maverick mayor

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by True2Blue, Aug 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if repeating.

Does every Town in England need a Chief like this, or is it too good to be true?

A maverick mayor elected after promising to slash council spending, clear the streets of yobs and ditch politically correct services is the torchbearer for how towns should be run.

On his first morning as Mayor of Doncaster in South Yorkshire , Peter Davies cut his salary from £73,000 to £30,000 then closed the council’s newspaper for "peddling politics on the rates".

Now three weeks into his job, Mr Davies is pressing ahead with plans he hopes will see the number of town councillors cut from 63 to just 21, saving taxpayers £800,000.

Mr Davies said: "If 100 senators can run the United States of America , I can’t see how 63 councillors are needed to run Doncaster ".

He has withdrawn Doncaster from the Local Government Association and the Local Government Information Unit, saving another £200,000. Mr Davies said, "They are just talking shops".

" Doncaster is in for some serious untwining. We are twinned with probably nine other cities around the world and they are just for people to fly off and have a binge at the council’s expense".

The mayor’s chauffeur-driven car has also been axed by Mr Davies and the driver given another job. Mr Davies, born and bred in Doncaster, swept to power in the May election with 24,244 votes as a candidate for the English Democrats, a party that wants tight immigration curbs, an English Parliament and a law forcing every public building to fly the flag of St. George.

He has promised to end council funding for Doncaster ’s International Women’s Day, Black History Month and the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender History Month.

He said, "Politicians have got completely out of touch with what people want.

"We need to cut costs. I want to pass on some savings I make in reduced taxes and use the rest for things we really need, like improved children’s services".

Mr Davies has received messages from well wishers across the country and abroad as news of his no-nonsense approach spreads.

====================
    There is a problem though?
    could it be something to do in this report and he acted accordingly to save his ars?

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/free/Staff-were-overpaid-by-700000.5508607.jp

A bit like the expenses row, oh but we will pay back, only because they/he was caught out?
    Is there anyone from Doncaster that would be able to shed more light on this?

2. That man should NOT be a Town Mayor....

He should be PM :D

If he has only been in for 3 weeks, then I doubt it is his fault... although as current Mayor he is "responsible".

3. Well thats him branded as a racist then.

4. Seconded :D

5. Rearguard action has already taken place:

The new mayor of Doncaster has backed down on his promise to cut funding for the town's annual Pride festival.

Peter Davies, an English Democrat, had vowed to cut spending on the event, saying: "I don't think councils should be spending money on them [gays and lesbians] parading through town advertising their sexuality."

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-12819.html

THE new Mayor has been forced to backtrack on an election pledge to dump Doncaster's planned Civic and Cultural Quarter scheme after finding it would cost the town too much to axe the project.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/doncaster/Mayor39s-Uturn-over-culturequarter-plan.5417226.jp

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I had to check the date! It's NOT April 1st!

This is NOT a Wah?!?!?

Holy sh!t!

The English Democracts folks - watch that space! :D I feel there's a new party in town, and if it continues like this bloke has started, they'll take the whole country!

7. Not if you check out PE4's link....

8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Try this link instead:

The English Democrats Party

Alright, he got a bit of a drubbing on the news. The truth is, he said a bunch of stuff in his election manifesto, and the VOTERS agreed with it, and they voted him in to get it done.

Now, he's finding out now that the EU (as we all know) is tying his hands, because IT decides our laws, and the traitors in parliament draft them accordingly.

His manifesto pledge should be honoured, but he and his party need to take the whole country for it to happen - they've got to get us out of the EU, they've got to get rid of this cretinous attack on free speech and they've got to truly represent the majority of this country, UNLIKE the other parties.

If these guys stick to their guns, and they get the publicity they need, I can see them romping to victory in many, many councils in England.

Let's see what they can do when THEY draft or redraft the laws of this country to better serve its people.

9. Excellent responses and links lads, and I go along with you CF, he should be PM.
    Can’t do any worse hey?
    Having said that, I don’t believe he will get anywhere near the PM’s job, our outdated in ground institution will not allow. IMO.

10. that ft link is totally misrepresenting the situation.

the guy has just started, he can be forgiven if he doesn't know every figure and every position in the council

Also, at least he is not doing the 'professional politician' double speak. I want a new generation of politicians who are willing (as he is) to say, "I don't know, but i will look into it", instead of coming out with some disingenous crap.

good luck to him, he has a lot of political inertia to fight against.

11. Yes, I am with you on this as well. It does seem like he means well.
    He will find it very hard though and will probably just get frustrated and give up, like most of them have.

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Get a load of this: Their Manifesto

The guiding principals of the party:

13. From small acorns, great oaks can grow, my vote goes to the English Democrats.

14. The time is almost ripe, I am now being swayed toward them.
    One of the only ways to put Great in front of Britain again.
    If only; :D

Why is it, that in England we do not have our own parliament and Wales and Scotland do?