Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe a daft question - Lance Corporal

This may sound very stupid but I’m extremely interested in joining the army. The two roles that stick out for me is either joining the infantry or household cavalry as a regular.

There are some roles (For example Operator Military intelligence) which allow you to potentially gain promotion to Lc from the get go after you have finished phase 1 and 2 training.

my question is: Can you complete the training for this role, gain promotion to Lance corporal and then transfer to another area of the army holding the same rank? If so can you do this instantly and what are the general going’s on with it?

Soldiers can transfer between trades and cap badge, but only if it is in the interest of the Army.

Any course which attracts promotion on completion is usually long, technical and expensive. The promotion is not there as because of your leadership, it is there because you require that authority to operate or because you need to be on a higher pay scale. Soldiers who complete such courses are often time barred in role.

Promotion in the infantry and other teeth arms is primarily on the basis of leadership, which requires experience. You would do yourself no favours and cause great harm to your troops.

I was a LCpl after 11 months and a Cpl a year later. I was still immature and certainly not a leader at that time.

If you are capable of technical courses then go for them and then seek Para/Commando or SF courses, if that is your whim.

Alternatively complete a few years in a teeth arm and transfer to a technical trade. The experience will be invaluable and promotion quicker (usually).

Soldiers can transfer between trades and cap badge, but only if it is in the interest of the Army.

Any course which attracts promotion on completion is usually long, technical and expensive. The promotion is not there as because of your leadership, it is there because you require that authority to operate or because you need to be on a higher pay scale. Soldiers who complete such courses are often time barred in role.

Promotion in the infantry and other teeth arms is primarily on the basis of leadership, which requires experience. You would do yourself no favours and cause great harm to your troops.

I was a LCpl after 11 months and a Cpl a year later. I was still immature and certainly not a leader at that time.

If you are capable of technical courses then go for them and then seek Para/Commando or SF courses, if that is your whim.

Alternatively complete a few years in a teeth arm and transfer to a technical trade. The experience will be invaluable and promotion quicker (usually).
Thanks for your answer it’s really appreciated.
Could I ask for an example of how I could go for a more technical role and then seek para/commando courses? That sounds like something I’d be interested in.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Could I ask for an example of how I could go for a more technical role and then seek para/commando courses? That sounds like something I’d be interested in.
There are roles for technical types which require the incumbents to be parachute- or Commando-trained. Most cap badges have a few of these. The fitness and military skills requirements are demanding, as you'd expect and there's a fair degree of competition among those seeking them for not that many slots.

Most Corps will have a Para/Commando element.

Ammunition Technician within the RLC conducts EOD (Bomb disposal) which may be of interest to you. Once you hit Sergeant you can undertake Assault IEDD (more bomb disposal) requiring you to be Para trained (but without P Coy). As such you would regularly work with SF and Police firearms.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Most Corps will have a Para/Commando element.

Ammunition Technician within the RLC conducts EOD (Bomb disposal) which may be of interest to you. Once you hit Sergeant you can undertake Assault IEDD (more bomb disposal) requiring you to be Para trained (but without P Coy). As such you would regularly work with SF and Police firearms.
As a caution to the OP, @dingerr developed his own, unique take on airborne operations which I wouldn't recommend to you.

As a caution to the OP, @dingerr developed his own, unique take on airborne operations which I wouldn't recommend to you.

HANOP (High Altitude, NO Parachute) is dead in the water having failed the evaluation stage as it wasn’t possible to hit the ground running.

Latest Threads