McChrystal Bans Burgers on the Boardwalk

Discussion in 'US' started by REMFQuestions, Mar 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. McChrystal orders AAFES scaled back especially in Kandahar Airfield.

Gen. Stanley McChrystal, commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, has ordered many Army and Air Force Exchange Service facilities closed as a way to focus on the war and to provide space for the U.S. troop buildup.

According to a “fragmentary order” issued earlier this month, concessions such as Burger King, Dairy Queen, Orange Julius, Pizza Hut, the Oakley stores and Military Car Sales must be closed within 60 days, with the possibility that each concession could get a 30-day extension.

“With all the resources and personnel coming in, you just don’t have the space (for the facilities that are being closed),” one U.S. military official said.

“This is a war zone — not an amusement park,” Hall wrote.

The order does not require the closure of some quality of life facilities and programs, the official said. Internet access, including the ability to talk to loved ones on Skype, and library services will remain, he said.

AAFES stores will stay open along with barber and beauty shops, USO operations and services such as checking out recreation gear, movies and board games. The order also exempts Green Bean coffee shops, AT&T call centers, cell phone activation services, alterations concessions and Afghan bazaars that operate one day a week.

More here

The Times article elaborates that Stanley eats 1 meal every 24hrs, sleeps for 4 hours a night and runs 8 miles a day. What a Spartan!
  2. I am sure the teeth arms don't mind when they get some downtime though? The opposition is mainly from the teeth arms actually.
  3. So what's the best mobile phone for use in Afghanistan ?
  4. Surprisingly, McChrystal is a US general who actually knows what's going on in his theatre of operations:-

“We have shot an amazing number of people (in Afghanistan), but to my knowledge, none has ever proven to be a threat,” says top American commander.

Media Mutes General's Afghan Admission
  5. Geez, I remember coming back on base and being glad to have hot chili mac or green eggs in a thermite, wtf is with the mall stuff??? and who works there, locals??
  6. Military car sales?
  7. Yep, it allows them to go in to say, Harley order it, pay it off and have it waiting when they go home.
    they had it at kuwait too
  8. And if they don't?

Kind of like the guy that says, "Hey, I'll hold your money for ya while you go out on patrol...".
  9. Understood.
  10. Heh heh heh.
  11. Good job. Just creates unnecessary resentment.

12. I don't think Harley Davidson go to the trouble of franchising out to a warzone to scam people out of cash. US Forces have been using that service for years.
  13. I think you missed the point.
  14. The Program runs through AAFES. If some poor sob is done it goes to the NOK.

For those who come home it's a HELL of a lot better than the scumbag dealers off post selling lemons to Pvt.s at outrageous prices.
  15. I agree. I had one of those lemons. 3 color Datson B210 with a rag as an oil cap and break pads so thin they lasted until I got it in the gate then was scraping metal.

I remember the dealership at Camp Casey. I was just kidding about the I'll hold your cash for you comment. I know it's thru the exchange and I doubt they would last this long if they pulled anything dodgy.

I do remember us having to stand in line to hear a sales pitch from American Amicable or general insurance though for "bone riders". Dunno if they still do that.

$10 for a broken finger, $25 for a thumb, etc.

I understand wanting to make it more like home, but the reason for getting rid of them is to make space like he said. The shop may be small but I imagine shipping, storing, and producing enough burgers, pizzas and what not for a camp that size has got to have some sort of large footprint.