MBT Names

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Tankie2ndrtr, Aug 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Tankie2ndrtr

Tankie2ndrtr Old-Salt Reviewer

Ok one thing has been bugging me and its why do all (that i know of) our MBT's Begin with "C" and CVRT's begin with S. then fox and ferret come into it which is a lil more confusing.....

2. You will get a lot of answers to this one I'm sure. WW1 some tanks got names 'Whippet' being one due to the tanks 'speed'!! Between the wars there was such a bewildering array of tanks that, in most cases it was pointless trying to name them and they were simply designated by a WD designation such as Vickers Medium or the A10 Cruiser relating to the 'class' of a tank but, as the 30's ended names were coming along like the 'matilda'. As WW2 started some jobsworth at the WD decided they should be named like the Americans already were. So along came Crusader and the gang. The Yanks named theirs after famous Generals such as Sherman or Lee - which when we got it in our guise they cunningly called it the Grant so we wouldn't get confused. The Stuart came to us and, 3RTR drivers in Africa thought that driving it was such a pleasure they nicknamed it 'The Honey' which stuck as an unofficial designation. We tended to go for names with meaning rather than personalities other than the Churchill which was obviously named in honour of the PM and his cigar or the Cromwell after the Lord Protector of the Commonwealth in the 17th Century. But it started a tradition of naming tanks with the letter C as probably it had more words that fitted the bill in the English dictionary. Who started it officially I don't know but, it stuck and along came Covenanter, Challenger(early one), Comet, Centurion, Conqueror, Chieftain and Challenger 1 and 2!! This is obviously not the official answer but I'm sure you'll get loads of response from the technowhizz's amongst us mate.

3. It's way too early for me to be posting on ARRSE, so I find my slightly odd sense of humour kicking in.
    I reckon we should call the next generation of tank "Colin".

4. No, no, nooo. In this day and age and in celebration of our multicultural representation, it would have to be called 'the Lesbian'.

5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Not sure why you should think that especially as your own Regiment does not See Here

6. Tankie2ndrtr

Yeah, they are the individual names for the wagons, I mean Challenger and chieftan, things like that.......

7. "Churchill and his cigar"?

So the next US tank could be called the Clinton then?

8. Don't forget Arthur the Chieftain was also known as the Cnut!!! :D

'Monica' would be more apt I feel! :roll:

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

As they are by c/s I presume they are the tonks and baby tonk names. You will also see such list for 1RTR. :?

10. Tankie2ndrtr

Baby Tonk names ?. confused, granted prolly a typo for tanks but baby tanks ?

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

A baby tonk is a CVRT.

12. I suspect that if we cracked a book we'd find out that the Churchill tank was named for John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough.

13. I think the tank names begin with C as they were originally WW2 Cruiser tanks, thus COVENANTER, CRUSADER, CAVALIER, CROMWELL, CENTAUR, COMET, CHALLENGER (A30), CENTURION etc.

There are a few oddities, such as MATILDA & VALENTINE (but they was named really before the line between Cruiser & Infantry tank became blurred).

The Cruiser tank was swift, and the Infantry tank slow but heavily armoured.

By the middle of the war, the practice of tanks having names that began with C was developed, so the CHURCHILL was so named even though it was an Infantry tank not a Cruiser.

Generally tanks that weren't developed in the UK picked up names that the US already used such as SHERMAN, STUART and GRANT.

Self-propelled artillery guns had ecclesiastical names such as BISHOP, PRIEST and DEACON, whilst tank destroyers had names beginning with A, such as ARCHER, AVENGER and ACHILLES.

As ever, there are exceptions such as TORTOISE, but it seems as if the trend for using names beginning with C carried on after the war with CHIEFTAIN and CHALLENGER as MBTs, the successor to the Cruiser tank, and ABBOT the SPG.

14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

It's Monday and I have caught up :oops: . My dullard ways though you were on about individual tank names :?

15. Fluffy old chap.................Cavalier???? Are you not getting confused with Vauxhalls?? Tis but certainly a new one on me?? Mind you, my Chieftain, 42 in 12 Tp C Sqn 3RTR was named Cavalier.. but, as S54 pointed out, I also called it cnut when it continually had L60 failure!!!!!