May I dis the deadlift?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gobbyidiot, Nov 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't do that much strength training, and I've stopped blatting my legs because it really affects the aerobic stuff. But I thought I'd give deadlifting another go on Sunday. I can't squat free weights because for my height I've got a thigh which is ridiculously long, but I thought deadlifts might be an alternative.

So, having done no strength training on the legs for ages, but loads of hard aerobic intervals, I could deadlift nearly twice my bodyweight and it still didn't feel as if it was really hitting my legs. With chalk or some straps I reckon I could have lifted a lot more. I felt that it could damage my back, and afterwards I realised I'd done something to my ankle, so basically a bit of a disaster.

I reckon with long legs it is an awkward lift - you have to bend too far forward to clear your knees, which is where all the pressure on the ankle came from. The frame that you stand inside, rather than a bar, is the kit for long-legs, but we've got the one with the ridiculously wide handles for shrugs, rather than the narrow handles for deadlifting. Lift a lot of weight and it feels as if your traps are being ripped apart.

Leg pressing from now on for me, I think. If I deadlifted enough to cause absolute failure in my legs in eight reps I'd be lifting a weight (and lifting it in a manner) which would pretty much guarantee injury. I suspect that's true for a lot of people. You see loads of blokes absolutely failing on benching and curls, but people stop a set of deadlifting and you think, "For a million quid you could do ten more, easy".

2. Firstly the deadlift is an exercise for the posterior chain (your arse, glutes and hamstrings). Whist deadlift variants can target different muscle groups more, it won't be a exercise you could use to replace the squat (muscle imbalances would occur).

Secondly have you been medically signed off not to squat? Have you tried and if so was it painful or did you attempt to squat and your technique was bad and you couldn't lift much? Did you lean forwards or backwards and did you sit back into it.
    A lot of people can't squat and end up deadlifting because they just pick the weight upf the ground without any technique, which is how injuries occur (they load it up too much, body can't take the stress and the weak link gives out).

I personally don't know what you are refering to with a frame that you stand inside to deadlift. I assume your not talking about a smith machine.
    Narrow handles for deadlifting also confused me.

The idea with heavy lifting exercises is to develop the technique and allow your body to develop the tendon strength to come with higher loads. A good technique with a lot of exercises prevents injury. As my old man used to say, a good workman never blames his tools.

On a side note- the leg press develops a unnatural range of motion which can result in lower back injuries

3. Technique over everything, don't even bother stacking weight onto squats or deadlifts without technique. The strain on the lower back with poor form can get pretty ridiculous.

Anyway yea i have some of the same issues, deadlift i have long legs and shorter arms so can be difficult to get around that sometimes. generally i just take a slightly wider stance and i get away with it. Though have to admit i've torn the skin of my shins sometimes......flesh wounds over permanent back injury :).

4. Very few people genuinely have body proportions that rule out squatting and deadlifting. Usually the problems are a lack of core stability, and lack of flexibility in the hips, which leads to bad form. If you don't have flexible enough hamstrings, glutes, adductors then you won't be able to sit back into the lift enough and will be putting too much stress on to your knees, lower back and ankles.

As stated above, get the form first and then rack up the weight. Any idiot can badly lift a lot of weight on a deadlift until they do themselves an injury (i did!)

5. ^Yea agreed, i can move 180-190kg at my bodyweight (85kg).......i can not do it well haha. With decent form i have to say i'm still stuck down at 140kg, and that's where i will stay because i need my back.

Point being you can do it for a show and terribly and gain no benefit.....or do it for self improvment really.

6. If you dead lift right you can feel it where it needs to be. I find if you sit back into your heels a bit more you really get it where it needs to. Same with squatting. Try DB squats (one in each hand) or barbell (front) rather than back. I have long legs and don't have an issue. I'm 5'7" and have a 32"+ inside leg! Again with squats you need to keep the weight back to work the right muscles. Do you do parallel or ATG squats? As everyone else has said - technique is where it's at - anyone can deadlift a decent weight badly.

7. This is the frame you stand inside - or something like it. It gets the bar away from your shins, but you need narrow handles for deadlifting.

http://www.squidoo.com/trapbartraining

What feels a lot better is putting the bar behind me and grabbing it, lifting it to my backside. It'll take some practise to use decent weights, but it feels a lot more natural, and it feels as if I'm pushing through my heels rather than being forced to bend forward.

8. What you're doing is a deadlift variant. You won't because of the motion and ROM be able to lift a decent amount and it still won't work the same muscles as the squat.

I have seen those bars before, but never seen anyone deadlift or squat with them before.
    The bending forwards and backwards issue is what you feel comfortable with, not what is good for your body.

If you have a real issue with scraping your shins with the bar (which I don't see a issue with to be honest, bloody shins are part of it, but a extra layer of trouser/jogging bottoms might help you, nerve sensitivity in the shins decreases quite quickly), look up the sumo deadlift.

Also for a variant, look up zercher deadlifts and squats.

9. I've been thinking - a lot of people prefer free weights because you have to learn balance and control. That really applies on benching and squatting. Deadlifting, and any form of pulling, doesn't really have the same requirement. I wonder if anyone would deliberately deadlift a bar that wasn't bottom dead centre, so that it began to move laterally when it left the ground, or have someone push the end of the bar during the lift. If balance and control are so important, why not? Just musing.......

10. no because that would be feckign stupid and you would very quickly be seeing a surgen!!!

but what you can do witha lighter deadlift, is the dead lift walk,

do a normal deadlift at about 70/80% of your max and take a few steps forward put the bar down! then turn around and do the same to the starting point!

11. Good old testosterone nation haha. Cheers for the videos, knowledge is power.

12. Hack Squat sounds like what you are describing.

13. This is the variant that feels comfortable to me, but I haven't tried a decent weight yet

http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/HACK.htm