McCanns get £550,000 apology from the Express

#1
The parents of Madeleine McCann have welcomed Express Newspapers' public apology following "numerous grotesque, defamatory articles".

Gerry and Kate McCannA statement read by the McCanns' public spokesperson confirmed the group has agreed to pay £550,000 to the Find Madeleine Fund.

They have also been forced to say sorry for more than 100 inaccurate articles written about her parents.

The donation will now go towards "investigative initiatives" in the search for Madeleine.
I once read a memoir by Max Hastings called "Editor" about his time as editor of the Telegraph. IIRC correctly, he ranked the press in terms of "believability" as the Intl Herald Tribune & FT at the top, the Star at the bottom and the Express next. It figures...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1309913,00.html
 
#3
Has anyone actually seen either of the parents show any emotion yet?

For the first few weeks all they did was go for walks along the beach with the teddy in hand, not a tear was to be seen!!!!! and ive still not seen one.

Something odd about a parent that doesnt look to have shed a tear at the loss of a child.
 
#4
Gren said:
Has anyone actually seen either of the parents show any emotion yet?

For the first few weeks all they did was go for walks along the beach with the teddy in hand, not a tear was to be seen!!!!! and ive still not seen one.

Something odd about a parent that doesnt look to have shed a tear at the loss of a child.
So, no tears = guilty?

The walking along the beech was all about keeping the story in the news rather than trying to catch a tan through an extended holiday.
 

Forastero

LE
Moderator
#5
Gren said:
Has anyone actually seen either of the parents show any emotion yet?

For the first few weeks all they did was go for walks along the beach with the teddy in hand, not a tear was to be seen!!!!! and ive still not seen one.

Something odd about a parent that doesnt look to have shed a tear at the loss of a child.
Here's a health warning for this thread. Any more of this kind of crap and I'll just bin it. This type of comment has been done to death, adds the square root of sod all value to the debate and just displays the kind of mentality that the Express group has just been fined for. Give it a rest.
 
#7
I still think there guilty as sin....now they're making obscene amounts of money out of it.. their time will come when they get a royal shafting.. 8O

no sympathy till they tell the truth :evil:
 
#9
Still can't understand there sheer crass stupidity.

IIRC, they had to work so hard to even get a child, then they just leave their three kids alone, whilst they p1ss it up in a bar.

I have said from the beginning, these two do not deserve our sympathy. I still hope that the nipper will be found safe.
 
#10
You're right on every point Frog.

It's true they don't deserve sympathy and I am sure they regret (beyond comprehension) how stupid they were on that evening back whenever it was.

Just because they don't display emotion like we expect them too does not mean they are guilty. It also means that, when a national rag accuses them of killing their daughter, they have the right to defend themselves in court. Anyone else would do the same.
 
#12
mediumwhiteamericano said:
You're right on every point Frog.

It's true they don't deserve sympathy and I am sure they regret (beyond comprehension) how stupid they were on that evening back whenever it was.

Just because they don't display emotion like we expect them too does not mean they are guilty. It also means that, when a national rag accuses them of killing their daughter, they have the right to defend themselves in court. Anyone else would do the same.
But are they? They don't accept any responsibility and isn't that the problem? I'm sure more people would be on their side if they said "hands up, we were fecking stupid but until we find our baby lets forget about it. We'll deal with the consequences of our actions after we get her back" but all they says is "it's like having dinner at the bottom of our garden"? How does that work?

I accept it's a tragic thing to have happened but it WAS avoidable.
 

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
#13
It strikes me that these people are being castigated for showing a true British trait, the stiff upper lip and not showing emotion. I dont care if I am in a list of one supporting the McCanns. I for one have had enough of seeing chav scum bleating on the 'mejia' the recent case in Dewsbury Moor being a fine example. FFS get a grip.
 
#14
Perhaps it is the hardest thing for a parent to accept; putting their own child in danger without a second thought of the consequences. I am sure we can all pinpoint a moment in our past where we have messed up. However, I accept there will not be many of us (if any) who have really fcuked up like these two.

I don't know the answer Jimmy; all I know is that it was avoidable and they will know that. I suspect, in private, they will never come to terms with the whole thing and the front we see is quite probably a shield to protect themselves from the many column inches that have been produced over the past months.

Don't get me wrong here, if I had a chance I'd give the pair of them a bloody good talking to but I doubt it would sink in. At the end of the day they have lost a daughter and they'll have to live with that for the rest of their lives.
 
#15
Longlenny said:
It strikes me that these people are being castigated for showing a true British trait, the stiff upper lip and not showing emotion. I dont care if I am in a list of one supporting the McCanns. I for one have had enough of seeing chav scum bleating on the 'mejia' the recent case in Dewsbury Moor being a fine example. FFS get a grip.
Fair point. I'm not asking for emotion but a little humility isn't a bad thing.
 
#16
mediumwhiteamericano said:
Perhaps it is the hardest thing for a parent to accept; putting their own child in danger without a second thought of the consequences. I am sure we can all pinpoint a moment in our past where we have messed up. However, I accept there will not be many of us (if any) who have really fcuked up like these two.

I don't know the answer Jimmy; all I know is that it was avoidable and they will know that. I suspect, in private, they will never come to terms with the whole thing and the front we see is quite probably a shield to protect themselves from the many column inches that have been produced over the past months.

Don't get me wrong here, if I had a chance I'd give the pair of them a bloody good talking to but I doubt it would sink in. At the end of the day they have lost a daughter and they'll have to live with that for the rest of their lives.
That was deep! :)

You are right it's something they'll never forget and that's probably punishment enough but as stated on my previous post a little humility from them would go a long way in the PR point of view. If their goal (and I hope it is) is to keep looking for their daughter FOR their daughters sake and not just to pay the mortgage then perhaps a little admission of error would warm the publics heart and actually make more people interested in the poor girl and not the scandal!
 
#17
Yeah cheers mate, a subject close to the MWA heart.

However, you are right. If they just made the step change from victim to concerned parent (or should that be convincing concerned parent) then I think the public mood would shift.

Although, after all that has been said and done I suspect it's too late for the majority of people who have already made up their minds because it's the obvious solution.
 
#18
Gren said:
Has anyone actually seen either of the parents show any emotion yet?

For the first few weeks all they did was go for walks along the beach with the teddy in hand, not a tear was to be seen!!!!! and ive still not seen one.

Something odd about a parent that doesnt look to have shed a tear at the loss of a child.
Oddly enough, some people don't go in for tearing their hair out, covering themselves in ash and wailing their eyes out IN PUBLIC. Strange that.
 
#19
JimmyNeutron said:
mediumwhiteamericano said:
You're right on every point Frog.

It's true they don't deserve sympathy and I am sure they regret (beyond comprehension) how stupid they were on that evening back whenever it was.

Just because they don't display emotion like we expect them too does not mean they are guilty. It also means that, when a national rag accuses them of killing their daughter, they have the right to defend themselves in court. Anyone else would do the same.
But are they? They don't accept any responsibility and isn't that the problem? I'm sure more people would be on their side if they said "hands up, we were fecking stupid but until we find our baby lets forget about it. We'll deal with the consequences of our actions after we get her back" but all they says is "it's like having dinner at the bottom of our garden"? How does that work?

I accept it's a tragic thing to have happened but it WAS avoidable.
Vernon Coleman is very controversial but this is something he wrote not long after the kid went missing.

When three-year-old Madeleine McCann disappeared she was alone with her younger siblings in a ground floor holiday apartment rented by her parents. They had gone out to dinner.

Let's get this straight.

The Drs McCann didn't have to rush out in an emergency. They could, presumably, have hired a baby sitter. They chose not to. They chose to leave their three very small children in a flat in a foreign country while they went out to have a good time in a restaurant.

What is going on here?

Why haven't the parents been interviewed by social workers?

Is it now legal for British parents to leave their tiny children alone while they go out for fun?

The McCanns left three children alone. The oldest was three-years-old.

The last time I looked, teenage mothers got into trouble if they popped out to the shops to get a pint of milk and a loaf of bread and left their children alone.

Under British law parents can be charged with neglect or abandonment if they leave their children alone if it is unsafe to do so.

It clearly was unsafe to leave these three small children alone. One of them is now missing.


Full article here, http://www.vernoncoleman.com/main.htm

Click on Miscellany then "Are Madeleine McCann's Parents Guilty Of Neglect"
 
#20
JimmyNeutron said:
mediumwhiteamericano said:
You're right on every point Frog.

It's true they don't deserve sympathy and I am sure they regret (beyond comprehension) how stupid they were on that evening back whenever it was.

Just because they don't display emotion like we expect them too does not mean they are guilty. It also means that, when a national rag accuses them of killing their daughter, they have the right to defend themselves in court. Anyone else would do the same.
But are they? They don't accept any responsibility and isn't that the problem? I'm sure more people would be on their side if they said "hands up, we were fecking stupid but until we find our baby lets forget about it. We'll deal with the consequences of our actions after we get her back" but all they says is "it's like having dinner at the bottom of our garden"? How does that work?

I accept it's a tragic thing to have happened but it WAS avoidable.
So it's worse than the bints who regulary pop up in the news having f**ked off on Holiday leaving their kid at home with a fridge full of micro chips?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top