• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Max age group for TA

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Depends on many, many factors, such as:
- Have you previous experience (Reg or TA)?
- What trade/Cap Badge are you going for?
- What trade/professional qualifications do you have (and intend to use - e.g. if they allow you to join at 80 as gynocologist, it's not going to help you get into the Infantry....)

For Officers:

10. Age Limits.
a. The minimum age for appointment to a commission is 18 years.
b. The maximum age for appointment is 56 years.
c. Upper Age Limits. Officers will normally be retired or required to resign on reaching the following ages: (1) Officers (other than those appointed as Supernumerary Officers (Shooting)). 65 years. (2) Supernumerary Officers (Shooting). 70 years.

For Soldiers:

3. Normal Retirement Age. The normal retirement age (NRA) for all ranks is 55 years; soldiers being discharged on the day before their 55th birthday. This allows the completion of an initial 12 year engagement for those enlisting just before their 43rd birthday. Different retirement ages for soldiers in specific employments are shown at paras 9 - 15.

TA Regs Annex C to Chapter 5 refers.

msr

TA_RAMBO said:
Did no one read the joining conditons?, specifically the age requirement bit?

17 - 55
Must have changed; I thought it was 17 - 34, up to 43 with previous Military experiance(with a few obvious exceptions).

msr said:
For Officers:

10. Age Limits.
c. Upper Age Limits. Officers will normally be retired or required to resign on reaching the following ages: (1) Officers (other than those appointed as Supernumerary Officers (Shooting)). 65 years. (2) Supernumerary Officers (Shooting). 70 years.

Er no!

Minimum age is 18. Maximum age for appointment as DE officers is 35. With previous Reg or TA commissioned service, it can be up to 57th birthday, at the discretion of the A&SD.

Compulsory retirement age is 60 for all officers.

And in reality these days, it is only if you manage to have an unbroken run of TA postings; if there is a gap in your TA postings, you will get stuck on the unposted list and the gap is longer than 2 years, then you go into the oblivion of RARO.

MemSec said:
Compulsory retirement age is 60 for all officers.
General Sir Michael Walker and General Sir Michael Jackson were both over 60 when they retired - although a quick poke around Wikipedia suggests most of the senior staff are only about 50. (No birthdates, but comissioning dates in the late 1970s) Possibly one can get special dispensation to stay on past 60?

TA Regs to the rescue:

Honorary Colonels 4.143.

f. Honorary colonels, and the Colonels Commandant Yeomanry and Honourable Artillery Company, are thus normally to vacate their appointments on attaining the age of 65 years. Annual extension beyond that age may, however, be granted by the Ministry of Defence, in exceptional circumstances, up to the maximum age of 70 years.

Officers (ANNEX K TO CHAPTER 4)

Age Limits.
c. Upper Age Limits. Officers will normally be retired or required to resign on reaching the following ages:
(1) Officers (other than those appointed as Supernumerary Officers (Shooting)). 65 years.
(2) Supernumerary Officers (Shooting). 70 years.

uk_numpty said:
Whats the max age limit for serving in the TA, either for an Officer or NCO?
MSR

Not much of a rescue.

Para 1 of Annex K to Chapter 4 to Amendment 33 of TA Regs reads:

General

1. This section contains the special terms of service applicable to officers appointed to commissions for service with Army Sections of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF).

The query was for TA ages as an officer or NCO. And I would hardly class Hon Cols as mainstream TA........

When in doubt, read the question!

And looktowindward, Generals Walker and Jackson might be heartily offended if you were applying TA Regulations to their Regular Army TACOS.... :D

MemSec said:

And in reality these days, it is only if you manage to have an unbroken run of TA postings; if there is a gap in your TA postings, you will get stuck on the unposted list and the gap is longer than 2 years, then you go into the oblivion of RARO.
Interesting. After 2 years on the Unposted list I was told to join a Unit or resign my commission. I wrote to APC Glasgow asking for all the options available such as joining a Watchkeeper Pool and was told it was not APC's job to offer advice & that I should ask my Unit.

I then received (dated the day after the first letter) a letter telling me I had been resigned, with no mention of RARO...

If/when I go on the UPL B and fail to get another job for 2 years, I will apply to go onto RARO rather than be discharged or involuntarily retired. That at least still allows one to carry on applying to boards. A friend of mine even got an op tour while on RARO, which enhanced their profile and gave them the legs to be selected for another TA post once they got back, so it can be done.

As for the "advice" from Glasgow, we are all aware that TA career management sadly really isn't at the right standard, but MS Reserves are not resourced to do the same for TA officers as is done for regulars. Did you ask for/get an FCR?

Times are tough - I know of 4 TA half colonel watchkeepers who have had to revert to major to stay in for another posting.

A slight paraphrase - "the number of pips/crowns can go down as well as up". :)

MemSec said:
Times are tough - I know of 4 TA half colonel watchkeepers who have had to revert to major to stay in for another posting.
Not for those that have just picked up Maj, with the collapse in Offr numbers, they could well be sub-unit commanders for a very long time...

msr

MemSec said:
If/when I go on the UPL B and fail to get another job for 2 years, I will apply to go onto RARO rather than be discharged or involuntarily retired. That at least still allows one to carry on applying to boards. A friend of mine even got an op tour while on RARO, which enhanced their profile and gave them the legs to be selected for another TA post once they got back, so it can be done.
It wasn't a practical time for me to become active again as I'd been working in Central America for six months, then all over the shop in the UK.

MemSec said:
As for the "advice" from Glasgow, we are all aware that TA career management sadly really isn't at the right standard, but MS Reserves are not resourced to do the same for TA officers as is done for regulars. Did you ask for/get an FCR?
No advice offered at all beyond "talk to your Unit", even though I didn't have one. As I said, the letter fecking me off at the high port & the letter telling me I had been resigned were dated a day apart.

MemSec said:

A slight paraphrase - "the number of pips/crowns can go down as well as up". :)
I was only a humble Captain, albeit course qualified for promotion to Major. Still, it's the TA's loss & I now have my weekends & free time back to spend with Mrs Plume & the Munchkin.

Latest Threads