MBT Regiments in Afghanistan

Hi everyone,

I am a Potential Officer looking to join the RAC, as most people do, my focus has been on FR Regiments. I was wondered what the role is off the MBT regiments on Op Herrick?

What vehicles are they re-roling in? What jobs are they generally doing?

Thanks,

Id suppose the best word would be supporting. This isnt meaning not worthwhile etc , but they are crewing vehicles such as Vikings, some are in support roles in Bases,but theirs a fair few out there at mo.

spaz said:
StickyToffeePudding said:
spaz said:
StickyToffeePudding said:
sniper9 said:
nope just viking and mastiff, MBT is dead
Til Iran...

Shuuuuuuuuussshh, you didn't hear that from me and I wasn't here...
Or anywhere else probably.
I'm just one of the voices inside what passes for your mind.

Now go look in the mirror, bitch, and punch yourself in the nose...
Got your number Walter.
Call any time, reverse the charges if you like...

Exwing said:
Hi everyone,

I am a Potential Officer looking to join the RAC, as most people do, my focus has been on FR Regiments. I was wondered what the role is off the MBT regiments on Op Herrick?

What vehicles are they re-roling in? What jobs are they generally doing?

Thanks,
Take RDG, 4 mech brigade, herrick 12. They're deploying but manning mastiff, look at herrick 11, 2RTR manning viking. FR regiments still have FR in afghan but are using Jackal, jackal estate and CVRT as means. MBT regs aren't dead and gone as far as CR2 is concerned (basrah - 2003) but certainley on the decrease. Take 2RTR as an example since 2003 they've manned CR2 , CVRT , WR , Masttiff and warthog.

Needless to say if I had my time over again I would have gone peoples cav. As a troop leader you will be out amoungst it getting rounds down. Thankfully because of numerous kicking and screaming matches and several teddies power slammed into the corner I shall be allowed to play in about twelve days. :D :D :D

britannia said:
If we went to war with iran wouldn't they be using our own tanks against us? Accoring to this they have 400 of the the chieftain mk3.
One of the finest quotes I ever saw on the sh*thouse wall in Rheinsahlen camp was "Cheiftain, arguably the best main battle tank in the world. As long as it broke down in a decent fire position!" How I laughed, has remained with me for the rest of my life.

Was on the last Pre-Batus to take place on Soltau, god I miss that place- well all the smokers & nights trolling round on the ARV/ARRV/CRARRV.

Nobby

Thanks I guess for all the comments! I'm heading down to Bovington for a RAC PO visit, I'm hoping they'll shed some light on this situation.

On a similar note, I've noticed that obviously FR is the prefered choice of most YO's going through Sandhurst (who want Cav) but is there any stigma in the sort of people certain regiments have? Obviously HCav are all eton and royalty, but I was getting the same impression from LD as well.

Any more comments on what MBT Reg's are doing at the minute will be much appreciated.

britannia said:
If we went to war with iran wouldn't they be using our own tanks against us? Accoring to this they have 400 of the the chieftain mk3.
Can you imagine the state they will be in !!!!!! :D ,in any case the tossers that they sent to R.A.C. centre to be trained many moons ago will all be long dead, still laugh like a drain at the memory of one of their(iranian) officers binning all the stoppage drills and beating the shit out of the comds gpmg with a hammer ,in fact the cnt had not even put the belt on, he was screaming stoppage to himself, the schoolie on the back a certain Q.O.H. sgt was in fcking tears. Bunch of tossers, if we go there in the future please please take me along for the laughs.

revmodes said:
britannia said:
Can you imagine the state they will be in !!!!!! :D ,in any case the tossers that they sent to R.A.C. centre to be trained many moons ago will all be long dead, still laugh like a drain at the memory of one of their(iranian) officers binning all the stoppage drills and beating the s*** out of the comds gpmg with a hammer ,in fact the cnt had not even put the belt on, he was screaming stoppage to himself, the schoolie on the back a certain Q.O.H. sgt was in fcking tears. Bunch of tossers, if we go there in the future please please take me along for the laughs.
There was a video I downloaded off Iranian Television (Im sure I wouldntbe on the MI5 watch list If I did it now) showing the latest Iranian Upgrade of the Chieftain. It was roughly equivilant to a Chieftain Mk11, including what appeared to be a new optical system (including TIS?), new engine and uparmour packs. Looked quite impressive on the surface, till you suddenly realised some pill had put the tracks on the wrong way round.

Still, at least they could run away faster.....