MBT Names

#2
You will get a lot of answers to this one I'm sure. WW1 some tanks got names 'Whippet' being one due to the tanks 'speed'!! Between the wars there was such a bewildering array of tanks that, in most cases it was pointless trying to name them and they were simply designated by a WD designation such as Vickers Medium or the A10 Cruiser relating to the 'class' of a tank but, as the 30's ended names were coming along like the 'matilda'. As WW2 started some jobsworth at the WD decided they should be named like the Americans already were. So along came Crusader and the gang. The Yanks named theirs after famous Generals such as Sherman or Lee - which when we got it in our guise they cunningly called it the Grant so we wouldn't get confused. The Stuart came to us and, 3RTR drivers in Africa thought that driving it was such a pleasure they nicknamed it 'The Honey' which stuck as an unofficial designation. We tended to go for names with meaning rather than personalities other than the Churchill which was obviously named in honour of the PM and his cigar or the Cromwell after the Lord Protector of the Commonwealth in the 17th Century. But it started a tradition of naming tanks with the letter C as probably it had more words that fitted the bill in the English dictionary. Who started it officially I don't know but, it stuck and along came Covenanter, Challenger(early one), Comet, Centurion, Conqueror, Chieftain and Challenger 1 and 2!! This is obviously not the official answer but I'm sure you'll get loads of response from the technowhizz's amongst us mate.
 
#3
It's way too early for me to be posting on ARRSE, so I find my slightly odd sense of humour kicking in.
I reckon we should call the next generation of tank "Colin".
 
#4
Slightly_Nasty said:
It's way too early for me to be posting on ARRSE, so I find my slightly odd sense of humour kicking in.
I reckon we should call the next generation of tank "Colin".
No, no, nooo. In this day and age and in celebration of our multicultural representation, it would have to be called 'the Lesbian'.
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#5
Tankie2ndrtr said:
Ok one thing has been bugging me and its why do all (that i know of) our MBT's Begin with "C" and CVRT's begin with S. then fox and ferret come into it which is a lil more confusing.....
Not sure why you should think that especially as your own Regiment does not See Here
 
#8
Arthur3bums said:
You will get a lot of answers to this one I'm sure. WW1 some tanks got names 'Whippet' being one due to the tanks 'speed'!! Between the wars there was such a bewildering array of tanks that, in most cases it was pointless trying to name them and they were simply designated by a WD designation such as Vickers Medium or the A10 Cruiser relating to the 'class' of a tank but, as the 30's ended names were coming along like the 'matilda'. As WW2 started some jobsworth at the WD decided they should be named like the Americans already were. So along came Crusader and the gang. The Yanks named theirs after famous Generals such as Sherman or Lee - which when we got it in our guise they cunningly called it the Grant so we wouldn't get confused. The Stuart came to us and, 3RTR drivers in Africa thought that driving it was such a pleasure they nicknamed it 'The Honey' which stuck as an unofficial designation. We tended to go for names with meaning rather than personalities other than the Churchill which was obviously named in honour of the PM and his cigar or the Cromwell after the Lord Protector of the Commonwealth in the 17th Century. But it started a tradition of naming tanks with the letter C as probably it had more words that fitted the bill in the English dictionary. Who started it officially I don't know but, it stuck and along came Covenanter, Challenger(early one), Comet, Centurion, Conqueror, Chieftain and Challenger 1 and 2!! This is obviously not the official answer but I'm sure you'll get loads of response from the technowhizz's amongst us mate.
Don't forget Arthur the Chieftain was also known as the Cnut!!! :D

John_Jorrocks said:
"Churchill and his cigar"?

So the next US tank could be called the Clinton then?
'Monica' would be more apt I feel! :roll:
 

elovabloke

ADC
Moderator
#9
Tankie2ndrtr said:
Yeah, they are the individual names for the wagons, I mean Challenger and chieftan, things like that.......
As they are by c/s I presume they are the tonks and baby tonk names. You will also see such list for 1RTR. :?
 
#13
I think the tank names begin with C as they were originally WW2 Cruiser tanks, thus COVENANTER, CRUSADER, CAVALIER, CROMWELL, CENTAUR, COMET, CHALLENGER (A30), CENTURION etc.

There are a few oddities, such as MATILDA & VALENTINE (but they was named really before the line between Cruiser & Infantry tank became blurred).

The Cruiser tank was swift, and the Infantry tank slow but heavily armoured.

By the middle of the war, the practice of tanks having names that began with C was developed, so the CHURCHILL was so named even though it was an Infantry tank not a Cruiser.

Generally tanks that weren't developed in the UK picked up names that the US already used such as SHERMAN, STUART and GRANT.

Self-propelled artillery guns had ecclesiastical names such as BISHOP, PRIEST and DEACON, whilst tank destroyers had names beginning with A, such as ARCHER, AVENGER and ACHILLES.

As ever, there are exceptions such as TORTOISE, but it seems as if the trend for using names beginning with C carried on after the war with CHIEFTAIN and CHALLENGER as MBTs, the successor to the Cruiser tank, and ABBOT the SPG.
 
#14
FluffyBunny said:
I think the tank names begin with C as they were originally WW2 Cruiser tanks, thus COVENANTER, CRUSADER, CAVALIER, CROMWELL, CENTAUR, COMET, CHALLENGER (A30), CENTURION etc.
It's Monday and I have caught up :oops: . My dullard ways though you were on about individual tank names :?
 
#15
Fluffy old chap.................Cavalier???? Are you not getting confused with Vauxhalls?? Tis but certainly a new one on me?? Mind you, my Chieftain, 42 in 12 Tp C Sqn 3RTR was named Cavalier.. but, as S54 pointed out, I also called it cnut when it continually had L60 failure!!!!!
 
#16
At the risk of being accused of spotterism Arthur old chap ..........

:D

CAVALIER was the A24. Very similar to the A27 CROMWELL & CENTAUR tanks, but with a Liberty engine instead of the Merlin-derived Meteor unit fitted to CROMWELL etc.

Mostly used for trg and as OP Tanks, witrh a few ARVs converted in 1944.
 
#17
We named our 3 fitter vehicles in a certain sqn beginning with'B' = "Bullsh#t, Baffles & Brains"

:D

Bodgit & scarper would have been better mind!
 

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
#19
Arthur3bums said:
Fluffy old chap.................Cavalier???? Are you not getting confused with Vauxhalls??
1. Churchills were built by Vauxhall.

2. When the Ayatollahs took over Iran and the RAC suddenly had 1200 Shir Iran 2s to play with but didn't want to call it Shir Iran (Lion of Persia) 2, they asked us via Regimental Orders what we, the RAC would like to call them. Seeing as how we already had had Challenger, I personally voted for Cavalier, but got outvoted.
 
#20
Fluffybunnster
I was that interested I had a google at it....................see what you mean, never made a real name for itself hence my confusion. Cheers.
 

Similar threads

Top