McDonalds Refuse to Support 2007 Poppy Appeal

#1
I have become an Area co-ordinator for the Poppy Appeal for the last 2 years and inherited an area that includes a branch of McDonalds. For each of the last 2 years they have had a Poppy box and collected a significant amount of money for the appeal. I went in today with the box and collecting tins and was told by the manager that McDonalds no longer take part in the Poppy appeal as they support their own charity. Anyone else out there come across this or has anyone seen a poppy box in a McD's this year? I have sent an e mail to McD's customer services but they won't respond until Monday at the earliest. I was shocked at the time (but polite) and only became angry as I was on my way home. The Poppy Appeal is a British institution and considering that this particular McD's is only 3 miles from a military establishment which has lost people in action recently, I am appalled. Can you imagine McD's not supporting American service charities in the good old US of A, I think not.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#3
vinceprince said:
I have become an Area co-ordinator for the Poppy Appeal for the last 2 years and inherited an area that includes a branch of McDonalds. For each of the last 2 years they have had a Poppy box and collected a significant amount of money for the appeal. I went in today with the box and collecting tins and was told by the manager that McDonalds no longer take part in the Poppy appeal as they support their own charity. Anyone else out there come across this or has anyone seen a poppy box in a McD's this year? I have sent an e mail to McD's customer services but they won't respond until Monday at the earliest. I was shocked at the time (but polite) and only became angry as I was on my way home. The Poppy Appeal is a British institution and considering that this particular McD's is only 3 miles from a military establishment which has lost people in action recently, I am appalled. Can you imagine McD's not supporting American service charities in the good old US of A, I think not.
And what are you suggesting then you whining git...that we all go to Burger King?

They won't respond until Monday? What b*stards they are eh?

The pubs are open mate. Visit one. Who knows....you might like it.
 
#6
Careful. Arrse is just as liable to libel proceedings as the next site. Let's see what the real situation is here before we jump on the bandwagon. How accurate is this account? As Scabster_Mooch says, there won't be a reply 'till Monday. But, if true, I would hope 'Operation Ronald McDonald' commences with a vengeance.
 
#9
There is one in the Elgin Branch - my nephew put it there!
 
#10
Most of the time, ignorance is to blame, I am sure it will get sorted and the Person/Manager you spoke to may just have been misinformed.

Wait for monday
 
#11
vinceprince said:
Hey, I only asked if anyone had seen a poppy box in a branch of McD's. Thanks for your help.
Yes there is one in the McDs here too
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#12
Why wait for Monday? Is there a deal on McNuggets? Ignore Ozzymick mate, you get straight on that blower to Ronald and give him a piece of your mind. Don't hold back.
 
#13
They have a RBL Poppy appeal box in Portadown in Golden Arches. A friend told me. I was not in at 0830hrs yesterday having a Sausage McMuffin sans Oeuf before I did a no notice visit one of my sites yesterday. Even though I was wearing my poppy I put the shrapnel in.

Be careful before we slate McD. We need them on ourside. If the odd place does not have one then lets be diplomatic.
 
#14
Wasn't there a rumour knocking about a few years ago that McDonalds supported the IRA? Is somebody at McD's anti British Forces?
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#15
The13thDukeOfWybourne said:
Wasn't there a rumour knocking about a few years ago that McDonalds supported the IRA? Is somebody at McD's anti British Forces?
Yeah, the wee Chinese bird who works the drive in at Catterick. She hates squaddies. "Yoo wan fries with that mista?"
 
#16
That IRA nonsense was in BFG in the 1980's. The US Taxman has a thing called an Individual Responsibility Account (IRA) I may be wrong but I thnk it is a US version of National Insurance & Tax for expats.

McD ran an advert "Join us and we pay your IRA". Of course everyone in BFG went mad. There was plastic Ronald McDonalds dragged out of shops and damaged. Drunken Squaddies giving off to burger attendants and a very anti McD stance taken by the BAOR & RAFG.

It was all settled eventually with a bit of PR & Spin by McD and some dit in Gen Orders and Newsletters.

Just goes to show that a bit of misinformation can be uber dangerous.
 
#18
Biscuits_AB said:
Why wait for Monday? Is there a deal on McNuggets? Ignore Ozzymick mate, you get straight on that blower to Ronald and give him a piece of your mind. Don't hold back.
But if he waits till monday the anger will have increased, therefore increasing any action.

Ignorace should be punished. Thing is though I am sure Ronald likes a little S&M.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#19
vinceprince said:
It seems that there are branches out there that have got poppy boxes out. I will let you know what I get back from McD HQ on Monday. Thanks for the info.
McDonalds HQ? Hey, you don't f*ck about with the middle man do you? You're right not to though. I wouldn't want to speak with a 4ft tall cheeseburger with legs when I could go direct to the man with the red nose and the stripey pants at the top.

Mind and come back and tell us what he says eh? (And don't take any of those wee toys as bribes....he's got previous for that by all accounts)
 
#20
if the said McD branch does not support Poppies collections, then of course an email straight to customer service is the best route to go by, make sure you take the Manager''s name, sometimes even asking for his name can really put the sh1ts up them, no manager likes to be noticed in the wrong way by the upper Management, I would say this Manager is either misinformed or stupid, if as was said by some posters here that McD do support poppy collections, be prepared for a grovelling apology from the Manager, if that is forthcoming a bit of major Media embarrassment and boycott is on its way particulalrly if it is taken Nationally.

This worked with Walkabouts, I still refuse to drink in there anyway especially Liverpool Walkabouts due to some high profile incidents in the past including one Sailor who was killed inside the bar, the CCTV footage of the event went missing, that tells me a lot.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top