MBE, OBE, CBE, DBE, etc, Question

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Lt_Gen_Me, Jan 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello All,

I was discussing this with a friend today...If a Female Civvy is awarded a OBE, etc, she gets a Bow made from the medal ribbon with the medal mounted. Males, military or Civvy, get a standard medal (a am aware that the ribbion Milly vs. Civvy differs by a stripe).

Now...If a Female member of the Military of award one of these awards, does she get the Male Military version or the Female (Bow) Military version?

Civil Female CBE and Male OBE Versions below

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sorry about the spelling! It is 0340 :eek:S

3. The bows are for female civilian dress only. There is no provision for bow-mounted awards to be worn in military uniform. However, there's nothing to stop a female remounting her award on a bow after uniformed service - but it would look odd if she had other medals.

4. All females admitted to the Order in both Military and Civil Divisions are actually presnted with the medal on a bow.

If the medal is to be worn on uniform, it would have to be remounted. I guess this doesn't really matter as a serving soldier would be unlikely to have this as their only medal.

5. it doesn't have to be remounted though for mess dress - have seen it many times!

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

So, if they turn up in best bib-n-tucker al la MOD with a string of ribbons from other tours, do they still get a bow mounted medal?

In Johnson Beharry's book, he tells how he gets the 'gong' from Betty, but then goes through to another room where he hands it over and gets the real one! WTF is that all about?

7. A miniature has to be purchased for Mess Dress. I suppose a lady could specify a ribbon bow for her miniature but that would seem to be outside the above question as a miniature is not presented, only the full size medal.

8. It seems to happen the other way round as well. I met that Kate Adie at a military dinner and she was wareing her M(?)BE together with a GRANBY medal conventionally mounted together as minatures.

9. Military females get the same medal as the men, not the one on the bow.

Auld-Yin - once the medal has been presented, the recipient goes to an ante-room where the flunky removes the hook that had been attached to the recipient's jacket, puts the medal in a box and hands it back to you. There is no medal switching going on!

10. If you know better old chap, of course I give way.

However, my statement comes from a friend of mine who's Mum (Cpl. UDR) was awarded a Military Division BEM. This was presented on a bow (she collected it in uniform, with BEM and GSM ribbons already sewn on) and she had it remounted alongside her GSM.

11. I was speaking from personal experience (as a chapess) I was presented with a gong last year in uniform and bows were not even mentioned. Maybe your friend's mum got hers some time ago and since then someone has realised that a female in the military will not need the bow mounting?

12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Aps - get what you are saying. But as I have never, and am extremely unlikely to, been invited to Buck House for tea & medals, I can only go with what Johnson Beharry's book says.

p 359

That is from Johnson's book - a fine read by the way, so I have to take it from someone who has actually been there. The photo of him receiving the Cross clearly show the hook, therefore not pinned.

However there are quite a few factual 'gaffs' such as saluting his CSM and calling him Sgt Maj all the time instead of Sir. These are very minor points from a fine story.

13. In that case I bow to greater knowledge. It was actually in the early 1980s I believe.

14. Auld-Yin - once the medal has been presented, the recipient goes to an ante-room where the flunky removes the hook that had been attached to the recipient's jacket, puts the medal in a box and hands it back to you. There is no medal switching going on!

Exactly the same process for me to! - Although the value of the VC both financially and nationally might bring with it a seperate set of rules regarding the handling of it.. Just my input!

15. Kate Adie has a Granby medal ? what for ? She was a journo and not serving right ?