Mauser 88?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Yes_Sir!, Dec 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I found this in my late father inlaws office come garage.

I think its called a Mauser 88 amongst other things.

Is it worth to give it an brush up so to speak, if so what are the best materials to use?

Is it worth out in either state, clean or as is. Or is it good for the bin?

Are there any forums for this kind of rifle etc......

Cheers peeps
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yes if unaltered beyond factory then its worth a few bob and shouldnt be restored by an amateur. Where are you, if over the pond then lots of auction sites and half decent restorers out there. If over here then it may need licensing unless its obsolete IE 11mm Mauser
  3. Infanteriegewehr 1888 made at the Spandau Arsenal in 1890.

The "S" marking indicates that it was modified to fire the 7.9 mm Patrone S which had a pointed bullet rather than the original rounded head version.

Not an obsolete calibre [in British legal terms]
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

A rake of them just went through Holts and made a pretty penny being obselete. I wouldnt clean it as the grime has probably preserved what finish remains. Think about the Bronzes on the antiques road show that are scrap only thanks to cleaning!
    If you are over here and worried there are a few Arrsers with RFD who can store it for you if you are really worried.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Doesn't have a UVF stamp on it does it? Look on the stock. I have seen a couple of them recently at auction and I think they were stamped S.
  6. I am in BFG.

I have found all sorts in his old workplace inc pistols etc. Seems he had a "hobby" behind the mother inlaws back.

There are marks on the front sling holder which signifies what Regt/Bn the rifle is from. These have been stamped out with an X making it hard to read. R R stand out.

What does the "Crown" signify on top of Spandau?

Cheers for the replies so far.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

In Germany it will be an Obsolete calibre, the crown may be an ownership mark as the German army was based upon the Principalities such as Bavaria and Prussia and only came together on mobilisation!
  8. Means it was probably made in the Royal arsenal of the old imperal Germany, Spandau is part of modern Berlin and Berlin was the Capital of the Prussian State. 1880 is only 10 years after the Formation of Germany. Bit like Woolwich arsenal.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. It's also got the charger guide mod & the relief notch in the receiver ring for 8mm IS.

So it's definitely been up-rated and thus NOT OBSOLETE in the UK.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Just found the Bayonet for it too.

So I shouldnt bring it to UK then?
  11. You could send it to an RFD for storage until you sorted out the FAC, It's illegal for you to possess it in the UK without one.
  12. It is an 88/14 modified for Spitzer 7.92mm and stripper clips instead of the original Mannlicher clip which was retained and then ejected out of the bottom of the trigger housing like a Carcano. Minor note is Uncle Adolt carried one as his regiment was a reserve.
  13. Contrary to Uglys post whether the calibre is obsolete or not is irrelevant, it is a licenceable weapon in Germany. The good news is that as it has been inherited (if only after a fashion) there are special regulations regarding getting it licenced. If you wish I could have a quiet word with the local authority for more definite information.
  14. Wasn't it still black powder at this stage.