Mauser

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Porridge_gun, Jan 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Just got me a 1916 Mauser (Danzig) stunning condition and shoots perfectly.

I hadn't realised how un-user friendly they were, and in comparison the Lee Enfields are far more reliable and easier to use.

Only five in the mag and you can't single feed, you have to load the mag with a round then ease the bolt forward picking up a round from the mag.

Much as I like it, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the Bosch who's lives depended on the function and speed in the use of their rifles.

And you know you've been shooting the fcuker, its harsher than the No 5.

Anyone else got one?

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have a 1915 Carl Gustav version (the better one :wink: )

3. I've got a 1938 Kar98 which has been rechambered to 7.62x51. It's a great rifle! Admittedly it's not as quick to load and operate as the Lee-Enfield, but even so it's accurate and dependable.

4. I had a 1907 Amberg for a while.

Nicely made rifles, and good shooters - but dreadful slow bolt action and poor ergonomics for quick shooting. In WW1/2 films you see the German soldiers lifting their head right away from the butt in order to cycle the bolt. Very hard to hold the rifle on target when unlocking the bolt.

When they tested the G98 against the No1 at Hythe, they found that the Lee Enfield bolt action was twice as fast as the Mauser (timed rate of fire including reloads). I reckon that, when ergonomics are taken into account, the No1 is actually about three times as fast per "well-aimed shot". I'd love to see a Mauser aficionado attempt the Mad Minute....

5. squeekingsapper

squeekingsapper LE Reviewer

Tried one years ago (K I think, not a G) and never got on with the bolt position, as I felt that I had to take it right out of the shoulder to work the bolt.

Better than many such as the Lebel, but give me a Lee Enfield every time.

6. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Couldn't happen, not and be able to compete with a SMLE / No 4

7. How many shots would you expect to get off in a minute with a Lee Enfield? I may have to give it a go with my Mauser when I get some clips.

8. The all-time record to date is 36 scored shots (onto the scoring band of their equivalent of a Fig11) at 300 yds, by one of the Hythe instructors long back. In their version of the Mad Minute, scores of 34-35 were "not uncommon" in the professional Army.

(Its not known how they performed the Mad Minute; I assume they used the "fire trench supported" position, as this is the only way the arms are free enough to achieve the required loading dexterity).

As a modern benchmark, LERA uses a practice where the shooter starts in the "standing alert" position with ten loaded and one made ready. On the appearance of the targets at 200 yds, the shooter drops to prone, and cracks on. Using this practice, the maximum possible seems to be about 25 or 26 - hence my theory that the pros must have used a trench supported position in order to be able to reload fast enough.

9. Hvaing handled both G98, K98K and SMLE's

The G98 has a stupidly akward handle to use, and on the practical level it snagged on all the German rifle mans equipement and webbing, the handle on the K98 solved this, however is so small, stubby and stiff to turn and the forward locking lugs become stupidly stiff after heated rapid fire.

The SMLE was the only winner out of them, where the cock on close action, the rear mounted locking lugs (causing the position of the bolt handle to be above the trigger allowed for exceptionally easy use. I'd say even faster than straight pull rifles such as the Schmidt Rubin K31

10. which is exactly what i'm looking for (and have a space on the FAC for)...but getting harder to find too.! :wink:

11. The K31 can be fast, but as I found out in a comp using a borrowed rifle the empties can go straight up and straight back down into the action. Not good on timed or rapid fire. :(

12. I shoot a Ross M10, which is straight pull.

It is extremely fast and very accurate, with a proper windage sight as issued. The main limitation is the magazine which will only hold 5 rounds. It will however accept chargers and is quick to reload...

As an aside, SubCal used to shoot a .310 cadet at Bisley on mad minute and used to get a pretty good score! Even as a single shot, the .310 martini action is very fast and once you get past 10 rounds the odds start to move in the martini's favour... (would have been even better if he could hit the target.. :roll: )

Just what you want when beating off massed Zulus apparantly... :D