Max and the Falklands

I was the first Signals tech that moved into the AT&T Comms dish at Stanley just before the Argies surrendered and this mad tall man in a beaten up barbour put a pistol to my head and kept shouting at me " First copy, First copy"!! I said take all that stuff and send it by Marisat or find a 30 Sigs sat det, this ain't working yet.

Fascinating, I thought the AT&T satlink was set up after the surrender. Seems silly that BBC and ITN were relying on HF radio Ham info for news when a brand spanking telephone link was present.

No, i'm more the man to have brought in a good settee, and thought "this could be fun".

Fascinating, I thought the AT&T satlink was set up after the surrender. Seems silly that BBC and ITN were relying on HF radio Ham info for news when a brand spanking telephone link was present.
Im quite happy to test the fact that the bullets holes were important to the site manager in 86. Go for it.

Joke, old soldiers

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
AT&T??????? Cable and Wireless set up there Dish in December 1982, so he was about 5 months late getting his copy out

AT&T??????? Cable and Wireless set up there Dish in December 1982, so he was about 5 months late getting his copy out
You see. That's the beauty of ARRSE. Quite often, someone actually has been there and starred in the film.

If some journo put a pistol to my head to ensure his 'copy' got out first, the moment it was lowered he would have to start working out how to type up his subsequent 'copy' with a full set of broken digits, and how much his lack of teeth would affect talking into his dictaphone!

I suppose the pictures of the Argie marines landing at Stanley and the noted lack of a sat dish in the backround could somewhat bring my comments into dis-repute. But I was down there in 86 looking after DCN 0060 and 0061 amongst other things.

I suppose the pictures of the Argie marines landing at Stanley and the noted lack of a sat dish in the backround could somewhat bring my comments into dis-repute. But I was down there in 86 looking after DCN 0060 and 0061 amongst other things.
But was the rest of your first post true?

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you remember the big contractor that looked like a cross between Bigfoot and Chewbakker who was always trying to start a fight in the Gull and Penguin on a Saturday night

But was the rest of your first post true?
The percieved wisdom is that Max Hastings took all the other newspaper reporters "copy" ref the Argie surrender and went out to transmit them by Marisat, but "unfortunatly" there was only time to transmit his and thus make a scoop for his paper, the others had to wait till later as the Navy had important comms that used up all the rest of the traffic time for ages.

Do you remember the big contractor that looked like a cross between Bigfoot and Chewbakker who was always trying to start a fight in the Gull and Penguin on a Saturday night
Sorry no, I was there when the Death Star was empty and was getting it ready for the swing from BFFI. The only bar I knew was the NAAFI one that closed immediatly if someone so much as sneezed agressively, didn't get to Stanley socially for 3 months.

jim24

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry no, I was there when the Death Star was empty and was getting it ready for the swing from BFFI. The only bar I knew was the NAAFI one that closed immediatly if someone so much as sneezed agressively, didn't get to Stanley socially for 3 months.
The Gull and Penguin is in MPA and I built the f@cking road to Stanley, and drove the first bus ever to go there only problem was one of the blokes got very pissed in the Globe , fell asleep, in the back of the bus and froze to death because we didnt notice he was there until the next morning

C

cloudbuster

..........................I built the f@cking road to Stanley,
What, all of it?

Then I must offer you my thanks, as I took a folding pushbike on tour and must be the first person to cycle bits of it from the Stanley end. In those days it was known as the Murray Heights Bypass.