Maximum commitment?

Hello,

I have a question, any help would be appreciated. Can you do more than one night a week in the reserve if you want? How much do you earn for a typical weeknight training session for new recruit say? I guess what I want to ask is if your day job isn't great due to covid, and you have plenty of spare time, how much can you potentially make in a year? I'm not joining only for the money, I know the reserve is about more than that, but I've been under a lot of financial pressure lately and this info would be very good to know. I know the website says £50 per day, is that an 8 hour day, or is that for a training night?

Thank you,

That’s £50 a day, a training night is a quarter of that. So less than £15.

There are very few units that run more than one training night a week.

I’ll be brutally honest. You would be misguided to join the reserves for the money. There are many easier ways to make some cash, and plenty of ways to make more cash. When you do the sums, even with a few promotions under your belt it will work out barely more than minimum wage.

You will rack up a fair bit of time on initial training but your opportunities to do a load of extra days are limited until you complete phase 2.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The money is shite even after you hit top whack for bounty after year 4.

Once you factor in a few piss ups, the annual ski trip and a few bits of Gucci kit that you’ll want to buy to supplement your gear, you probably won’t even break even.

For your first few years you’re looking at about 12 quid per training night (which you’ll be taxed on). You’ll probably spend that in the bar afterwards.

Take home after a 2 week annual camp is about 5-600 quid.

It really isn’t about the money.

Ok, thank you for both your inputs. I have some more questions if that's OK. I had a phone call saying they are sending me down the officer application route, which is great but I wanted to join the Royal Engineers and get training as a plasterer, that was one of the things that attracted me to the reserve in the first place, a chance to gain usefull civilian trade experience. Can you still be an officer and gain training in a trade such as plastering.

Not sure if I was supposed to start new thread..

Thank you,

Ok, thank you for both your inputs. I have some more questions if that's OK. I had a phone call saying they are sending me down the officer application route, which is great but I wanted to join the Royal Engineers and get training as a plasterer, that was one of the things that attracted me to the reserve in the first place, a chance to gain usefull civilian trade experience. Can you still be an officer and gain training in a trade such as plastering.

Not sure if I was supposed to start new thread..

Thank you,

Not in the Army.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If the option is there to go officer, then go officer. You won’t learn a trade as such but you’ll learn management and leadership skills that will put you in a much better position outside.

And you get paid more.

Latest Threads