Matterhorn - Karl Marlantes

Stumbled across this fictional Vietnam War gem. It's written by one who was there so it stands up better than some.

The two main threads are about a new 2Lt with his platoon and the battalion/staff perosnalites with their career goals in mind. I found it to be a compulsive read and I found the scale maps at the front really useful. It put into perspective just how short a distance the platoon was covering over sucha long period of time.

If you're stuck for a read I think it's worth the cash.

Edited to add: Oops wrong forum. Can a Mod please move this to teh Book Club? Thanks.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Been reviewed on Arrse here.

I agree it is a fantastic book and worth the read.

My copy of ‘Matterhorn’ has not arrived yet. I was motivated to buy a copy after listening to a podcast interview of Marlantes by the ‘Pritzker Military Library’

Linky: Pritzker Military Library | Karl Marlantes

The Pritzker Libraries podcasts are uniformly excellent. They are an excellent resource for those interested in Mil Hist. If you haven’t had a shufty yet, it is well worth a look.

Marlantes has been described elsewhere as a bit of a renaissance man. There is a distinct UK connection with this author as he was a Rhodes Scholar.

It is definitely something I’m looking forward to.

Mick

My copy of ‘Matterhorn’ has not arrived yet. I was motivated to buy a copy after listening to a podcast interview of Marlantes by the ‘Pritzker Military Library’

Linky: Pritzker Military Library | Karl Marlantes

The Pritzker Libraries podcasts are uniformly excellent. They are an excellent resource for those interested in Mil Hist. If you haven’t had a shufty yet, it is well worth a look.

Marlantes has been described elsewhere as a bit of a renaissance man. There is a distinct UK connection with this author as he was a Rhodes Scholar.

It is definitely something I’m looking forward to.

Mick
Thanks downloaded some interesting stuff from the library.