Mature Students

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by BlotBangRub, Aug 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. deleted.
  2. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

I went to the Uni of Leeds aged 36 to do a MEd and was looked down on by 1 professor in particular, he asked me and another guy (copper) what we were doing there in a discerning way, this guy went to the Uni as a student and hadnt left and had no outlook on life whatsoever, most staff were great though :eek:
  3. I only have 4 years service full time and only 23 So my ability to relate is not that great to your situation, how ever there were a lot of the more mature students on my course and the lectures are pretty understanding.

They would use some of the older ones to use as an example, such as, "X has managed to hand in a excellent assignment that they have put a lot of research into, and they are managing to run a house and look after kids, and you lot live here and have no commitments apart to the bar and still can not get them in on time!". I think they seem to like the maturity that comes with mature students, also being forces then you already have an ingrained sense of discipline and good work ethic.

4. deleted.
  5. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Top tip, whatever happens do whatever needs doing asp and try to clear yourself a quiet room at home to study :D Also anything you hand in for assessment ensure that it is presented well as that goes a long way :D
  6. J_D

J_D LE

Mature Student is counted over the age of 21, you should get a slight discount on the fee's also, you do not need the full A-level qualifications to gain access. As long as you have the relevant work back ground and alot of other cases the HnG's/NVQ's etc or some sort of higher education.

Admissions Tutors will normally make an assessment of your potential and suitability for a course based on an interview, although you may be asked to provide a short piece of written work. They can also give you an idea of the learning support you can expect in the early stages of your studies, there is a national framework for recognition of Access courses.

But you'd already know that lol

Unfortunately Mature students are not given first choice of accomodation but this depends on the university you are attending.
  7. deleted.
  8. J_D

J_D LE

Have you found out if the uni your with will suppliment you funds towards your rent?
  9. I started a university degree at age 44 after 18 years military service followed by 6 years as a stay at home mum (I'm Mrs Fifth Columnist and I don't approve of his avatar!). I did Archaeology and found that there were several mature students doing the course although it was very popular for the young students too.

The mature students tended to stick together, we always sat in the front row of the lecture hall, we asked the questions, and we made copious notes while the back row of young students would spend the hours texting!
    The tutors were all great and very approachable.

However, the seminars were dire in the first year with none of the youngsters ever doing any preliminary reading and few of them willing to speak in the seminar. The second and third years were much more productive, with far fewer students in the lectures, and many of the young students were really excellent.

The first year does not count towards your degree mark. It is a year of finding out what's what - doing essays as you think they should be done and learning from the feedback, ready to be more focused in the second and third years (although you had better check on that, it might have just been my university!)

It is all quite relaxed but in the first term you may find that you have to run around finding things out for yourself - you are not always spoon fed which does come as a bit of a surprise to those who have just left the school system.

Good luck, contrary to public opinion, it is hard work but Graduation Day makes it all worth while!
  10. J_D

J_D LE

Ah that's all the good parts, I'm not to sure with mature but I know students don't pay taxes, however, if they are living with some one who works they need to pay some sort of tax, I suppose that's what you going for then?

Get your student discount card yet :lol:
  11. I started Uni aged 27 about three years after leaving the army. There were about ten mature students out of approx 60 odd starters on my course. I didn't have any trouble with the staff, they are there to help you so its not in their interest to feck you about. Some of the younger students used the get on my thits but for the most part they were good lads.

Not sure what your situation is but for me it was all or nothing, I could'nt afford to waste the opportunity the fact that I was married, skint and lived 20 odd miles away prevented me from getting in to the whole 'student liefstyle' thing, so it was study, revise, coursework, exam, study pretty much solid for three years.

It might sound stupid but I approached it with the same work ethic the forces gives you. I attended all lectures and study periods was allways early, took time to see the lecturers, used the facilities to the max, read around the subject matter etc etc. It was worth it

Looking back now the extra couple of years I had on most of the students and the army background made all the difference.

Good luck
  12. J_D

J_D LE

Course work, if you can keep up good scores on your course work! I can tell you alot more, if your going in for computer science or elec eng, I can point you inthe right direction :wink: But it's an all over thing with the courses, keep in mind your dissertation is the main part, you also have your many exams and your course work, presentations. It all counts to the final score.
  13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Try and do some of the course reading in the holiday preceeding the module/semester. That way if you dose off for 5 mins in a lecture you won't get lost. Let me tell you its easy to do...

Regarding coursework what Anya said, plus maybe (in these days of word processing) have a rough underway a long time before submission date, adding content and thus references as the module proceeds.