McCanns get £550,000 apology from the Express

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by mac1, Mar 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I once read a memoir by Max Hastings called "Editor" about his time as editor of the Telegraph. IIRC correctly, he ranked the press in terms of "believability" as the Intl Herald Tribune & FT at the top, the Star at the bottom and the Express next. It figures...,,30100-1309913,00.html
  2. Thats the mortgage covered for a few more months then
  3. Has anyone actually seen either of the parents show any emotion yet?

For the first few weeks all they did was go for walks along the beach with the teddy in hand, not a tear was to be seen!!!!! and ive still not seen one.

Something odd about a parent that doesnt look to have shed a tear at the loss of a child.
  4. So, no tears = guilty?

The walking along the beech was all about keeping the story in the news rather than trying to catch a tan through an extended holiday.
  5. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Here's a health warning for this thread. Any more of this kind of crap and I'll just bin it. This type of comment has been done to death, adds the square root of sod all value to the debate and just displays the kind of mentality that the Express group has just been fined for. Give it a rest.
  6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Unlocked and one post moved to A&E. Keep it on topic.
  7. I still think there guilty as they're making obscene amounts of money out of it.. their time will come when they get a royal shafting.. 8O

no sympathy till they tell the truth :evil:
  8. Thats this thread binned then.

Not as silent as you first thought Assassin?
  9. Still can't understand there sheer crass stupidity.

IIRC, they had to work so hard to even get a child, then they just leave their three kids alone, whilst they p1ss it up in a bar.

I have said from the beginning, these two do not deserve our sympathy. I still hope that the nipper will be found safe.
  10. You're right on every point Frog.

It's true they don't deserve sympathy and I am sure they regret (beyond comprehension) how stupid they were on that evening back whenever it was.

Just because they don't display emotion like we expect them too does not mean they are guilty. It also means that, when a national rag accuses them of killing their daughter, they have the right to defend themselves in court. Anyone else would do the same.
  11. Couldn't agree more on either point.
  12. But are they? They don't accept any responsibility and isn't that the problem? I'm sure more people would be on their side if they said "hands up, we were fecking stupid but until we find our baby lets forget about it. We'll deal with the consequences of our actions after we get her back" but all they says is "it's like having dinner at the bottom of our garden"? How does that work?

I accept it's a tragic thing to have happened but it WAS avoidable.
  13. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

It strikes me that these people are being castigated for showing a true British trait, the stiff upper lip and not showing emotion. I dont care if I am in a list of one supporting the McCanns. I for one have had enough of seeing chav scum bleating on the 'mejia' the recent case in Dewsbury Moor being a fine example. FFS get a grip.
  14. Perhaps it is the hardest thing for a parent to accept; putting their own child in danger without a second thought of the consequences. I am sure we can all pinpoint a moment in our past where we have messed up. However, I accept there will not be many of us (if any) who have really fcuked up like these two.

I don't know the answer Jimmy; all I know is that it was avoidable and they will know that. I suspect, in private, they will never come to terms with the whole thing and the front we see is quite probably a shield to protect themselves from the many column inches that have been produced over the past months.

Don't get me wrong here, if I had a chance I'd give the pair of them a bloody good talking to but I doubt it would sink in. At the end of the day they have lost a daughter and they'll have to live with that for the rest of their lives.
  15. Fair point. I'm not asking for emotion but a little humility isn't a bad thing.