtunities for most people and the cross border smuggling for other less then pleasent types.

Either way he would almost certainly be strung up...and not by the neck.

When I lived out they would drive hundeds of miles to the border for the booze runs etc ...and they hated the british.

Nationanlism is all well and good but having to pay irish prices and irish duty rates was seen as a mugs game, I would not want to be the person responsible for ending that one.

alib

LE
Getting desperate as 2016 rolls over the horizon with not even a distant prospect of the border going.

Don't start a vote you'll probably lose. Recent polling has suggested support for leaving the Union amongst N.I. Papists is down in the high 20s. The lowest it's been since partition. Add on the dwindling but solidly Unionist Prods and you have a yawning gap far larger than anything the the SNP faced in Scotland. Meanwhile the two communities birth rates are now nearly the same.

A border poll would make little sense without Enda saying unification would even be practical and the South having a referendum to confirm that they'd shoulder the burden North instead of the English tax payer, and neither are likely to be affirmative.

jim30

LE
I am all for a referendum, and for once i would have less moral concern if i heard of ballot rigging, providing it gave us a yes vote.

I am all for NI going its own way, but i suspect they wont like the reality of being all alone when the south politely tells them where to go.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'd vote for them being inflicted on those double dyed bastards in the South serve the ******* right for all the years they "didn't" offer the twats support

DaManBugs

LE
Book Reviewer
A united Ireland. Now wouldn't that be nice.

MsG

Latest Threads