Max and the Falklands

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by mad_mick, Mar 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was the first Signals tech that moved into the AT&T Comms dish at Stanley just before the Argies surrendered and this mad tall man in a beaten up barbour put a pistol to my head and kept shouting at me " First copy, First copy"!! I said take all that stuff and send it by Marisat or find a 30 Sigs sat det, this ain't working yet.

2. Is this the Scaley alternative of being the second man on the balcony?

3. Fascinating, I thought the AT&T satlink was set up after the surrender. Seems silly that BBC and ITN were relying on HF radio Ham info for news when a brand spanking telephone link was present.

4. No, i'm more the man to have brought in a good settee, and thought "this could be fun".

5. Im quite happy to test the fact that the bullets holes were important to the site manager in 86. Go for it.

6. Joke, old soldiers

7. No, quite happy with the many covert assaults that I have not being publicised.

8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

AT&T??????? Cable and Wireless set up there Dish in December 1982, so he was about 5 months late getting his copy out

9. You see. That's the beauty of ARRSE. Quite often, someone actually has been there and starred in the film.

• Like Like x 2
  10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Although I have been to the FI , I got that info from Ian Strange the FIs official Historian,

And I have visited said Satellite dish

Attached Files:

11. If some journo put a pistol to my head to ensure his 'copy' got out first, the moment it was lowered he would have to start working out how to type up his subsequent 'copy' with a full set of broken digits, and how much his lack of teeth would affect talking into his dictaphone!

12. I suppose the pictures of the Argie marines landing at Stanley and the noted lack of a sat dish in the backround could somewhat bring my comments into dis-repute. But I was down there in 86 looking after DCN 0060 and 0061 amongst other things.

13. But was the rest of your first post true?

14. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Do you remember the big contractor that looked like a cross between Bigfoot and Chewbakker who was always trying to start a fight in the Gull and Penguin on a Saturday night

15. The percieved wisdom is that Max Hastings took all the other newspaper reporters "copy" ref the Argie surrender and went out to transmit them by Marisat, but "unfortunatly" there was only time to transmit his and thus make a scoop for his paper, the others had to wait till later as the Navy had important comms that used up all the rest of the traffic time for ages.