Matterhorn - Karl Marlantes

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Mikal, Sep 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stumbled across this fictional Vietnam War gem. It's written by one who was there so it stands up better than some.

The two main threads are about a new 2Lt with his platoon and the battalion/staff perosnalites with their career goals in mind. I found it to be a compulsive read and I found the scale maps at the front really useful. It put into perspective just how short a distance the platoon was covering over sucha long period of time.

If you're stuck for a read I think it's worth the cash.

Edited to add: Oops wrong forum. Can a Mod please move this to teh Book Club? Thanks.
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Been reviewed on Arrse here.

I agree it is a fantastic book and worth the read.
  3. Heard him interviewed a couple of days ago, he's just written a non-fiction book What It Is Like to Go to War.
  4. My copy of ‘Matterhorn’ has not arrived yet. I was motivated to buy a copy after listening to a podcast interview of Marlantes by the ‘Pritzker Military Library’

Linky: Pritzker Military Library | Karl Marlantes

The Pritzker Libraries podcasts are uniformly excellent. They are an excellent resource for those interested in Mil Hist. If you haven’t had a shufty yet, it is well worth a look.

Marlantes has been described elsewhere as a bit of a renaissance man. There is a distinct UK connection with this author as he was a Rhodes Scholar.

It is definitely something I’m looking forward to.

5. Cracking read, it relays the futility of that particular war well.
  6. Thanks downloaded some interesting stuff from the library.