"May questions UK’s top tier military status.."

How strange - that list by @Archimedes was in response to your line that amphibious forces have not been used since 1982, but CR2 etc has since 1990. Does CR2 in the Gulf in 1990/1991 and 2003 onwards not count as neo colonialism, but warships do?

Why do you think the Non Combatant Evacuation Operations and Counter Piracy are neo Colonialism?
CR2 in the Gulf 1990/91 was a legitimate use of force to free Kuwait after a foreign invasion. 2003 was neo-colonialism, although it's worth noting that it couldn't have happened without land forces. The navy could have swanneda round the gulf for 20 years and Saddam would still be in power. NCEO and counter piracy aren't warfare and however useful the RN is in these situations it shouldn't be it's core role

You make that sound like Mr. Trump's America First strategy.
Yes

Has Russia the power to actually cause that to become true ? This is where I'm sceptical.
and how many more places does Russia need to invade before you lose that scepticism.

So making Russia into our latest enemy is a bad move ?
It strikes me as better than making them into our master.

If the 2010 SDSR had kicked all armour into storage and instead focused all that money and energy into the career and manpower system, I wager the current Army would be in a much better state now, and ironically probably much closer to producing an actual armoured force.
Well it would have more people and more VSOs so from a career prospect of course it's better for those with careers. That's the problem, those who lead the army are more interested in this career structure than in providing an effective military force. I'm not sure how you get an actual armoured force without armour: Oh sorry I forgot about Ajax.

If Russia was to push out past the USSR borders?
So Hitler could have had Poland as it was mostly within Germany's 1918 borders, well except the bit that the USSR took, but that was Russian in 1918 as well so it was all OK.

You have never

He is the Chief of Staff. Yes readiness is deterrence these days. We have 58 BCT’s the more that are ready to fight now, the better chance a fight can be avoided.
The first part of that doesn’t make sense.

The US has always had overwhelming force over adversaries they have fought - hasn’t really deterred the kinds of wars they have ended up fighting. Russia and China don’t seem that frightened either

The US has always had overwhelming force over adversaries they have fought - hasn’t really deterred the kinds of wars they have ended up fighting. Russia and China don’t seem that frightened either

Yes I know it does not make sense. It was a partial post that I thought was deleted my bad. I was going to say you have never gotten the never ending supply of skittles.......in the MRE’s.

Russia and China are to used to the kinder gentler USA.

Are you or were you signals? West Country?
Best go back to doing what you know best, MilInt is, obviously, a struggle too far.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well it would have more people and more VSOs so from a career prospect of course it's better for those with careers. That's the problem, those who lead the army are more interested in this career structure than in providing an effective military force. I'm not sure how you get an actual armoured force without armour: Oh sorry I forgot about Ajax.
Yes, I meant fixing it so that a) it actually recruits and retains people, b) it provides the right kind of people for the right kind of jobs, and c) as much as possible reduces the careerism you mention.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Milley: Readiness Wins, Deters Wars

I think the man knows what he is talking about...I think Western countries esp Europe will never have the National will to endure a long mobilization. I also think your still stuck in a Coin mindset.
Please explain how finding a NATO substitute is going to improve rather than distract from our collective readiness. Yes, the guy knows what he is talking about. I'm not sure you do.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does he? Or is he someone with an interest increasing spending on readiness and the military?
Yes, of course he is, he's a national COS. That's like asking if he pisses with his cock or eats food, as you well know and point out above. But he also knows what he is talking about imo. The stuff I've read from him makes a lot more sense than the bluff that usually comes out of UK VSOs, who also, presumably, piss with their cocks.

Although I'm not sure about Carter. I've always got the impression that he pisses with someone else's cock.

Last edited: