Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by singha61, Jun 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New international airport opens in Mazar-e-Sharif paid for by the Germans it cost 48 Million Euros and 3 years to build.

Aiana News

Maulana International Airport opened in Mazar-e-Sharif

The Maulana International Airport opened Sunday during a gathering that included the German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle, the Minister of Transportation and Aviation, Mohammad Daud Najafizada, and the Governor of Balkh, Atta Mohammad Noor, and some other local officials on Sunday.

The International Airport costs 48 million Euros and has taken 3 years to be built by Germany. The airport will connect Balkh to Asia, European countries, and finally the rest of the world.

The German Foreign Minister Westerwelle during the opening ceremony said, “Building the Maulana international Airport is showing our strong and long-term commitment. The residents of the North will be able to travel directly to Asia, Europe and the rest of the World and also people in the world will be able to easily come and visit the Northern provinces from any points.”

The Minister of Transportation and Aviation, Mohammad Daud Najafizada, said, “This Airport has the capacity of 100,000 passengers in one year.

The Balkh Governor Atta Mohammad Noor said this International Airport will play a vital role in boosting business, strengthening political relationships, and helping in the development of the handicraft industry that will be important to the future growth of ancient Balkh.

He said, “We expect the German Government to remain in Afghanistan after 2014. Especially because of our upcoming presidential elections our people have more expectations from the German Government.”

Mazar city is counted as one of the biggest cities in Afghanistan and businesses based in Balkh that are doing business in world markets will now be able to travel to those markets directly from the new airport as flights are made available.

The inauguration of this International Airport will play an important and positive role in boosting the economy in the Northern Provinces.

Maulana International Airport opened in Mazar-e-Sharif - Ariana News

Good to see something positive coming put of Afghanistan

Background on the airport from Wikipedia

Maulana Jalaluddin Balkhi International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  2. Will "Germany" ( I presume a private finance operation? Or the govt?) make money from the airport by selling it on/running it for profit?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Maulana International Airport opened in Mazar-e-Sharif...

I doubt if it will replace any of the better known holiday destinations.

I suspect that it will get very busy as a transit hub in the days following the withdrawal of the last NATO combat troops....

"A one way ticket to anywhere outside Afghanistan? Certainly sir, how would you like to pay - embezzled government money, misappropriated international aid money or illegal drug money?"

• Like Like x 2
  4. Just a new terminal building to be strictly accurate. Based on the other side of the runway of Marmel military airfield. Handy for pilgrimages to the Blue Mosque in MeS.
  5. I can't wait, might not bother with Malaga for my Summer messy lads holiday.

"Come on boys, we're off to Mazar-e-Sharif! Grab your lidos!"
  6. Grab a lido?!

How are you going to get an open air swimming pool into your luggage let alone fill it when you get there?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Ahhh what a twat. Lilo even.

I'm just off to have myself tested for both Downs and Ups.