McDonalds apple pies, pastry or batter?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Ravers, Apr 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Personally I'd say the coating of a McDonalds apple pie is more consistent with the qualities found in batter, i.e it is crispy, golden and it has bubbles in it.

Cuddles reckons it's pastry that has been fried, I dispute his reasoning as by definition pastry should have a flakey or crumbly texture and be light and airy.

Some pictures for comparison:

The offending item:
    [​IMG]

Some fish in batter, note the similar crispy texture and bubbles:
    [​IMG]

Two pies in puff pastry and shortcrust pastry, pay particular attention to the lack of crispy texture on both pies, you will also notice there are no bubbles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What do you reckon?

2. I can't believe I'm answering, but I've always thought it was batter :)

3. Ravers

One nil.

I respect your wisdom.

4. I'd say pastry, possibly coated in sugar to give it the bubbled look where it's started to caramalise.
    Jusk like you see on an apple turnover from a bakers.

[​IMG]

5. I agree with Ravers - Batter. God it's a slow day.

6. Ravers

Pah! It looks nothing like a Maccy's pie. You can see the flakey, puffy pastry, look at the phot of the apple pie again, there is no fluffyness, it's just flat and crispy, like batter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Now I'm actually liking comments on this thread, WTF :0

• Like Like x 1
  8. I don't know but now I want one and am sort of a unoffically a little banned from my local McDonalds which makes you a bastard

9. True. However, a Big Mac looks fuck all like any other burger I've seen. It certainly bears no resemblence to the picture on the menu board in McDonalds.

10. so its not just me that has opened the box taken one look and thought did I order that

11. Ravers

It's pretty gay that when you like a comment a heart appears.

Can't we have a more manly icon? Something like a thumbs up or even a beer? I just reckon hearts are a bit queer that's all, a bit like people who reckon Maccy's pies are coated in pastry.

• Like Like x 2
  12. McDonald's Fried Apple Pie

Ingredients:

2 Cored Skinless Fresh Green Apples

1 Cup Of Crisco Pure All Natural Vegetable Oil

1/2 Teaspoon Of Fresh Ground Cinnamon

1/3 Cup Of C&H White Pure Cane Sugar

2 Cups Of White All Purpose Baking Flour

1/2 Cup Of Pure Vegetable Shortening

1 Teaspoon Of Coarse Ground Table Salt

1/2 Cup Of Cold Bottled Water

Information:

Serving Size 8

530 Calories Per Serving

41 Grams Of Fat

Preparation Instructions:

To get started with this McDonald's fried apple pie recipe, you will first need to peel and remove the core from your fresh green apples. Next chop your apples into small chunks, then add them to a medium size saucepan. Moving along, next stir into the apples the white pure cane sugar and fresh ground cinnamon. Cook these ingredients over low heat, until the fruit is soft and tender. Next mash up the apples until you have a chunky mixture. Set this mixture aside to cool, then take out a mixing bowl. Add into the bowl the white all purpose baking flour and coarse ground table salt. Next drop small clumps of the pure vegetable shortening into the flour mixture, then gradually add in the bottled water. Mix up these ingredients into a creamy and even batter. Now it is time to prepare the apple pie pastry shell, so flour a clean surface, and then roll out your batter into an eighth inch thickness. Cut out four inch diameter shaped circles. Spoon one large tablespoon of the apple syrup mixture into the center of each dough circle, then moisten the edges and fold them into place. Use a fork to bind the seal. We are now ready to cook these pies, so pour your vegetable oil into a large cooking skillet. Heat the oil over medium high heat, then fry each apple pie until the outer shell is golden brown. Once you are done, let the pies cool on a plate lined with a paper towel. Serve them warm with a tall glass of cold milk.

13. can you deepfry pastry

i know you can fry batter but what about pastry, answer that and answer your question

14. Ravers

By definition though a big mac is a burger because it is a piece of meat (sort of) between some bread. Once I had a big mac that actually looked like the picture on the wall. It only happened once mind and I took it back to complain. When I eat at Maccy D's I expect my food to be loosely thrown into the box and then even more loosely thrown into the brown paper bag. I always order extra gherkins too, just so I can pick them out and throw them at the drive through window, they stick really well to glass.

• Like Like x 1
  15. That McApple pie looks nasty