maverick mayor

#1
Apologies if repeating.

Does every Town in England need a Chief like this, or is it too good to be true?

A maverick mayor elected after promising to slash council spending, clear the streets of yobs and ditch politically correct services is the torchbearer for how towns should be run.

On his first morning as Mayor of Doncaster in South Yorkshire , Peter Davies cut his salary from £73,000 to £30,000 then closed the council’s newspaper for "peddling politics on the rates".

Now three weeks into his job, Mr Davies is pressing ahead with plans he hopes will see the number of town councillors cut from 63 to just 21, saving taxpayers £800,000.

Mr Davies said: "If 100 senators can run the United States of America , I can’t see how 63 councillors are needed to run Doncaster ".

He has withdrawn Doncaster from the Local Government Association and the Local Government Information Unit, saving another £200,000. Mr Davies said, "They are just talking shops".

" Doncaster is in for some serious untwining. We are twinned with probably nine other cities around the world and they are just for people to fly off and have a binge at the council’s expense".

The mayor’s chauffeur-driven car has also been axed by Mr Davies and the driver given another job. Mr Davies, born and bred in Doncaster, swept to power in the May election with 24,244 votes as a candidate for the English Democrats, a party that wants tight immigration curbs, an English Parliament and a law forcing every public building to fly the flag of St. George.

He has promised to end council funding for Doncaster ’s International Women’s Day, Black History Month and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender History Month.

He said, "Politicians have got completely out of touch with what people want.

"We need to cut costs. I want to pass on some savings I make in reduced taxes and use the rest for things we really need, like improved children’s services".

Mr Davies has received messages from well wishers across the country and abroad as news of his no-nonsense approach spreads.

====================
There is a problem though?
could it be something to do in this report and he acted accordingly to save his ars?

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/free/Staff-were-overpaid-by-700000.5508607.jp

A bit like the expenses row, oh but we will pay back, only because they/he was caught out?
Is there anyone from Doncaster that would be able to shed more light on this?
 
#2
That man should NOT be a Town Mayor....

He should be PM :D

True2Blue said:
Now three weeks into his job, Mr Davies is pressing ahead with plans he hopes will see the number of town councillors cut from 63 to just 21, saving taxpayers £800,000.

......

There is a problem though?
could it be something to do in this report and he acted accordingly to save his ars?

www.doncasterfreepress...5508607.jp

A bit like the expenses row, oh but we will pay back, only because they/he was caught out?
Is there anyone from Doncaster that would be able to shed more light on this?
If he has only been in for 3 weeks, then I doubt it is his fault... although as current Mayor he is "responsible".
 
#3
Well thats him branded as a racist then.
 
#5
Rearguard action has already taken place:

The new mayor of Doncaster has backed down on his promise to cut funding for the town's annual Pride festival.

Peter Davies, an English Democrat, had vowed to cut spending on the event, saying: "I don't think councils should be spending money on them [gays and lesbians] parading through town advertising their sexuality."

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-12819.html


THE new Mayor has been forced to backtrack on an election pledge to dump Doncaster's planned Civic and Cultural Quarter scheme after finding it would cost the town too much to axe the project.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/doncaster/Mayor39s-Uturn-over-culturequarter-plan.5417226.jp
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#7
I had to check the date! It's NOT April 1st!

This is NOT a Wah?!?!?

Holy sh!t!

The English Democracts folks - watch that space! :D I feel there's a new party in town, and if it continues like this bloke has started, they'll take the whole country!
 
#8
Biped said:
I had to check the date! It's NOT April 1st!

This is NOT a Wah?!?!?

Holy sh!t!

The English Democracts folks - watch that space! :D I feel there's a new party in town, and if it continues like this bloke has started, they'll take the whole country!
Not if you check out PE4's link....
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#9
Try this link instead:

The English Democrats Party

Alright, he got a bit of a drubbing on the news. The truth is, he said a bunch of stuff in his election manifesto, and the VOTERS agreed with it, and they voted him in to get it done.

Now, he's finding out now that the EU (as we all know) is tying his hands, because IT decides our laws, and the traitors in parliament draft them accordingly.

His manifesto pledge should be honoured, but he and his party need to take the whole country for it to happen - they've got to get us out of the EU, they've got to get rid of this cretinous attack on free speech and they've got to truly represent the majority of this country, UNLIKE the other parties.

If these guys stick to their guns, and they get the publicity they need, I can see them romping to victory in many, many councils in England.

Let's see what they can do when THEY draft or redraft the laws of this country to better serve its people.
 
#10
Excellent responses and links lads, and I go along with you CF, he should be PM.
Can’t do any worse hey?
Having said that, I don’t believe he will get anywhere near the PM’s job, our outdated in ground institution will not allow. IMO.
 
#11
that ft link is totally misrepresenting the situation.

the guy has just started, he can be forgiven if he doesn't know every figure and every position in the council

Also, at least he is not doing the 'professional politician' double speak. I want a new generation of politicians who are willing (as he is) to say, "I don't know, but i will look into it", instead of coming out with some disingenous crap.

good luck to him, he has a lot of political inertia to fight against.
 
#12
SkiCarver said:
that ft link is totally misrepresenting the situation.

the guy has just started, he can be forgiven if he doesn't know every figure and every position in the council

Also, at least he is not doing the 'professional politician' double speak. I want a new generation of politicians who are willing (as he is) to say, "I don't know, but i will look into it", instead of coming out with some disingenous crap.

good luck to him, he has a lot of political inertia to fight against.
Yes, I am with you on this as well. It does seem like he means well.
He will find it very hard though and will probably just get frustrated and give up, like most of them have.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#13
Get a load of this: Their Manifesto

The guiding principals of the party:

1.3.1 The state should serve the collective interests of its citizens.

1.3.2 We wish to see a modern and wide‐ranging Bill of Rights founded on traditional English civil liberties.

1.3.3 The English Democrats seek a far ranging freedom of access to information.

1.3.4 Wherever reasonably practicable, public appointments should be chosen by direct election.

1.3.5 Power should be devolved, as and when practical, within all spheres of government and service provision, including, for example, the education and health services.

1.3.6 Devolution within England should be through the existing system of local government, subject to modifications that are necessary to meet the needs of a workable and efficient democratic system.

1.3.7 The aim should be to enable local people to identify with Local Authorities. We must reverse the trend towards remote and unaccountable decision‐making.

1.3.8 We favour ‐ recognition for traditional counties, which would include the reunification of Yorkshire.

1.3.9 We favour the use of referenda in local government with a view to using referenda in other tiers of government if the experiment proves successful. A system similar to that used in Switzerland should be the model. This would enable citizens to petition for a referendum on certain policy issues.

Biped said:
I've been saying this for a month, and I'd not even heard of these guys!
Proposed changes to the constitution should be referred to the electorate in referenda. The results should be binding. There could be a role here for the Second Chamber as guardian of the constitution.

Rules are needed for the timing and funding of referenda with the aim of making them as fair as possible to all parties involved.

1.4Liberty - the list goes on!
 
#14
From small acorns, great oaks can grow, my vote goes to the English Democrats.
 
#15
The_Coming_Man said:
From small acorns, great oaks can grow, my vote goes to the English Democrats.
The time is almost ripe, I am now being swayed toward them.
One of the only ways to put Great in front of Britain again.
If only; :D

Why is it, that in England we do not have our own parliament and Wales and Scotland do?
 
#16
True2Blue said:
The_Coming_Man said:
From small acorns, great oaks can grow, my vote goes to the English Democrats.
The time is almost ripe, I am now being swayed toward them.
One of the only ways to put Great in front of Britain again.
If only; :D
If the English Democrats do become an electoral threat, watch out for any members being drummed out of the Police and Fire Service etc.. then the press will turn on them with smears and so on..

The Project is adept at defending itself.
 
#17
The_Coming_Man said:
True2Blue said:
The_Coming_Man said:
From small acorns, great oaks can grow, my vote goes to the English Democrats.
The time is almost ripe, I am now being swayed toward them.
One of the only ways to put Great in front of Britain again.
If only; :D
If the English Democrats do become an electoral threat, watch out for any members being drummed out of the Police and Fire Service etc.. then the press will turn on them with smears and so on..

The Project is adept at defending itself.
It will be "racist" or "bigoted" or "Not PC" or a load of other crap that these commies/socialists use.
 
#18
SkiCarver said:
that ft link is totally misrepresenting the situation.

the guy has just started, he can be forgiven if he doesn't know every figure and every position in the council

Also, at least he is not doing the 'professional politician' double speak. I want a new generation of politicians who are willing (as he is) to say, "I don't know, but i will look into it", instead of coming out with some disingenous crap.

good luck to him, he has a lot of political inertia to fight against.
Oh, I don't disagree, but I found it and it appears to balance the thrust of the OPs(unattributed) post, so I thought it worthy of note.

The organisation smacks of a common-sense approach and if it gets anywhere it is, IMHO, to be applauded. As has oft been said in here, a troop of LSD injected Baboons could hardly do worse that any one of the present parties.
 
#20
All_I_Want said:
The_Coming_Man said:
True2Blue said:
The_Coming_Man said:
From small acorns, great oaks can grow, my vote goes to the English Democrats.
The time is almost ripe, I am now being swayed toward them.
One of the only ways to put Great in front of Britain again.
If only; :D
If the English Democrats do become an electoral threat, watch out for any members being drummed out of the Police and Fire Service etc.. then the press will turn on them with smears and so on..

The Project is adept at defending itself.
It will be "racist" or "bigoted" or "Not PC" or a load of other crap that these commies/socialists use.
I didn't want to deviate from thread, but had to answer, because I feel strongly against the PC Brigade as my father did many years ago.

The PC Brigade, (or do gooders as we knew them from years ago).
Some can’t even grasp that they are PC.
I would expect from reading some views on other threads, (not many mind) that some sort of indoctrination to the hilt by their PC ideology training who are afraid to upset their political masters, we see it every day and over the years from our weak government in the way it has handled, or should I say not handled, immigration, border controls, Justice, Health and Safety, and the abysmal saga of the Human Rights act, and many others too many to mention.

They are the sort of persons the "radical’s” are looking for, to further their aims.
Person afraid of their own shadow’s who can be easily led to slaughter.
The problem is, there are too many like them.
Then again maybe they have already had their Balls cut off.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets 13
Auld-Yin Competitions 6
crabtastic Multinational HQ 5

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads