MBT in a C130 and A400 payload?

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by instinct, Jan 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Chaps,

Having a discussion with a friend who says that the C130 can move MBT's and has seen a Chally 2 in the back and that the A400 has less payload than a Herc.

This seems to go against what i knew of the types, please can someone give me an expert opinion?

Thanks

2. Ask the experts:

LINKY

3. He's a bit wrong. C-130 will not accommodate an MBT. The USAF gives the following payloads for the various models of C-130.

Maximum Allowable Payload:
    C-130E, 42,000 pounds (19,090 kilograms)
    C-130H, 42,000 pounds (19,090 kilograms)
    C-130J, 42,000 pounds (19,090 kilograms)
    C-130J-30, 44,000 (19,958 kilograms)
    Maximum Normal Payload:
    C-130E, 36,500 pounds (16,590 kilograms)
    C-130H, 36,500 pounds (16,590 kilograms)
    C-130J, 34,000 pounds (15,422 kilograms)
    C-130J-30, 36,000 pounds (16,329 kilograms)

A400M has a stated max payload of just over 37,000kg.

CR2 weighs somewhere in the order of 62,000kg... So if your mate wants to fit a Chally in the back of either, then good luck to him.

You can get CVR(T) in the back of a Herc - the Rockapes used to do (1980s, IIRC) an airshow demonstration piece where a Herc came in doing something approximating to a Khe Sanh approach, landed and disgorged a number of rocks plus a Scorpion. They then 'seized the airfield' after charging about firing blanks (coupled with some simulated explosions).

4. I guess you'd get a CR2 into either of them.

Eventually.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Your friend needs to do some research. You could not get a CR2 into a Herc let alone get airborne afterwards. You might just get one into an A400M but you will not get airborne. The C-17 will lift an M1 Abrams (about 63 tonnes), so might lift a CR2.

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  6. A Tracked Rapier used to just fit into a Herc with about two inches clearance all round. However a TR was only about half the size and a fifth of the weight of an MBT....

7. You can get CVR(T) in the back of a Herc - the Rockapes used to do (1980s, IIRC) an airshow demonstration piece where a Herc came in doing something approximating to a Khe Sanh approach, landed and disgorged a number of rocks plus a Scorpion. They then 'seized the airfield' after charging about firing blanks (coupled with some simulated explosions).[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link to the painting they must have commissioned?

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Your friend is presumably confused between C-17 and C-130. C-17 can move MBTs (although I'm not sure whether it's currently cleared to carry CR2) and has a bigger payload than an A400.

A400 has about twice the payload of a C-130, and C-17 has about twice the payload of an A400.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shame I can only give you the one 'like' for this. Well done.

10. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

They probably hire out either the big Russia birds or the C17 for the big stuff....Remember that CR2 and the others are 60+ tonne when fully kitted but strip off the armour packs and all the stowed kit and fuel and you can drop the weight down quite a bit.

Just checked - C17 will take 77,000 Kg in the back so easily take a CR2.

S_R

11. Your mate is wrong,

The following platforms(MSP's), with 7 RHA kit rigged for drop will fit in the aircraft with not much clearance either side so you can see a chally 2 having a problem squeezing in

pinz-on-msp.jpg

pinz-on-msp-rear.jpg

12. Given enough lube and enough hydraulic pressure...

13. I never said it'd be pretty...